Author Topic: FJC...?  (Read 39516 times)

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
Re: FJC...?
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2015, 11:05:07 am »
I can't quite believe what I'm reading.

Not only is a Corolla having a service issue (gasp!). But an extended warranty is actually believed to have been a good purchase (double gasp!).

It's like the poles of the autos.ca world have switched position!  ;D
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2015, 11:34:59 am »

Not only is a Corolla having a service issue (gasp!). But an extended warranty is actually believed to have been a good purchase (double gasp!).

All the more reason for you to start (or continue) pushing those extended warranties.  Oh Wait, that's the finance guy who does that, isn't it?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2015, 02:20:41 pm »

:rofl: :rofl:

Update:
They think that it's the Vacuum Switching Valve.

Cheap:
http://www.amazon.ca/Dorman-911-601-Toyota-Vacuum-Switching/dp/B0042OX8VS

...still free to me ;D

Problem is, they don't have the part in stock (and since it's under the ECP, they're probably ordering the part of Amazon to save $ :P).  It should arrive on the 7am delivery tomorrow morning...allegedly.

I'm heading to buddy's cottage in the Kawarthas, so we'll take the Fozzie XT (gonna be triple the cost of gas :() and I'll pick the 'Rolla up Monday morning en route to work.  We'll see if the problem is fixed by then ::)

By the way, the dealership service department is being very nice about everything - but they simply don't return my calls.  At all.  "I have to check on something, Noto, I'll give you a call back in 15 mins."

3 hours later...

nothing.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1252/-7197
    • View Profile
FJC...?
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2015, 07:07:33 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^ Don't you hate it when someone isn't reliable and makes you wait on them?  :D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
FJC...?
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2015, 10:29:45 am »
P0171 can even be the air intake hose from the MAF to the throttle body is ripped or has a hole in it, allowing unmetered air in to the engine.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2015, 01:58:37 pm »
P0171 can even be the air intake hose from the MAF to the throttle body is ripped or has a hole in it, allowing unmetered air in to the engine.
I'll let you know when I get the car back.

...so far, still in the shop ::)

^^^^^^^^^^ Don't you hate it when someone isn't reliable and makes you wait on them?  :D

I apologized and bought you and IQ lunch!  What more can I do :(

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1252/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2015, 05:20:59 pm »
^^I just can't help myself!!

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2015, 06:10:17 am »
http://www.samarins.com/diagnose/p0441.html

This time showing error code p0441.

Apparently vsv purge valve was stuck open.  It, and the charcoal canister, were replaced. 

Problem solved... for now.

UPDATE:
Drove it to work today - all seems peachy and fully covered under the ECP.  I'm very impressed, actually.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 10:37:19 am by Noto »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2015, 09:26:42 am »

I apologized and bought you and IQ lunch!  What more can I do :(

That makes a LOT more sense now.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2015, 12:11:39 pm »
So I got an oil change last week at the dealership ($52, taxes-in) and then drove to Guelph for the weekend (as mentioned elsewhere).  Lady No-san started the car while I cleared the snow from the windows, and I heard a grinding noise during/1-second after the start.  I thought she just held the key too long and thought nothing more of it.

This morning I heard it again.  There's a TSB for it:
http://www.toyotapart.com/BRIEF_ENGINE_KNOCK_RATTLE_NOISE_AT_COLD_STARTUP_T-SB-0087-09.pdf

Video (not mine):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRkVg6Vwutk

...but it's not listed under my VIN.  Besides, we're beyond the 60 month mark for the powertrain warranty, though we have an 84 month ECP that should cover this.  This will be 'fun' :popcorn:

I've also found two other TSBs that I want addressed - one is the involuntary closure of the trunklid (we had received a notification, and when we brought it into the dealership, they said "I don't see any recall when I type in your VIN".  Asshat doesn't know the difference between a recall and a TSB.  The other TSB is to fix the on-centre steering feel.  I hate the Corolla's steering and hope that they'll do this fix:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM430036/INSL-PE10008-54266.pdf

I'm really hoping to get these addressed, but have very, very limited hopes of doing so.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:13:15 pm by No-san »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2015, 04:35:16 pm »
Updated:

The Corolla went in for said repairs yesternight.  Shockingly, the noise on startup did exhibit itself (an intermittent problem that the dealership didn't deny existed!!!) and so the VVT-i gear is being replaced.

