Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Nissan Quest  (Read 8148 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Nissan Quest
« on: November 28, 2012, 06:04:04 am »

"No question about it, the Quest is for a family that likes to stand out from the crowd," says Jonathan Yarkony.

Read More...

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Nissan Quest
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 06:28:46 am »
"....stand out in a crowd.... " more likely be bannished to Devil's Island (sorry Sable Island).  :)
After seeing the new Pathfinder why would you bother with this (in)Quest?   ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 07:55:31 am »
"....stand out in a crowd.... " more likely be bannished to Devil's Island (sorry Sable Island).  :)

I dunno - Mazda stopped importing the MPV in 2006 and replaced it with the CX-9 as it's seven passenger carrier.

VERY poor third row seating, reduced utility due to it's shape and real loading height, AWD fuel penalty.  I don't have the sales numbers, but I would suggest that the CX-9 has not sold anywhere near as well as the MPV (which was not a massive numbers generator either) did, based on the numbers I see out on the road.

The Pathy and the Quest are still catering to two different targe classes and the Pathy is not where near as utilitarian as the Quest is.

FWIW, I would have considered the 2007-current MPV if it were brought over and I was looking for a replacement for the 2006 MPV - the CX9 isn't anywhere on my radar as an equivalent-purpse machine. 

THIS WOULD BE: 

Fortune favours the bold!

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 09:14:58 am »

I dunno - Mazda stopped importing the MPV in 2006 and replaced it with the CX-9 as it's seven passenger carrier.

VERY poor third row seating, reduced utility due to it's shape and real loading height, AWD fuel penalty.  I don't have the sales numbers, but I would suggest that the CX-9 has not sold anywhere near as well as the MPV (which was not a massive numbers generator either) did, based on the numbers I see out on the road.

The Pathy and the Quest are still catering to two different targe classes and the Pathy is not where near as utilitarian as the Quest is.

FWIW, I would have considered the 2007-current MPV if it were brought over and I was looking for a replacement for the 2006 MPV - the CX9 isn't anywhere on my radar as an equivalent-purpse machine. 

THIS WOULD BE: 

Your right TOL on the Mazdas....I rarely see either MPV or CX9 here.
However, with the redesign Pathy, me thinks it is more user friendly now than the Quest, the barely opening side door in particular.  ")

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 10:03:17 am »
    I don't think that you can compare the Quest to the Pathfinder, methinks that they are quite different animals. Personally I like the looks of this van better and utility inside is akin to a Majic Wagon...but not quite in flat folded floor form; maybe comfort of mid row seating is a little better. From sales volume point of view the Chrysler Dodge product is way out in front due to price and style in my eye anyway. The looks of the current Majic Wagon are not too shabby even five years into the current shape. Add to that it's powerful engine and starting at about $20,000 and it is a hard act to eclipse.
    Anyway this is a decent looking vehicle and I like the instrument cluster with larger central speedo but I prefer the shift lever location on the Dodge which can be operated up or down a cog without taking your hand from the wheel. Not that I find much use for shifting gears usually on Auto Trannies and mine gets put into drive and left there, but in mountainous terrain they can be used to advantage to keep revs up instead of waiting for the auto tran to shift. Works well if towing a trailer.
    Ford are coming out with a new van with ecoboost engine that may offer competition. Not sure if it will be full size van or the smaller size. If I remember right the MPV was a little smaller.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 10:12:50 am »

I haven't been in one but all I've read about the CX-9 indicates that it has one of the more spacious third row seats in its class. Obviously though, it isn't going to be as spacious as a minivan. The CX-9 is also in a much higher price bracket than the MPV was.

I do think it would be great if Mazda could bring over the current MPV. However, it's quite a bit smaller than the competition and might be sized a bit too closely to the 5.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 10:52:56 am »

I haven't been in one but all I've read about the CX-9 indicates that it has one of the more spacious third row seats in its class. Obviously though, it isn't going to be as spacious as a minivan. The CX-9 is also in a much higher price bracket than the MPV was.

