Author Topic: Quick Spin: 2013 Honda Accord HFP Coupe  (Read 13137 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Quick Spin: 2013 Honda Accord HFP Coupe
« on: July 16, 2013, 06:28:44 am »

HFP stands for Honda Factory Performance, not Holy F#@k Performance, but the odd expletive may still drop out in sharp corners.

Read More...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Quick Spin: 2013 Honda Accord HFP Coupe
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 06:57:12 am »
If I walk out the door with $40k to spend on a sporty coupe and come home with an Accord, I'm counting on my fellow forum members to slap me.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 09:35:29 am »
@Jaeger  ^ ^ ^

I'd have to agree with that. Why bother for that kind of $$ when so much more could be had.

Accords are great, but only in 4 door variants and under 30K IMO.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 11:43:35 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 10:30:35 am »
Competition from Altima? Is this the joke of the day?

Offline auto_enthusiast

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 10:58:27 am »

Considering that the Fusion and Mazda 6 aren't available in two door guise, I'd say the Altima is the closest competition for a higher hp FWD coupe.  I suppose if you really want FWD....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 11:38:38 am »
If I walk out the door with $40k to spend on a sporty coupe and come home with an Accord, I'm counting on my fellow forum members to slap me.

Uhhh...yeah. I concur!! $40K on a fwd coupe.....  :rofl: oh thats funny.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 12:23:02 pm »
Nice car. Shame about the price...
Bombastic

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 01:02:39 pm »
If I walk out the door with $40k to spend on a sporty coupe and come home with an Accord, I'm counting on my fellow forum members to slap me.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Me first, me first! hehe  Jack

Offline PJAvenger

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-11
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mustang GT Convertible; 2013 RAM 1500; 2008 Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 03:02:09 pm »

HFP stands for Honda Factory Performance, not Holy F#@k Performance, but the odd expletive may still drop out in sharp corners.

Read More...

or Holy F#@*#@g Price?

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 01:19:05 am »
Considering that the Fusion and Mazda 6 aren't available in two door guise, I'd say the Altima is the closest competition for a higher hp FWD coupe.  I suppose if you really want FWD....

;D
Nissan drops Altima coupe for 2014
http://www.leftlanenews.com/nissan-drops-altima-coupe-for-2014.html
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 02:24:33 am »
I have to disagree, Honda Accord coupes are nice, there are many around in Vancouver and quite a number of them in V6 6 speed manual format. Choice is good, you get quite a few upgrades with the HFP. What other >200HP "family friendly" manual cars can you get into for $40k? Mustang is probably the most obvious. Mixed feelings on the Camaro. Audi A4, a bit smaller although in four door format. For a more direct comparison,  BMW 1 or 3. Acura TSX A-Spec, with a 4 banger that just barely passes that 200HP mark, a slightly smaller Accord.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 11:26:43 am »
I have to disagree, Honda Accord coupes are nice, there are many around in Vancouver and quite a number of them in V6 6 speed manual format. Choice is good, you get quite a few upgrades with the HFP. What other >200HP "family friendly" manual cars can you get into for $40k? Mustang is probably the most obvious. Mixed feelings on the Camaro. Audi A4, a bit smaller although in four door format. For a more direct comparison,  BMW 1 or 3. Acura TSX A-Spec, with a 4 banger that just barely passes that 200HP mark, a slightly smaller Accord.

For a bit more, the Mustang GT or Camaro SS will monster this thing. Again, anyone buying a 2 door coupe is not putting "family friendly" at the top of their shopping list. If youre gonna make the call for 2 doors, wouldnt you want a roaring V8 and rear wheel drive instead of some weenie, wannabe "sporty" fwd coupe?

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 11:38:31 am »

For a bit more, the Mustang GT or Camaro SS will monster this thing. Again, anyone buying a 2 door coupe is not putting "family friendly" at the top of their shopping list. If youre gonna make the call for 2 doors, wouldnt you want a roaring V8 and rear wheel drive instead of some weenie, wannabe "sporty" fwd coupe?

I wouldn't take it down the "a bit more" route. At that price, the Honda is pretty much loaded, and for "a bit more" you are only getting started with the muscle cars. Besides, there are A LOT of people who will not even put any 'Merican muscle car on the shopping list, period. I'm not gonna knock the car, I'll just say it doesn't fit my lifestyle as I would rather get a base ES for the money. But I would definitely read a shootout article comparing this HFP Accord to, say, G37 or a bunch of FGC's and see how it stacks up. Something's telling me it wouldn't be too far fetched.
Seeing how the FWD Civic Si beat the BRZ on the track, Honda knows its sh1t when it comes to handling.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 11:44:34 am »

I wouldn't take it down the "a bit more" route. At that price, the Honda is pretty much loaded, and for "a bit more" you are only getting started with the muscle cars. Besides, there are A LOT of people who will not even put any 'Merican muscle car on the shopping list, period. I'm not gonna knock the car, I'll just say it doesn't fit my lifestyle as I would rather get a base ES for the money. But I would definitely read a shootout article comparing this HFP Accord to, say, G37 or a bunch of FGC's and see how it stacks up. Something's telling me it wouldn't be too far fetched.
Seeing how the FWD Civic Si beat the BRZ on the track, Honda knows its sh1t when it comes to handling.

A G37 is on another planet when compared to this thing.....then what, a 3 series coupe, C class coupe and the Audi A5 series....are ya kidding me....those are nowhere close in price or performance and wouldnt in a million years be cross shopped. The Mustang and Camaro are a hell of a lot closer in price to the Accord than any of the cars you mentioned and as for fully loaded what does the Accord have that the Mustang doesnt?? Its a Mustang, all you need is the track pack, HIDs and the big stereo and youre good to go  ;D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 11:53:08 am »

I'd also take the 348hp Genesis RWD Genesis Coupe over this sportified family sedan.  The fully blown 3.8GT Manual also prices out less than the Accord.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 11:58:31 am »

I'd also take the 348hp Genesis RWD Genesis Coupe over this sportified family sedan.  The fully blown 3.8GT Manual also prices out less than the Accord.

Agreed, but I would opt for the 2.0T.  What I really want Hyundai to do is make a R-Spec coupe with the 5.0.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 11:59:22 am »

Oops....completely forgot about the Genesis coupe  :-[ Yup, that would be a better choice also...but with the 2L turbo  ;D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 12:05:12 pm »

Oops....completely forgot about the Genesis coupe  :-[ Yup, that would be a better choice also...but with the 2L turbo  ;D

I'm a fan of the 2.0T - love it in my Sonata - but having driven the 3.8, well, the angry snarl and BIG push in the back are quite seductive in the Gen Coupe.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 12:18:00 pm »

I'm a fan of the 2.0T - love it in my Sonata - but having driven the 3.8, well, the angry snarl and BIG push in the back are quite seductive in the Gen Coupe.

I havent driven the V6, only the 2L, while its a little laggy, I think with a bit of tuning and upgrades, that thing would absolutely fly.....plus, Im a big fan of the "psshhhhh" of a blow off valve.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 12:25:44 pm »

I havent driven the V6, only the 2L, while its a little laggy, I think with a bit of tuning and upgrades, that thing would absolutely fly.....plus, Im a big fan of the "psshhhhh" of a blow off valve.

Choice is good.  No question the turbo would give you more tuning fun.