Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Lexus CT 200h  (Read 15596 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2011 Lexus CT 200h
« on: June 01, 2011, 04:05:45 am »

The Lexus CT 200h luxury hybrid is for those who 'want to have a little driving fun while they save the planet,' reports Grant Yoxon, at least when it's in Sport mode.

Read More...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-451
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Lexus CT 200h
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 06:56:01 am »
I saw one of these parked on my walk with my dog.  It was white and I found it to be a very good looking hatch back.  I find it has a body shape that resembles the Mazda 3 hatchback more than any other hatch back on the market.  That is a good thing as I think the Mazda 3 hatch is one of the best looking hatches on the market today.  I understand this who this vehicle is for but I'm not sure if there will be a lot of these on the road.  If it was my money I think I would buy a fully loaded VW Golf TDI and get pretty good fuel economy and much better driving dynamics with a comparable luxury feel.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 07:27:20 am »
I also think it looks a lot like a Mazda 3.

I own a Mazda 3 and I was walking through a parking lot here in MontreaL and spotted what I thought to be a white Mazda 3. I thought to myself "That is a pretty sharp looking Mazda 3". It was not till I got a lot closer before I realized it was the new Lexus.

Looks good but way to similar in design to current car already out there. It does not distinguish itself.

I sat in one while in Florida last winter. The interior did not wow me.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 09:45:24 am »

I own a Mazda 3 and I was walking through a parking lot here in MontreaL and spotted what I thought to be a white Mazda 3. I thought to myself "That is a pretty sharp looking Mazda 3". It was not till I got a lot closer before I realized it was the new Lexus.

Looks good but way to similar in design to current car already out there. It does not distinguish itself.

It does look, in a basic way, like a Mazda3...an ugly Mazda3...I can think of scads of ways to spend 35 grand excluding this ugly load..Wow...a luxury compact with plastic seats...and only 35Gs...Must really get up and go, eh...With 134 flaming horses and 3200 pounds to toss around...
   Man...what next?     Gimmick, gimmick      dragonfly

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 10:48:19 am »

It does look, in a basic way, like a Mazda3...an ugly Mazda3...I can think of scads of ways to spend 35 grand excluding this ugly load..Wow...a luxury compact with plastic seats...and only 35Gs...Must really get up and go, eh...With 134 flaming horses and 3200 pounds to toss around...
   Man...what next?     Gimmick, gimmick      dragonfly

Well, I took one for a test drive 2 days ago. In short, I wouldn't buy one. The interior is a mixed bag, in general very nicely appointed with some cheap shiny plastic bits that will throw you off (the bit around the power window switches immediately comes to mind). But I'm nit-picking. Inside it is very nice.

But the drive... I would get annoyed at the slow throttle response withing an hour. Sporty this car is not with this powertrain. The chassis is good but the powertrain is a big letdown. The engine, when you hear it, sounds like a Corolla (wait, it is a corolla engine! :)) and robs the car from its luxo feel.

But even if all of the above wan't enough, be prepared to wait AT LEAST 9 months for delivery once you place an order. And no room for negotiation, high interest rates. Basically, since the earthquake, due to the shortage they decided to jack up the interest rates to keep the demand ni check instead of raising prices.

After driving the CT, my Fit felt like a jumping jack with its immediate throttle respose and felt MUCH more lively.

Drove a BMW 323i immediately after, and despite the (relatively) spartan interior, it is a clear winner with MUCH lower lease payments, far superior ride quality with the sweet I6 and overall enjoyment. I've made my choice. Your mileage may vary.

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 12:44:20 pm »
Hmmm. I had to go back to the photos and squint hard, but yes, there is a basic similarity to the Mazda3. Thankfully it foregoes the 'smiley face', making this a better looking car overall. But, $40,000 for this? I don't think so. I do like the concept of upscale, fuel efficient, fun to drive cars though. But, there's no way they should hit $40k IMO.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 12:48:54 pm »
I'm glad to see hybrids with at the very least intentions of being sporty. I think the CR-Z, while very different in design, aims at a similar audience - people who enjoy driving but want better fuel economy. With a very reasonable entry price for a Lexus, this certainly is an interesting entry into the market - I hope it spurs on better things to come. For me, no manual and no right-hand e-brake means no deal. Guess I'm stuck with gas for a while yet!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 03:06:49 pm »
Buy a NEW mazda 3 and save enuf fer a trip to the Galapogos and free gas fer a year............. ???..Darwin can Ya hear me......... :rofl: he's prolly rolling ov'r his flippers as we speak.....can ya hear tha revolution.... ;D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 03:08:23 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 03:14:50 pm »
I don't think Lexus built this car for the enthusiasts on this board. Isn't it for somebody that wants a hybrid that has a little big of luxury and a little bit of sport in it? If so, I think that is what they have here.

Believe it or not, everybody doesn't care how fast a car gets to 100kph or the next street light.

I think once the supply comes back, this car will sell quite well.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 03:17:08 pm »
 ::) Oh take a BIKE...like anyone will come back and call You on yer call inna YEAR.... :stick: >:D :think: :P

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 04:54:27 pm »
I don't think Lexus built this car for the enthusiasts on this board. Isn't it for somebody that wants a hybrid that has a little big of luxury and a little bit of sport in it? If so, I think that is what they have here.

Believe it or not, everybody doesn't care how fast a car gets to 100kph or the next street light.

:iagree:  Sportier than a Prius. Still green. Hatchback practicality. Predictably good reliability and dealer experience. For $30K, one could certainly do worse.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 07:12:01 pm »
But obviously BETTER would be easier.............than a Near $40K optioned Matrix.......... ??? ::) :P

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 12:06:07 am »

:iagree:  Sportier than a Prius. Still green. Hatchback practicality. Predictably good reliability and dealer experience. For $30K, one could certainly do worse.
Bingo. I could see myself driving one... it looks like a good size, it looks very good in person (better than in pictures) and it's got the efficiency of a Prius with a nicer and less wonky interior. Definitely appealing.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 08:33:20 am »

Bingo. I could see myself driving one... it looks like a good size, it looks very good in person (better than in pictures) and it's got the efficiency of a Prius with a nicer and less wonky interior. Definitely appealing.

I thought so, too, until I drove one. Seriously, my Fit feels like a genuine sports car compared to the CT. The throttle is muted, and even in 'Sport' mode, it's still not up to snuff.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 08:51:50 am »
Unfortunate timing once again... I'm in this next week.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 08:57:34 am »
Put a decent gas engine into it, and it would be an awesome little car. Just found it to be terribly busy in traffic with it cycling everything on and off. And even the engine in sport mode was no fun.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Travel360

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 09:41:17 am »
Agree. Nice car wrong engine.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 10:08:05 am »
Agree. Nice car wrong engine.

There are lots of nice hatchbacks with gas engines for $30K. If you want that there is no shortage in the market - Audi A3, Volvo C30, VW GTI 4-Dr, Subaru Impreza, etc. This is something different and it will appeal to those who want 50-80% better fuel economy in the city along with a luxury brand.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 10:18:43 am »

Good poiont Quad!

For me, I'd rather have a fully loaded Mazda 3 or a 4 door GTI over this. 
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 12:11:34 pm »

Good poiont Quad!

For me, I'd rather have a fully loaded Mazda 3 or a 4 door GTI over this. 

Can you seriously suggest that someone would cross shop a lexus, even the cheapest one, against Mazda? I wouldn't.