I do think it would be great if Mazda could bring over the current MPV. However, it's quite a bit smaller than the competition and might be sized a bit too closely to the 5.

I was leasing a 2007 Mazda 5 at the same time we bought the MPV, so I had a daily back-to-back test drive depending on whatever was parked at the end of the driveway when I went to work.  They are WORLDS apart in size, the 5 being based on the 3 platform and the MPV approximating the 6 platform. 

The MPV seats 7 very well and a full load of groceries - the 5 seated 6 (tight) and had room for a weekends worth of food or beer - with all seats up.  Not both  ;D.

The 5 is essentially tall station wagon with 3 row capability.  The MPV is the traditional minivan size offered by most manufacturers before the advent of the 'Grand' versions of the Caravan et al showed up and then became the norm as the SWB minivans we replaced by the one size-Grand-fits-all we have today.  If I were Mazda  I'd:

- dump the 5 and CX 9;
- bring the MPV back;
- add (return!) the Mazda 6 wagon; and
- add a new larger '9'-class sedan since Mazda has no upscale brand.

Mazda stopping at the 6 as their largest auto offering is the equivalent of Toyota's range topping model being a loaded Camry as it's highest end offering.  :P   Toyota has the Avalon and the ENTIRE Lexus lineup as well.

If Hyundai can go Genesis, there HAS to be a '9'-class auto in Mazda's future.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:04:00 am by Thinking Out Loud »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 11:14:13 am »
At the amount, or better said lack there of, I see of Quests around here, I have to ask, where are they actually selling these to make an update necessary??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 01:47:26 pm »
Dealer Shuttle

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12353
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 02:22:14 pm »
I've always like this Quest better than the Toyota and Honda offerings that outsell it by a good margin.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 02:23:53 pm »
I've always like this Quest better than the Toyota and Honda offerings that outsell it by a good margin.

:iagree:

Better interior, nice ride/handling compromise, quieter and decent fuel economy.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 02:29:17 pm »

Add me to the small list that likes this better than the Sienna or Oddy.  Styling wise, it's easy to see why some people don't care for it at all.  I've always liked the quirky looks of the Juke as well.  Go figure. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 03:17:57 pm »

Add me to the small list that likes this better than the Sienna or Oddy.  Styling wise, it's easy to see why some people don't care for it at all.  I've always liked the quirky looks of the Juke as well.  Go figure.

You guys are a strange bunch. Looks aside, how can someone say that the interior is better when it's so poorly designed?
The article specifically mentions narrow opening in the sliding doors (about a foot and a half). How is an adult supposed to get into the 3rd row through an opening that wide narrow? Turn sideways, then hunch over and crawl between the second row seats? Sheesh...
Secondly, no 8-seat option. That's it for me.

I have 3 car seats in the second row, with the 3rd row occupied by the in-laws. The Ody is very quiet on the highway, has a great engine and unbeatable fuel economy to boot (with the standard cylinder deactivation).
The RES (DVD) option in the Ody is $1,500 (some $700 less than the Quest).
Ody has a conventional auto rather than the loathed CVT.

I haven't driven the Quest, but EVEN IF it handles better than the Ody, I couldn't care less as that's not why I bought the minivan.

To each their own. To my family, the Quest is a nonsense car, and the Pathfinder would probably serve even better with its AWD.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 03:23:39 pm »

You guys are a strange bunch. Looks aside, how can someone say that the interior is better when it's so poorly designed?
The article specifically mentions narrow opening in the sliding doors (about a foot and a half). How is an adult supposed to get into the 3rd row through an opening that wide narrow? Turn sideways, then hunch over and crawl between the second row seats? Sheesh...

I have 3 car seats in the second row, with the 3rd row occupied by the in-laws. The Ody is very quiet on the highway, has a great engine and unbeatable fuel economy to boot (with the standard cylinder deactivation).

I haven't driven the Quest, but EVEN IF it handles better than the Ody, I couldn't care less as that's not why I bought the minivan.

To each their own. To my family, the Quest is a nonsense car, and the Pathfinder would probably serve even better with its AWD.

I haven't driven the Quest but I sat in one and spent some time around it at Pearson airport last year waiting for a flight.  I had zero issues getting in and out of it, and even sitting in the 3rd row seats.  I'm only 5'8" so take that into consideration.  I thought the interior was exceptionally nice.  Like you stated though, to each their own.....I am not a fan of the Ody styling whatsoever. 

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 03:27:42 pm »
It's funny that you hear the guys noting how nice the Quest looks. Many times I've heard my wife and friends saying how ugly the previous iterations of Quest were. Explains why I seldom see these on the road and goes to show how much decision making women have, especially with minivans.

Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 03:32:22 pm »
Looks like the Quest is now the conservative one and the Odyssey is the weirdo.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 03:41:53 pm »
- dump the 5 and CX 9;

You take that back! The 5, CX-9, and MPV (or Mazda 8 as it's called in some markets) can co-exist!

Actually the 5 and MPV did co-exist in 2006. What happened to that?

The 5 doesn't fit my need at the moment, but it would for many young families who want a fuel efficient vehicle for a family of 4.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 03:53:13 pm »

Other than the "lightning bolt" feature, how is the Ody a weirdo?
If anything, the Quest is the weird disproportionate one.
The interior may be nice and well deserve the Infinity badge but the Ody is beautiful and more functional on the inside with "preferred" drivetrain, better fuel economy and stronger resale value.

I don't particularly find the Ody to be a looker but the Quest was not even considered as an option while the Dodge Caravan was.

When the new Quest first came out, I remember seeing a couple, MAYBE 3 of them. It must be months since I saw one last. Caravans and Odyssey's are everywhere for a reason, and looks isn't it.

Just sayin'

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 04:00:51 pm »

Other than the "lightning bolt" feature, how is the Ody a weirdo?
If anything, the Quest is the weird disproportionate one.
The interior may be nice and well deserve the Infinity badge but the Ody is beautiful and more functional on the inside with "preferred" drivetrain, better fuel economy and stronger resale value.

I don't particularly find the Ody to be a looker but the Quest was not even considered as an option while the Dodge Caravan was.

When the new Quest first came out, I remember seeing a couple, MAYBE 3 of them. It must be months since I saw one last. Caravans and Odyssey's are everywhere for a reason, and looks isn't it.

Just sayin'

I don't see many Quests around either.  It's styling is very quirky to say the least.  Also, the Quest won't even come to mind to the average Minivan shopper.  The Ody, Sienna, and Caravan have that market pretty much nailed.  I still prefer the Quest, but thankfully I'll never be in the market for a Minivan.   :)

Btw, YTD sales....

Quest 605
Ody    8014

:)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12353
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 04:13:13 pm »

My strangeness is not in dispute  :D , but to answer some of your points:

1) I have yet to occupy a third row that is easily accessible to, and extremely comfortable for adults.  The competitors might be a bit better in this regard, but it's not a defining feature for me.  The back row would likely see only child occupants the majority of the time.  The driver's seat is the nicest place to be of the three. Check that - I don't think I've actually sat in the most current Sienna.

2) I don't want a CVT in a sporting ride (Maxima) but don't mind it at all in a conveyance such as this.

3) Good handling matters to me regardless of sporting intent - manouverability is something I want in an emergency evasive manouver.

4) I really dislike the styling of the Odyssey.  The Sienna is just okay.  The Quest I find appealing.

5) I don't need seating for 8.  Or 9.  Or 10.  So that's not a deal-breaker for me.

Hope that clarifies the strangeness somewhat.  There are alwas buyers for a slightly off-beat, quirky, imperfect-but-apealing offering.  There are far more though, who just want a beige Camry.  Nothing so very strange about that to me.