The trunk hinge arms are being replaced with a new, spring-loaded system that will stop it from falling back down (something I've never experienced, but hey, why not?) if parked on an incline or in higher winds.

And finally, I found a TSB for steering feel/wandering at highway speeds.  They are addressing that, too.  They need the car until tomorrow because they've already put in >6 hours of labour and can't finish everything today based on the queue.

Neat.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2015, 04:51:06 pm »
Aren't the trunk spring a recall?  We got an actual recall notice about them.  Maybe 09 vs 10?

And why so long about the VVTi gear?  We had that done when the car was almost new, it's something they've known about for a long time and I thought all the cars would have been done long ago.  Our car didn't make the noise, the dealer just made the change proactively.

Sounds like your dealer needs a tune-up on getting stuff done.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2015, 04:59:09 pm »
Aren't the trunk spring a recall?  We got an actual recall notice about them.  Maybe 09 vs 10?

And why so long about the VVTi gear?  We had that done when the car was almost new, it's something they've known about for a long time and I thought all the cars would have been done long ago.  Our car didn't make the noise, the dealer just made the change proactively.

Sounds like your dealer needs a tune-up on getting stuff done.
We got the TSB (NOT a recall...it was an optional thing) notice in 2011 about the trunk hinge arm.  I brought it in and the service advisor told me he saw no recalls on my VIN and refused to do the work.  It was only when the VVT-i went that I started looking for recalls/TSBs to figure out what was wrong when I saw the trunk thing and reported it to the manager about poor service.

And the 6 hours was including the trunk arm, diagnosis, and road test for the steering thing.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2015, 07:27:00 pm »
It was only when the VVT-i went that I started looking for recalls/TSBs to figure out what was wrong when I saw the trunk thing and reported it to the manager about poor service.

Having to do that leg work yourself blows!

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2015, 12:40:24 pm »
It was only when the VVT-i went that I started looking for recalls/TSBs to figure out what was wrong when I saw the trunk thing and reported it to the manager about poor service.

Having to do that leg work yourself blows!
Agreed.  I suggested to JB and JY that an article be written about SBs vs Recalls...and I was sort of hoping Jacob would affix one of his usual descriptors to the title (i.e. "FRAUD!") ;D

It's ludicrous to me that Toyota acknowledges that there's a widespread problem, doesn't notify owners, but IF the owner knows what to complain about, and IF the service advisor acknowledges the problem (HA!), then the mechanics will have a bulletin to describe how to effect the repairs.  Thanks, Toyota, ya scumbag.  Make it a recall, voluntary or otherwise.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2015, 12:50:05 pm »
Toyota, in my experience, is one of the better makes for issuing recalls as opposed to TSBs and they also seem good at TSBs.  Most makes just bury their heads in the sand and hope everyone goes away.

Subaru?  Despite their rep, they're TERRIBLE.  Slightly better lately, but man, they left owners on the curb with blown head gaskets, failing transmissions, blown turbos, and engines that drank oil like a dying man in the desert that found a fountain.  No recalls and barely a TSB to be seen.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2015, 12:56:44 pm »
Toyota, in my experience, is one of the better makes for issuing recalls as opposed to TSBs and they also seem good at TSBs.  Most makes just bury their heads in the sand and hope everyone goes away.

Subaru?  Despite their rep, they're TERRIBLE.  Slightly better lately, but man, they left owners on the curb with blown head gaskets, failing transmissions, blown turbos, and engines that drank oil like a dying man in the desert that found a fountain.  No recalls and barely a TSB to be seen.
TSB = Toyota Service Bulletin, so Subaru's would be an SSB ;D

Specific manufacturers aside, I would love to make all SBs illegal and force all manufacturers to issue recalls to any defect known or ought to have been known.  Keeping the problems internal seems criminal to me.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2015, 01:05:32 pm »

Specific manufacturers aside, I would love to make all SBs illegal and force all manufacturers to issue recalls to any defect known or ought to have been known.  Keeping the problems internal seems criminal to me.

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin. It's a generic term.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2015, 01:30:49 pm »

I was making a joke...

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2015, 01:49:14 pm »

I was making a joke...

No you weren't.  :stick: