Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Chevrolet Trax  (Read 20273 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2013 Chevrolet Trax
« on: December 21, 2012, 06:33:39 am »

The Chevy Trax has the look and confident road manners of an SUV, but with the fuel consumption of a compact car.

Read More...

Offline chamadarla

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +31/-67
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Pontiac
Re: First Drive: 2013 Chevrolet Trax
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 06:45:26 am »
Good looking little unit.

Offline Adam D

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 07:40:03 am »
I think you might have made an error on cargo space. It was suggested that the Trax has more cargo space, but the stated numbers say otherwise. On another note, I can't imagine why any car manufacturer would produce a vehicle without air conditioning. I can see it perhaps in their ultra small econo box, but this isn't an econo box.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 07:43:23 am »
I think you might have made an error on cargo space. It was suggested that the Trax has more cargo space, but the stated numbers say otherwise. On another note, I can't imagine why any car manufacturer would produce a vehicle without air conditioning. I can see it perhaps in their ultra small econo box, but this isn't an econo box.

Quebec, that is why.

EVERY manufacturer HAS to have at least one vehicle in Canada for Quebec without air conditioning.  People is more northern Quebec love compact vehicles with manual transmissions and no air conditioning.  It is why the Rio has a no A/C option, why the new Sentra can be had without A/C, etc.

Offline Adam D

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 07:51:02 am »

Quebec, that is why.

EVERY manufacturer HAS to have at least one vehicle in Canada for Quebec without air conditioning.  People is more northern Quebec love compact vehicles with manual transmissions and no air conditioning.  It is why the Rio has a no A/C option, why the new Sentra can be had without A/C, etc.

I would have never guessed that. Thanks!

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 07:55:20 am »

Quebec, that is why.

I would have never guessed that. Thanks!

Yeah, many manufacturers at new model releases will tell us how they had to 'fight the USA marketers to allow a no A/C, manual transmission trim option be allowed in Canada even though there isn't one in the USA'.  They especially make this point if there are Quebec journalists in attendance ;)

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 07:58:12 am »
This cutie is OK for my wife. But I don't believe it's a normal vehicle when designated for Quebec and not on sale in US.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +299/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 08:22:01 am »
I haven't check that yet but are dimensions close to the Kia Soul ? But from pricing point of view, it doesn't seem to be...
The manual tranny, w/o A/C help to lower the base price too  :o
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Alex MacLean

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 08:30:46 am »
Why would anyone want a vehicle these days without ac? Even if you don't use it very often, why would you not want it for those gross days when it's 33 degrees and 100% humidity?

I could never see spending even the $20,000 on a car without AC. Crazy.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 08:33:33 am »
Why would anyone want a vehicle these days without ac? Even if you don't use it very often, why would you not want it for those gross days when it's 33 degrees and 100% humidity?

I could never see spending even the $20,000 on a car without AC. Crazy.

A lot of Canada never reaches 33 degrees, or has gross humidity ;)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 08:44:47 am »
Most of the people in Canada  do live in such a place and another whole pile live in  places where you need to keep the windows shut to keep the mosquitoes out.
And in some places it rains and AC is useful to keep the interior from fogging up.
Sooooooooooooo the few thousand people in Nunavut will buy these I guess.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 08:46:20 am by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 09:32:32 am »
 So far many complaints about no A/C in the base model. ??? At least GM is now selling a smaller Suv in Canada.Haven't seen one from them since they sold the Tracker[suzuki].
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 09:48:43 am »
Cool little SUV, won't be long before it's for sale in Canada.
Amazing how anyone could drive a vehicle without- AC, auto trans, electric windows and doors, etc etc.
Wait a minute! my favorite little 92' Miata had none of the above  ;)

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 09:57:41 am »
If GM can sell this Chevrolet Trax as a designated Canadian model why did they not just re-badge the
very popular Pontiac Vibe as a Chevy  and keep it on sale in the Great White North?

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 10:09:09 am »
we have one of these at the dealership here at Jack May. Great little truckette. Tracks well in the snow and elevated riding position is great for visibility. Kia Soul and Scion XB is what I think shoppers will be cross-shopping this car with. But this has available AWD and a turbo engine. Feels meaty around town and getting going, but yes it does run out of puff in the high rpm range.

Take one for a test drive, you may be surprised. The Encore is also great, same vehicle but oodles of luxury packed into the tiny little package. And the premium for that luxury is not much at all actually.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 10:10:45 am »
If GM can sell this Chevrolet Trax as a designated Canadian model why did they not just re-badge the
very popular Pontiac Vibe as a Chevy  and keep it on sale in the Great White North?

because it is a Toyota, not a Pontiac? Perhaps corporate issues there?

Offline Adam D

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 10:25:27 am »

Or because Chev/GM don't seem to be able to work with existing lines at improving them. They would rather flood the market with more of the same. I wish that they would work on brand development...instead of flashy new names for more of the same, why not keep what they have and improve upon it. Other manufacturers seem to have no issue keeping names like Civic, Elantra, Corolla, Taurus, CRV, Escape, outback...

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 10:28:24 am »
Cool little SUV, won't be long before it's for sale in Canada.
Amazing how anyone could drive a vehicle without- AC, auto trans, electric windows and doors, etc etc.
Wait a minute! my favorite little 92' Miata had none of the above  ;)

ditto for my 1990 Miata

Many non AC cars sold in the lower Mainland but they are hard to find in new cars

Offline chamadarla

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +31/-67
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Pontiac
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 10:30:27 am »

and NUMMI shuttered in 2010 is now a Tesla plant.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 10:32:36 am »

Or because Chev/GM don't seem to be able to work with existing lines at improving them. They would rather flood the market with more of the same. I wish that they would work on brand development...instead of flashy new names for more of the same, why not keep what they have and improve upon it. Other manufacturers seem to have no issue keeping names like Civic, Elantra, Corolla, Taurus, CRV, Escape, outback...

not so sure about that. The Trax and the Vibe have absolutely nothing to do with one another. And I think GM cant make the Vibe [I am guessing they never did - just re-plastered fascias and badges on a Toyota Matrix] anymore. I have a feeling that GM cant do that anymore now that times have changed and Pontiac is long gone, I can ask up that chan if you would like.  :)