Author Topic: Interesting MORONS seen on the way to work  (Read 973908 times)

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: Interesting MORONS seen on the way to work
« Reply #2160 on: December 22, 2014, 11:43:13 am »
  ^^
^^^^
I encounter this often with pickup trucks and similar large vehicles. It's the I'm driving something bigger than you syndrome. Usually small guy wearing camo in pickup truck.

Huh....Ive found this with an older guy wearing a suit driving a mid life crisis sports car, soccer mom driving a minivan, 16 year old with a weirdly pointed hat driving a sub box on wheels, guido wearing adidas tracksuit and driving an X6.......really here, douchebaggery extends to all ages and lifestyles.

Those people do exist but I think it a geographical thing here whereby most pickups and large SUV's I see are being used as commuter vehicles and barely carrying or hauling more than the driver.

Mind you those frustrated minivan drivers can be scary.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:45:43 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #2161 on: December 22, 2014, 12:07:33 pm »
  ^^
^^^^
I encounter this often with pickup trucks and similar large vehicles. It's the I'm driving something bigger than you syndrome. Usually small guy wearing camo in pickup truck.

Huh....Ive found this with an older guy wearing a suit driving a mid life crisis sports car, soccer mom driving a minivan, 16 year old with a weirdly pointed hat driving a sub box on wheels, guido wearing adidas tracksuit and driving an X6.......really here, douchebaggery extends to all ages and lifestyles.

Those people do exist but I think it a geographical thing here whereby most pickups and large SUV's I see are being used as commuter vehicles and barely carrying or hauling more than the driver.

Mind you those frustrated minivan drivers can be scary.
No no no!  Don't apologize.  I think you were bang on.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #2162 on: December 22, 2014, 01:30:35 pm »
My morning commute involves a left turn, there is 2 turning lanes.  As soon as you make the turn, the right hand of the 2 lanes ends.  I'm sure you know where this is going.  Most people just stick to the left hand of the 2 lanes.  You'll always get someone take to the right lane to try and blast past everyone.  Sometimes the person in the left lane will do his hardest to not let him past. 

This morning's pissing contest was courtesy of an Orlando and a Cruze.  The Orlando won.  The Cruze glued himself to the Orlando's back bumper for a few km's.   ::)

There's a few like that around here, too.

Sorry, but it's stupid to have ten cars lined up in the left lane while the right one sits empty. I'm not trying to "blast by" anyone, but I sure am going to make efficient use of the lanes and use the emptier one. Everyone else who chose the left lane could have done the same, so what's the problem?

Usually, people are courteous and let me in afterwards, but sometimes I need to put the spurs to the GTI if it looks like people are going to be tools. I've never been caught out yet. :)

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: December 22, 2014, 01:38:17 pm »
^^^^^^^
Yup.  With you on this one.  There are a couple of places on my commute home where there's a .5 km long line of cars in the left lane with the right hand lane free.  What's a person to do?  ;-)

The worst example of this is what my family fondly remembers as the "Trip from Hell".  An 8 hour drive back to south of Ottawa from Washington DC, turned into a 13 hour marathon.  The hold up?  Morons queuing for literally miles in one lane because they'd seen a (I'm not making this up) a sign warning them that the lane would be closed 4 miles ahead because of bridge work.  Multiply this by the 5 or 6 bridges in a 60 mile stretch where they were doing work and you get the picture.  Utter and total stupidity, chaos and lemming-like behavior. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2164 on: December 22, 2014, 01:43:12 pm »
My morning commute involves a left turn, there is 2 turning lanes.  As soon as you make the turn, the right hand of the 2 lanes ends.  I'm sure you know where this is going.  Most people just stick to the left hand of the 2 lanes.  You'll always get someone take to the right lane to try and blast past everyone.  Sometimes the person in the left lane will do his hardest to not let him past. 

This morning's pissing contest was courtesy of an Orlando and a Cruze.  The Orlando won.  The Cruze glued himself to the Orlando's back bumper for a few km's.   ::)

Sorry, but it's stupid to have ten cars lined up in the left lane while the right one sits empty. I'm not trying to "blast by" anyone, but I sure am going to make efficient use of the lanes and use the emptier one. Everyone else who chose the left lane could have done the same, so what's the problem?

Usually, people are courteous and let me in afterwards, but sometimes I need to put the spurs to the GTI if it looks like people are going to be tools. I've never been caught out yet. :)

:iagree: People here have no idea how to do a proper zipper merge so there is a lot of butt hurt, "you shall not pass!!" type of drivers. Happens all the freaking time.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #2165 on: December 22, 2014, 01:43:26 pm »

It's just that the lane ends up being so short once you turn.  Maybe I should have worded it differently.  It's just funny because pretty much every morning is a drag race/pissing contest between the 2 front cars.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: December 22, 2014, 01:46:13 pm »
^^ yeah, one of the ones I know is short like that, too.

Still, makes no difference to me, I still use it. And if I happen to be in the left lane, I also have zero problem letting the guy on the right merge in front of me. Who the fvck cares? ???

Northernridge

« Reply #2167 on: December 22, 2014, 02:31:22 pm »
^I've found effective merging to be all about projecting intent. If you come off the ramp, get up to speed, signal and appear to be taking the lane no matter what, people virtually always make room. It's when you're indecisive (slowing down, leaning forward, 15 rapid shoulder checks, etc.)  that people tend to become a$$holes and not let you in. I really believe that people 'read' the mergerer for signals.

Meanwhile, I make room for merger-ers, it's the law and the safe thing to do.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: December 22, 2014, 02:33:01 pm »
^I've found effective merging to be all about projecting intent. If you come off the ramp, get up to speed, signal and appear to be taking the lane no matter what, people virtually always make room. It's when you're indecisive (slowing down, leaning forward, 15 rapid shoulder checks, etc.)  that people tend to become a$$holes and not let you in. I really believe that people 'read' the mergerer for signals.

....yup.  Any sign of weakness and you're screwed.  Law of the jungle.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #2169 on: December 22, 2014, 02:51:51 pm »
hmm  the only time i'm decisive is when i'm driving....  hella decisive, then...   :rofl2:

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #2170 on: December 22, 2014, 03:33:22 pm »
if you know a lane is ending/closed and you get in it to get ahead of others who are currently in front of you in slow/stopped traffic .. i'm sorry, but that doesn't help anything. do you honestly think the people in the other lane don't see the empty lane? do you think you are somehow smarter than all those other people? all you are doing is keeping traffic moving at the exact same speed if not slower as the sudden braking to let people in can cause more disruption than volume. the only benefit is that you, individually, are further ahead... so again... why do you *deserve* to be ahead due to your own self importance? (not meant at anyone, more an open note kind of thing)

if it is regular driving volume and the lane ends, whatever.. get over at the end and hopefully people understand a zipper pattern. no issue there whatsoever. at a light? why wait through one more light, so i get it for sure.

too often the people who get into the closing/ending lane think they get priority over the other lane though... they should get no thought and should be on their own.. it is not the persons duty to let you in because you wanted to get further ahead... it is your duty to find a way in. people forget that they might not be the first car that has squeezed in in stopped traffic and if people keep doing it, then the open lane won't move, traffic gets held up more and people get more angry. and after lights, you are the one who got to skip ahead a light, so get over when you can, don't force it thinking they are supposed to get out of your way or *have* to do a zipper pattern for you.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2171 on: December 22, 2014, 03:37:12 pm »

Same here but for some reason along the QEW people have a hate-on for TT-RS's and speed up to block me.....not a good idea.

Northernridge

« Reply #2172 on: December 22, 2014, 03:40:45 pm »

Same here but for some reason along the QEW people have a hate-on for TT-RS's and speed up to block me.....not a good idea.

Funny. I seem to get both extremes in the Berlin taxi.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2173 on: December 22, 2014, 03:43:34 pm »

Funny. I seem to get both extremes in the Berlin taxi.

I get some respect form other Audi and German car drivers but the worst offenders are mini van and SUV drivers. I guess they can't stand the sight of a guy having fun  :P

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: December 22, 2014, 04:54:23 pm »
if you know a lane is ending/closed and you get in it to get ahead of others who are currently in front of you in slow/stopped traffic .. i'm sorry, but that doesn't help anything. do you honestly think the people in the other lane don't see the empty lane? do you think you are somehow smarter than all those other people? all you are doing is keeping traffic moving at the exact same speed if not slower as the sudden braking to let people in can cause more disruption than volume. the only benefit is that you, individually, are further ahead... so again... why do you *deserve* to be ahead due to your own self importance? (not meant at anyone, more an open note kind of thing)

if it is regular driving volume and the lane ends, whatever.. get over at the end and hopefully people understand a zipper pattern. no issue there whatsoever. at a light? why wait through one more light, so i get it for sure.

too often the people who get into the closing/ending lane think they get priority over the other lane though... they should get no thought and should be on their own.. it is not the persons duty to let you in because you wanted to get further ahead... it is your duty to find a way in. people forget that they might not be the first car that has squeezed in in stopped traffic and if people keep doing it, then the open lane won't move, traffic gets held up more and people get more angry. and after lights, you are the one who got to skip ahead a light, so get over when you can, don't force it thinking they are supposed to get out of your way or *have* to do a zipper pattern for you.

No, it's the most efficient use of precious space. Why should one lane back up for miles, blocking entrances, driveways, intersections, etc., while one lane of perfectly useful pavement sits empty? It makes no sense.

Zipper merge FTW.

Had this situation a while ago: traffic on the expressway is basically stopped, bumper to bumper. I'm on a collector road and have waited through two different lights and general traffic chaos just to get to the on-ramp to merge onto the expressway, but the numbskulls in front are too "polite" to go to the end of the merge lane to merge, so instead leave 500m of empty pavement up ahead as they wait to merge before the merge lane even begins.

After the way clears, I slowly (like 5-10 km/h) cruise down to the end of the merge lane then put on my signal to merge where I'm supposed to. Of course, dude in a giant pickup next to me is apoplectic that I'm trying to "butt in" and glues himself to the bumper of the car in front, as do many of the other morons.

FFS, people, use your heads!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 05:03:49 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2175 on: December 22, 2014, 05:09:34 pm »
But if they let you in you will be in front of them.  :P

In my neighborhood we have the opposite problem. There are a lot of cars parked in the curb lanes on many streets but people will try to pass when there are a few cars not parked. One day I was going about 10kph in slow moving traffic and the lady behind me pulled up beside me and was shocked that I didn't let her in.  :nono:

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: December 22, 2014, 05:13:28 pm »
^^ yeah, I've read the rants from you easterners about cars zipping out of the travelling lane to gain a few spaces by using the merge lane/parking lane or whatever. I agree that is pushing the envelope a bit too far. Thankfully, I've never seen that out here. Of course, I do my best to stay the hell out of the city at rush hour, so maybe I'm just blissfully unaware.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Interesting MORONS seen on the way to work
« Reply #2177 on: December 22, 2014, 05:15:07 pm »
3-4 cars in the left lane, I'll queue in behind them.  No chance of making the light cycle, I'll use the right lane.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Northernridge

« Reply #2178 on: December 22, 2014, 05:17:58 pm »
^^ yeah, I've read the rants from you easterners about cars zipping out of the travelling lane to gain a few spaces by using the merge lane/parking lane or whatever. I agree that is pushing the envelope a bit too far. Thankfully, I've never seen that out here. Of course, I do my best to stay the hell out of the city at rush hour, so maybe I'm just blissfully unaware.

^^A common issue in Winnipeg is the endless construction that closes lanes with poor warning signage. I find folks to be pretty understanding and A) let people in and, B) not try to gain spots in the last 200 metres of the closed lane.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: December 22, 2014, 05:24:10 pm »
^^ In a perfect world, there would be no such thing as "gaining spots" because nobody would leave 200m of empty pavement in the lane about to close. Just drive to the end and merge there. And if one lane has a shorter line than another, by all means, go ahead and use the shorter lane: everything will even out in the end. :)