Author Topic: Comparison Test: Luxury Hot Hatches  (Read 41655 times)

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
Re: Comparison Test: Luxury Hot Hatches
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2015, 04:33:41 pm »

Cadillac was top tier from their inception up until the 1960s. A 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham ($13K at the time, $108k in today's money) had a higher MSRP than the Rolls Silver Cloud, and much better performance. Both were limited editions and both were handmade with top quality materials.

By the end of the 1960s, they had dwindled to being slightly better versions of other division's models. By the end of the 1970s they were hopelessly out of date.

Personally, I think their most epic cars were from the 1930s, like this 1932 V16 Coupe:

Very interesting. I knew Cadillacs were once considered the "Standard Of The World", but I had no idea they were even more expensive than the contemporary RR Silver Cloud :o I always assumed Rolls and Bentley were significantly more expensive.

Northernridge

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2015, 04:47:41 pm »
sooooooo, where's the luxury hot hatches??  i don't see any.

The GLA AMG is very definitely a luxury hot hatch... the other two, I exaggerated a bit... wagons, crossovers and small hatches all have a hatch opening, so I went with that...

the thinking was something along the lines of: "I've outgrown my STI hatch.can't get one anymore, but can afford to spend a little more this time around, so what thing has that kind of power, handling and practicality..." and on the flip side, "what would it take to match a base Macan in performance". say what you will about diluting the brand, it is very hard to match its performance in that size and class.

I'm still not in love with that title, though, so if you had any better suggestions I would actually consifder replacing this one (it's just kinda boring for a comparison that is more about fun)". the workin title was "hot winter wagons", but they're even less wagons than hatches.

High test hatches and blurred lines

5 doors and a badge – who's the new sheriff?

A wagon, a CUV and a hot hatch enter a race...

Triple threat – fast 5-door throw down

Hot hatch show down – 2 of these things is not like the other

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2015, 04:52:42 pm »
sooooooo, where's the luxury hot hatches??  i don't see any.

The GLA AMG is very definitely a luxury hot hatch... the other two, I exaggerated a bit... wagons, crossovers and small hatches all have a hatch opening, so I went with that...

the thinking was something along the lines of: "I've outgrown my STI hatch.can't get one anymore, but can afford to spend a little more this time around, so what thing has that kind of power, handling and practicality..." and on the flip side, "what would it take to match a base Macan in performance". say what you will about diluting the brand, it is very hard to match its performance in that size and class.

I'm still not in love with that title, though, so if you had any better suggestions I would actually consifder replacing this one (it's just kinda boring for a comparison that is more about fun)". the workin title was "hot winter wagons", but they're even less wagons than hatches.

High test hatches and blurred lines

are you charging consultation fees for this?  ;)

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2015, 05:04:10 pm »

I like ^^this title.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2015, 05:06:31 pm »

I like ^^this title.

Agreed.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2015, 05:16:34 pm »

I like ^^this title.

Agreed.

ummm, but each of these three are kind of different, so all of these things are not like the other

I like "A Wagon, a Crossover and a Hot Hatch enter a snowy parking lot..." but we gotta acknowledge that these are all luxury, and now the title is getting too long...

maybe I'll just put in the make/model names...

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2015, 05:23:58 pm »
Of the 3, I'd go with the Volvo out of personal preference (in black since they're bringing back this year again). The issue is the back seat with 2 growing kids. Someone mentioned the Golf R (sport wagon, I assume), which hasn't reached production let alone even considered for North America. That said, if Subaru brought the Levorg (and renamed it) along with the Golf R wagon, buyers then have choice galore. Now, if only BMW and Audi brought back over their wagons with their more powerful engines...dreaming I guess.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2015, 05:30:49 pm »
The new Cadillac ATS-V will have 450 hp of twin turbo V6 power.
yup, the new ATS-V gets the engine used in the previous CTS-V and the new CTS-V gets the Z06 engine (something like 650HP/630TQ).  :drool:

Correction: The ATS-V gets the same engine as the current CTS V-sport (twin turbo 3.6 V6).
you may have misunderstood me...what i referenced was the new 2016 models...the 2016 ATS-V gets the engine from the 2015 CTS-V, and the 2016 CTS-V gets the engine from the Z06.

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/cadillac/2016-atsv/feature#
http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/cadillac/2016-ctsv/feature
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 05:32:38 pm by dirtyjeffer »
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2015, 05:42:29 pm »

I like ^^this title.

Agreed.

ummm, but each of these three are kind of different, so all of these things are not like the other

I like "A Wagon, a Crossover and a Hot Hatch enter a snowy parking lot..." but we gotta acknowledge that these are all luxury, and now the title is getting too long...

Here we go, it's mumsnet again!

:rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2015, 05:43:31 pm »
yup, the new ATS-V gets the engine used in the previous CTS-V and the new CTS-V gets the Z06 engine (something like 650HP/630TQ).  :drool:

Correction: The ATS-V gets the same engine as the current CTS V-sport (twin turbo 3.6 V6).
you may have misunderstood me...what i referenced was the new 2016 models...the 2016 ATS-V gets the engine from the 2015 CTS-V, and the 2016 CTS-V gets the engine from the Z06.

You're still wrong. The CTS-V has always had a V8. The ATS-V has a V6.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2015, 05:45:25 pm »

I like ^^this title.

Agreed.

Agreed, they are all different  :) A wagon, a CUV, and Bruce Jenner 

Northernridge

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2015, 06:11:03 pm »
Comparison Test: 3 random cars

;D

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Comparison Test: Luxury Hot Hatches
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2015, 06:11:45 pm »
With lots of power?

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2015, 06:59:32 pm »
Too funny. ;D
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2015, 12:06:36 am »

You're still wrong. The CTS-V has always had a V8. The ATS-V has a V6.
i see...you are arguing semantics...the CTS Vsport is essentially what the current CTS-V is...the previous "CTS-V" doesn't exist, until the 2016 model comes back, which has the Z06 engine in it...for all intents purposes, the Vsport is the current CTS-V...the current Vsport replaced the previous CTS-V...the next gen CTS V (2016 model) brings that label back (CTS-V).

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2015, 10:14:08 am »
The CTS V-sport does not replace any of the V-Cars it's meant to straddle the regular line and the v-line.

It goes up against the GS 350 Fsport, the Msport cars, etc.
whatever...currently, there isn't a "V" car...there is a Vsport...that's all i meant.

go here:  http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/cadillac/cts-sedan/overview

click on the VSPORT tag on the line of selectable links below the first batch of images...they show the rear end of the CTS VSPORT...there is a V crest on it...sure, it doesn't say CTS-V, but it doesn't say VSport either, hence the reason why i lumped it in with the V line...if there was currently a CTS-V, i wouldn't have worded it that way previously and while the VSPORT isn't a CTS-V technically, it's as close to one that GM currently offers...the V6 VSPORT has more power/torque than the V8 CTS-V it replaced...which is why i mistakenly called it a CTS-V.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 02:37:27 pm by dirtyjeffer »

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2015, 02:58:46 pm »
The CTS V-sport does not replace any of the V-Cars it's meant to straddle the regular line and the v-line.

It goes up against the GS 350 Fsport, the Msport cars, etc.
whatever...currently, there isn't a "V" car...there is a Vsport...that's all i meant.

go here:  http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/cadillac/cts-sedan/overview

click on the VSPORT tag on the line of selectable links below the first batch of images...they show the rear end of the CTS VSPORT...there is a V crest on it...sure, it doesn't say CTS-V, but it doesn't say VSport either, hence the reason why i lumped it in with the V line...if there was currently a CTS-V, i wouldn't have worded it that way previously and while the VSPORT isn't a CTS-V technically, it's as close to one that GM currently offers...the V6 VSPORT has more power/torque than the V8 CTS-V it replaced...which is why i mistakenly called it a CTS-V.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/500-swan-songs-2015-cadillac-cts-v-coupe-special-edition-announced/

Just sayin'. :P

Offline The3Rs

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 3 Volvo V70Rs
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2015, 03:27:50 pm »
Each of these have merit, I suppose but gotta go with the Volvo. Ahem, I may, just may, be a wee biased however. Where are the manual options? I'll never be as quick as any auto, even a slushbox, and my heel-and-toeing  is more like heel-and-damn-not-again, but I sure do like it and am fortunate to live where there are open roads.
About touch screens; they don't belong in cars as they take your eyes off the road too much. If something important is buried in a sub-menu, either the system was not designed properly or maybe it's something you just don't need in the first place. Muscle memory and tactile feedback from a button or knob is superior, they never wash out in bright sun and they don't affect your vision at night.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 03:59:10 pm by The3Rs »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire