Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Lexus GS 350 AWD  (Read 19553 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Lexus GS 350 AWD
« on: May 16, 2012, 04:04:51 am »

Is Lexus's GS executive sedan finally in the same league as the BMW 5 Series and Audi A6?

Read More...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Lexus GS 350 AWD
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 05:51:28 am »
Good review of a very sharp ride - sounds like they've taken a very large stride forward with this new model.  Love the huhyooooge display screen.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 06:38:14 am »
Certainly a very thorough review and I think the author had to work to keep his enthusiasm from flowing onto the page. 

It sounds like a very compelling package.   I didn't see the word "fluid" used in the review but that is the impression I'm taking away.  Very high performance levels with very few rough edges and very linear delivery - it has to flow through the twisties.

I await this treatment being applied to the IQ Hybrid!

Cheers,
John M.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 06:41:26 am »
Title on front page

"Is Lexus's GS executive sedan finally in the same league as the BMW 5 Series and Audi A6?"

Answer - No, both the A6 and the BMW 5 series are in another league.  Yes the GS is much improved but all they have done is compete with the previous versions of the 5 series and A6, with both of them improving their offering considerably over the past year.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 07:32:07 am »
Certainly a very thorough review and I think the author had to work to keep his enthusiasm from flowing onto the page. 

Cheers,
John M.

Mission accomplished?  ;D

It is a great car and my preferences are beginning to skew towards this size rather than the Compact 3s and ISs I used to prefer. I'm also very visually oriented, so between the grille and front skirt outside and the centre console and head unit, i was already loving it. So when it drove as sharply as it did, I was even more impressed, and after the 528i left a bad taste in my mouth with it's start-stop feature, this was a refreshing success on both the refinement and performance fronts.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 07:39:14 am »

Cheers,
John M.

Mission accomplished?  ;D

It is a great car and my preferences are beginning to skew towards this size rather than the Compact 3s and ISs I used to prefer. I'm also very visually oriented, so between the grille and front skirt outside and the centre console and head unit, i was already loving it. So when it drove as sharply as it did, I was even more impressed, and after the 528i left a bad taste in my mouth with it's start-stop feature, this was a refreshing success on both the refinement and performance fronts.

God, I've had to hear Jonathan go on and on about this car in the office over the past week...now I have to read it here too??

It is a very good car though

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 07:54:15 am »
Title on front page

"Is Lexus's GS executive sedan finally in the same league as the BMW 5 Series and Audi A6?"

Answer - No, both the A6 and the BMW 5 series are in another league.  Yes the GS is much improved but all they have done is compete with the previous versions of the 5 series and A6, with both of them improving their offering considerably over the past year.

Have you driven them all? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on why it is not in the same league... Even though Lexus may not have the brand prestige and history, this is a car that proved it can keep up with those two performance wise (if you don't buy that, check out Motor Trend's Comparo of this class, or Peter Bleakney's review on Wheels.ca), it will have plenty of new fans with styling that finally seems right (that horrible C pillar and bland grille on the previous generations wasn't doing them any favours), and no question that feature for feature, the GS is better value, so I'm curious what standard you have for being in the same league.

It's been a while since driving the previous-gen A6, and I didn't drive the direct competitor 535i from BMW (528i xDrive), and I really want to put them together for a comparo, but we have some more relevant segments to cover in comparos before we get to this one. 

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 08:01:38 am »
That red paint is a bit much, but otherwise a very nice looking vehicle.

Did you find that there is now a significant difference from Toyotas? I read that Toyota was working harder on differentiating the Lexus brand more using more unique parts etc.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 08:21:21 am »
That red paint is a bit much, but otherwise a very nice looking vehicle.

Did you find that there is now a significant difference from Toyotas? I read that Toyota was working harder on differentiating the Lexus brand more using more unique parts etc.

The only Toyota I've driven recently is a Corolla and a Prius V, but the GS is like nothing in the Toyota range, although there must be some engine and technology mix... the only part that seemed Toyota-ish was that plastic trim, so to answer your question, yes, this is a huge difference from any Toyota I've ever driven.

The true test will be the Camry-based ES 350, which Paul Williams will be covering in a first drive shortly.

and that red paint sparkles beautifully in the bright sunlight... I also prefer my red on the outside, unlike the IS 350c Mike just drove (review coming soon), or the 300S we had recently.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 08:39:44 am »
Nice design overall except for the horrible corners on the lower front dam - they interupt the horizontal spindle look of the front fascia and IMO ruin the otherwise clean, crisp look of the vehicle. It's a very minor thing especially given the glowing review but in every picture my eyes gravitate towards the lower front corners and plead, "WHY!?!"

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 08:57:41 am »
Title on front page

Have you driven them all? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on why it is not in the same league... Even though Lexus may not have the brand prestige and history, this is a car that proved it can keep up with those two performance wise (if you don't buy that, check out Motor Trend's Comparo of this class, or Peter Bleakney's review on Wheels.ca), it will have plenty of new fans with styling that finally seems right (that horrible C pillar and bland grille on the previous generations wasn't doing them any favours), and no question that feature for feature, the GS is better value, so I'm curious what standard you have for being in the same league.

It's been a while since driving the previous-gen A6, and I didn't drive the direct competitor 535i from BMW (528i xDrive), and I really want to put them together for a comparo, but we have some more relevant segments to cover in comparos before we get to this one.

I haven't driven them as I'm not in the market for these vehicles.  But from what I've read from Car and Driver, Motor Trend, and Road & Track it is clear that this car is improved but still lags behind the A6 and BMW 5 series (maybe not the turbo 4 cylinder).  The interior is better in the A6 and the handling is better in the 5 series.  Personally I find that the styling went a bit too far with making this new Lexus look aggressive, but anything from the previous version is definitely an improvement.  I have yet to see a comparo of these three vehicles yeild a win for Lexus and I doubt that is going to change any time soon.  What Lexus should do is wait for the new Audi and BMW to come out and them try and refine their next generation the next year to compete better.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 09:09:15 am »
Good review Jonathan!  I think Lexus is going in the right direction with this GS.  Love the color and the big F Sport wheels.  The interior is a toss-up for me.  It's a tough call as to whether I like this or the Infiniti M35's interior better, I'm kinda leaning towards the M's interior.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 10:04:55 am »
Good review Jonathan!  I think Lexus is going in the right direction with this GS.  Love the color and the big F Sport wheels.  The interior is a toss-up for me.  It's a tough call as to whether I like this or the Infiniti M35's interior better, I'm kinda leaning towards the M's interior.

+1. The exterior is radically different from the previous incarnations and I have to say it looks so much better in flesh than on the pics.
On the interior, I am not sold. No doubt the quality of materials and craftsmanship is top notch but the overall design doesn't appeal to me. The centre stack for some reason reminds me of Camaro and the entire dash looks like it consists of unrelated pieces. Now, I will reserve the final judgement until I actually see it. I may very well be wrong.

The biggest question is whether the "traditional" Lexus buyer will "buy" into the new performance theme, however well executed it may be, and whether Lexus will be able to steal sales from the German makers.

Over the years, strong associations have been created with specific brands:
MB - Solid luxury
BMW - Top performance luxury
Audi - German AWD performance luxo but keep your wallet ready
Lexus - Luxury quality
etc...

Not sure how easy it will be to break through that perception wall, especially with target market (more mature established buyer).

Definitely happy to see Lexus prodding ze Germans and keeping them on their toes.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 10:15:19 am »
^^I got to check it out in person at the show in Toronto.  Maybe Lexus isn't going for the traditional Lexus buyer.  I guess they're hoping to steal some 5 Series and A6 sales.

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 10:16:37 am »

+1.
Over the years, strong associations have been created with specific brands:
MB - Solid luxury
BMW - Top performance luxury
Audi - German AWD performance luxo but keep your wallet ready
Lexus - Luxury quality
etc...

Not sure how easy it will be to break through that perception wall, especially with target market (more mature established buyer).

Definitely happy to see Lexus prodding ze Germans and keeping them on their toes.

Great review, and good point above about how hard it is to break through the perception wall for mature buyers. Sounds like a great car, I haven't driven one yet but for those who think the 5 series and A6 are "in a different league" i doubt Lexus could ever build a machine that would change that opinion. All great cars, sligthly different flavours, and for those with an open mind what a selection. I think that for the price and expected reliability aspects this is a formidable contender.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 10:19:29 am »
"I think I'm an M5, I think I am, I think I can, choo choo.. :rofl2:

Ok, the Lexus GS might not be there yet but it looks like the gap is closing...Lexus going up and BMW well you know.

My concern over Lexus is that they seem to be devaluating  their products line with to many of their products looking nothing more than glorified Toyota's.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 11:23:40 am »

I have driven the GS350 and the car is brilliant; it is the closest thing to my 1996 5 Series BMW that I have ever driven. The car feels light and exceptionally composed while the ride is compliant and comfortable at the same time. The best part is the interior. It simply brilliant, not the black tombs that the German cars are famous for.

The dual injector system is also fantastic since at idle the car is absolutely silent, while the motor makes more than adequate power for me, anyway. This is really a compelling package, giving German driving dynamics with Lexus quality. I am definitely interested in this car and and seriously thinking of buying one. This will be after an entire year is under its belt to sort out any potential bugs in the design.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 11:49:20 am »
For that price, I will take this Lexus.  Although turbocharged, there is no way I am purchasing a 2.0 4 cyl A6 or 528i - you must be joking - that's reserved for A4 and 328i and shouldn't be offered on any $60K car with options.  For that money I'd want smooth linear 6 cyl power.  For a little more money though, I will take the A6 with its 3.0T engine.  I really want to like the E-Class too, but that rear quarter panel that Mercedes of late puts on their designs is too over-the-top.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 12:39:03 pm »
At first, I didn't really like the new frontal look of the GS.  But I must say the more I see it the more I like it.  I still wish the rest of the car was a little more aggressive looking to match the front but I think it's still a really good looking car.  I might be inclined to choose the Infiniti M over this, but not by much.  The red looks fantastic on this car!! 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 01:51:41 pm »
Sister in law had one of these on order. Once it came in she declared it an old man's car, except for the front end. She also said she didn't like that she had no colour choice for the interior (I wasn't interested enough to verify that claim). She ended up getting a 535ix instead.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis