Author Topic: First Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Golf  (Read 8051 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Golf
« on: February 25, 2013, 06:31:47 am »

Volkswagen's seventh generation Golf won't arrive here until 2014, but an early European sampling suggests Audi-worthy sophistication.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Golf
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 06:48:53 am »
I'm glad to see the Golf finally losing some weight.  It has been way too heavy for many years now.

If VW wants to keep the Golf as the premium car, how about making the Polo in Mexico and getting down and dirty in the sub-compact hatch market?  A 3cyl diesel Polo for $16k would have to be a sales star.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 06:54:56 am »
"Premium compact hatchback pricing"    Why is this a low?   Personally I think that NA should get Golfs with all the hi-tech gear that they make and then and only then put the price on. Especially the GTI.
VW already make cheap decontented cars for NA...sure they have been a great success but then so are Chrysler 200s and Calibres.

As for the A3 sedan only not the hatchback it was designed to be... no matter how good a car it is it is still a bodge.

I agree with JohnM that VW should bring the Polo over.   

FWIW this delay of a year in bringing the new Golf to NA is losing them the chance to sell me my 4th GTI but I doubt they care.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 08:08:22 am »
Golf/Jetta is a duo represented by two of most interesting engines. The first one is the old 2.0 L 115 HP most performance negligible in its class, replaced recently with 5 cylinder 2.5 least fuel efficient of all compacts. On the other side is the most economical wonder TDI making VWs hybrid frugal vehicles. But as long as Canadians are Americanized, the functional hatchback and overpriced TDI versions respectively never made it like in Europe.

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 11:21:01 am »
One of these latter two engines seems destined to arrive in North America to (finally) replace the aging 2.5-litre five-cylinder, which is relatively loud and coarse.

Agree if you're standing outside with the bonnet/hood open and someone is stamping their foot on the accelerator. At a red light standstill it's one of the quietest cars I've ever sat in, and the decibel levels are civilized on the 401.

Wonder if the larger size will impact the handling capabilities ? The current Mk 6 is a great corner swerving piece of machinery.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +168/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 12:19:13 pm »
Not rumblings: production in Puebla is confirmed for our next Golf / GTI. Alls bets are on however regarding content and pricing - nothing leaked so far.  Also confirmed: new 1.8t replacing the 2.5 fiver in NA.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline jpd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 01:29:11 pm »
VW cannot bring the Polo in Canada, because there is a limited number of cars that VW is allowed to bring here. This is what my VW dealer told me. :-[

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 02:17:42 pm »
VW cannot bring the Polo in Canada, because there is a limited number of cars that VW is allowed to bring here. This is what my VW dealer told me. :-[

VW dealers have always been, and continue to be, pond scum. The Polo would never be sold here in sufficient numbers to make money on it. The Euro is too strong vs the US dollar, making profits on a small car impossible in America at prices Americans would be willing to pay. Witness the success of the America model Jetta.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 02:23:30 pm »
Yeah vanstar, you are absolutely right...Cars like Polo (don't mind Up!) are wrong business case here. I still wonder are the  Fiesta/Mazda2 sales close to the target?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 02:25:07 pm »
I don't think the Fiesta's doing all that shabby. The Mazda 2 is likely struggling because of its lack of features, despite being the most fun to drive subcompact. Even though I prefer how the Mazda 2 drives, I'd likely go with a Rio5 SX because of its features.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 02:28:33 pm »
How do we get so off topic? lol.

I think the North American Golf should follow suit with the NADM Jetta. But they should try to retain the real suspension system if possible.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 02:43:31 pm »
VW Puebla GTI  :D ?
It all depends on the price I guess. It may not be so bad if the engine and the tranny, esp. DSG are still imported. I'd wait for the second production year though.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline jpd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 03:41:49 pm »

VW dealers have always been, and continue to be, pond scum. The Polo would never be sold here in sufficient numbers to make money on it. The Euro is too strong vs the US dollar, making profits on a small car impossible in America at prices Americans would be willing to pay. Witness the success of the America model Jetta.

I asked that a while ago when the Euro was much weaker than today.  The Polo reviews are excellent since many years and I guess that many would prefer buying a Polo instead of a lethargic Yaris.     

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 03:50:40 pm »
It all depends on the price I guess. It may not be so bad if the engine and the tranny, esp. DSG are still imported. I'd wait for the second production year though.

I few years ago I compared the CR reliability ratings of Mexican and German manufactured VWs. There wasn't any correlation. One of the least reliable models was assembled in Germany, one of the most reliable was hecho en Mexico.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 04:21:38 pm »
An important omission from this article: in the European markets, the lower end Golfs come with torsion beam rear suspension, while the more upscale versions have a fully independent set up. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the non-GTI variants that make it over here get the torsion beam setup.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 05:16:08 pm »
Yeah vanstar, you are absolutely right...Cars like Polo (don't mind Up!) are wrong business case here. I still wonder are the  Fiesta/Mazda2 sales close to the target?

You are comparing apples and oranges, that's why. Have a look at the base prices of the Polo and the Fiesta.

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 06:02:35 pm »

I few years ago I compared the CR reliability ratings of Mexican and German manufactured VWs. There wasn't any correlation. One of the least reliable models was assembled in Germany, one of the most reliable was hecho en Mexico.
My 2011 TDI wagon wears a Sombrero and nothing has fallen off  with 70k+ on it :)

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 06:44:49 pm »
Hey Vanstar, How I can compare Fiesta and Polo? Only Fiesta is available and of course, has a Canadian price. Existing prices from other markets aren'r relevant...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 08:18:41 pm »
where its made is generally quite irrelevant...what is important is how its made and with what...many auto plants have seen significant investment in new automation and equipment...the robots that assemble much of the vehicle on the line are the same regardless of what country they are actually in.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline robsaw

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 11:45:33 pm »

"Allowed" by whom?  VW is certainly not prevented by any law or regulation from bringing in as many non-NAFTA vehicles they want as long as they meet the safety and emissions regulatory requirements and pay the required duty.  It would be an internal VW decision based on economics and marketing considerations.