Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 2904902 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #5960 on: August 25, 2016, 02:24:43 pm »
Being there, done that one.  Just a sh*t show!  and @ 20 bucks a liter it gets really annoying.

I didn't even think of the $20/bottle, I was more pissed off with oil that got all over my shorts, then down my leg & onto my flip flops that I was wearing   :rofl2:

Sure, but in the scenario you describe, I would probably get more frustrated then its worth. 

I would probably just pay an independent to do it.  If it's not as straight forward as most mainstream cars..
But then you miss out wrenching on your own car & the personal attachment/knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #5961 on: August 25, 2016, 03:17:01 pm »
It doesn't look much worse than a normal/mainstream car....most differentials and manual transmissions are tricky to fill without a good pump that'll properly fit the bottle. I've struggled many times with the same situation and I've got a hand pump along with a number of strange homemade contraptions I've built over the years to help.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5962 on: August 25, 2016, 03:39:36 pm »
It doesn't look much worse than a normal/mainstream car....most differentials and manual transmissions are tricky to fill without a good pump that'll properly fit the bottle. I've struggled many times with the same situation and I've got a hand pump along with a number of strange homemade contraptions I've built over the years to help.

Ditto....I've gone through a few Princess Auto hand transfer pumps and some MacGyvered things made out of pop bottles and tubing lol
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: August 25, 2016, 04:31:19 pm »
Got the Jeep washed at the underground parking garage, well worth the $25!!!

You paid to have it washed? 

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #5964 on: August 25, 2016, 04:46:15 pm »

Yes, while I was at work, I got the carwash guy to wash it for me as I won't have time tonight. Tomorrow I'm at the track all day & after that I'm heading down to the GTA for a family wedding & wanted it clean for that ;)

Sometimes I have more money than time, only sometimes, ha, ha, ha!

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 17FozXT, 18MiragePOS
« Reply #5965 on: August 25, 2016, 05:19:51 pm »
Being there, done that one.  Just a sh*t show!  and @ 20 bucks a liter it gets really annoying.

I didn't even think of the $20/bottle, I was more pissed off with oil that got all over my shorts, then down my leg & onto my flip flops that I was wearing   :rofl2:

I would probably just pay an independent to do it.  If it's not as straight forward as most mainstream cars..
But then you miss out wrenching on your own car & the personal attachment/knowledge.

FWIW the front/rear differential, transfer case and manual transmission fluid are all easy to get to and pretty simple to change (manual transmission drains on the exhaust though) on the Jeep Wrangler JK.  :D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5966 on: August 25, 2016, 05:32:35 pm »

Yes, while I was at work, I got the carwash guy to wash it for me as I won't have time tonight. Tomorrow I'm at the track all day & after that I'm heading down to the GTA for a family wedding & wanted it clean for that ;)

You know it will probably rain the whole drive to GTA just because you wrote that  :rofl2:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: August 25, 2016, 05:44:14 pm »

FWIW the front/rear differential, transfer case and manual transmission fluid are all easy to get to and pretty simple to change (manual transmission drains on the exhaust though) on the Jeep Wrangler JK.  :D

Except for the drain plug for the manual tranny....whoever put that one inch above the exhaust crossover should be tarred and feathered!!!!

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: August 25, 2016, 05:46:56 pm »

Except for the drain plug for the manual tranny....whoever put that one inch above the exhaust crossover should be tarred and feathered!!!!

Yup, but I lucked out and I've got a hex socket set, the bit that fits the drain comes out of the socket portion, using a crowfoot socket with that hex bit it's pretty easy to remove/install, just a little messy...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: August 25, 2016, 05:50:08 pm »

Yup, but I lucked out and I've got a hex socket set, the bit that fits the drain comes out of the socket portion, using a crowfoot socket with that hex bit it's pretty easy to remove/install, just a little messy...

I went the MacGyver method. Bought a hex socket bit, cut it down with a zip disk, insert into ratchet wrench and works like a charm. Only problem is the stank of burnt tranny oil for a bit after you are done.

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5970 on: August 25, 2016, 06:19:39 pm »

Good work Gurgie. One thing to be thankful for, at least it has both a fill and drain bolt   :)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5971 on: August 25, 2016, 06:24:47 pm »

Ah so time to work on the Porsche, but no time to clean the Jeep.  What about the bonding thing!  HAHA! I usually only do 1 oil change per year on the vehicle myself, just so I can say I did it.  Same with cleaning it, 1-2 a year, other than that, have someone else do it. 

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #5972 on: August 25, 2016, 06:29:41 pm »

That's why you can't have nice things  :rofl2:

Or at least why you can't have a 30 year old Porsche
Mr Pickypants

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: August 25, 2016, 07:37:00 pm »
Got around to installing the new leather shift boot finally! 1st one ripped, 2nd one worked out great! Also loaded up the track shoes, floor jack, assorted tools, etc.. for tomorrow's lapping day at Calabogie.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5974 on: August 25, 2016, 07:56:23 pm »

Hahahhahaha

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5975 on: August 25, 2016, 11:55:41 pm »

Yeah I am way to young for something like that!  :-)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5976 on: August 26, 2016, 12:53:32 pm »
At the track with the track shoes on. And I'm lucky enough to have Wing as my instructor today! :D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5977 on: August 26, 2016, 12:58:45 pm »
At the track with the track shoes on. And I'm lucky enough to have Wing as my instructor today! :D

:thumbup:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5978 on: August 26, 2016, 11:24:17 pm »

I survived the track day, as did my 30yr old Porsche! 1 on track spin, complete driver error, but no video like Jacob's to show... although Wing had the passenger seat view & Angrychicken was the pit Marshall that I had to explain my error too after getting black flagged :S

My times were getting quicker thru the day, but the best I could muster was a 2:46, for reference, Wing did a 2:42 with my car in the morning on over-inflated dirty slicks & in the afternoon on proper inflated slicks he did a 2:35!!!!! I've got 11secs to find, lol!

Great day & a big thanks to Wing for the instruction & a thanks to Angrychicken as well for words of encouragement!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5979 on: August 27, 2016, 07:20:45 am »
Glad you and the car finished safely...