Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco  (Read 13665 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco
« on: November 14, 2012, 06:05:54 am »

Paul Williams finds the Malibu Eco to be an agreeable enough car, but criticizes its not-good-enough fuel economy and small trunk.

Read More...

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 06:57:49 am »
The issue with the actual car fuel consumption being much higher than Transport Canada ratings is mostly because of the Canadian obsolete standards. EPA rates the same car 6.4L/100km (highway). Since the US standards were revised, it does happen that reviewers match the EPA standards and at times even exceed them; something you will never hear on this side of the border.

I stated several times that Canadian reviewers should list both Transport Canada and EPA ratings to allow the readers to have a better idea of what real world fuel economy might be. I don't know why our journalists just won't do it most of the times...  If everyone would do it the Canadian government might eventually feel a need to update their standards. "We" pretty much aligned our emissions standards with the US, why not do the same with fuel economy testing procedures?

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 08:09:37 am »
The issue with the actual car fuel consumption being much higher than Transport Canada ratings is mostly because of the Canadian obsolete standards.

Transport Canada's mileage ratings grossly understate fuel consumption for the same reason this country lacks a competent automobile lemon law. Governments are scared to death of alienating the car industry.
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 08:13:35 am »
"May be it seems churlish to complain about not achieving the excellent 5.3 L/100 km estimate (this is not a small car, after all), but consumers are right to expect something very close to the stated estimates especially when opting for a higher-priced hybrid vehicle."

Well, the autor here is gentle - comparing with Hyundai's official gas mileage, GM Malibu's is much more inflated. The point here is  who lies more. For me the laurels are for Malibu! 

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 08:57:10 am »
"May be it seems churlish to complain about not achieving the excellent 5.3 L/100 km estimate (this is not a small car, after all), but consumers are right to expect something very close to the stated estimates especially when opting for a higher-priced hybrid vehicle."

Well, the autor here is gentle - comparing with Hyundai's official gas mileage, GM Malibu's is much more inflated. The point here is  who lies more. For me the laurels are for Malibu!

I agree.  I think Chevy should compensate all Malibu buyers like Hyundai did.

Having said that, how can we somehow get the government to change its obsolete standards for measuring fuel consumption in Canada?  This has been going to for far too long.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 09:17:35 am »
Let me be crystal clear: I don't mind the standards as long they are the same for all (and they are!)... The problem here is where a particular manufacturer is on my scale of gas mileage lies!

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 09:53:05 am »

Absolutely, all of TWO people who had the "courage" to buy it!!  ;D
Seriously, it's been on sale since early 2012, and I've seen it exactly twice on the road in Ottawa.
The Accord just came out, and it's already becoming a common sight. Heck, a buddy of mine took delivery of a champagne Touring V6 just two weeks ago. Consumers voting with their wallets appear to agree with Paul.

It looks like the driver seat and the quiet interior is all that is going for this car. The rest sucks.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 09:59:04 am »
Lately my view on many of manufacturer or media claims are similar to descriptions of a finished food dish. One can list and describe all the fancy ingredients but the question is how does it taste.
Similar to the latest vehicles and fuel economy claims that are supposed to come out of the latest technology. Unfortunately most of the hardware just does not equate to any major claimed saving. The results are lack luster and the added cost and complexity are not worth it.

I'd rather wait for a simple fully electric car with quick refill and long battery life. Until then I'm finding the most hybrids in relation to costs, savings and complexity non compelling as with this latest rendition of a hybrid.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 10:04:07 am »
Lately my view on many of manufacturer or media claims are similar to descriptions of a finished food dish. One can list and describe all the fancy ingredients but the question is how does it taste.
Similar to the latest vehicles and fuel economy claims that are supposed to come out of the latest technology. Unfortunately most of the hardware just does not equate to any major claimed saving. The results are lack luster and the added cost and complexity are not worth it.

I'd rather wait for a simple fully electric car with quick refill and long battery life. Until then I'm finding the most hybrids in relation to costs, savings and complexity non compelling as with this latest rendition of a hybrid.

This latest "mild hybrid" is a known quantity as the same powertrain has been used before in the Regal and got the same "below expectation" fuel economy so no surprises here.
On your point of complexity and savings, the new breed of plug-in hybrids looks promising if it can deliver 20+km of EV drive. Honda says their upcoming plug-in Accord would take about 3(?) hours to charge from a regular 110V power source. That's not too bad. As long as they keep the price below 40k, it looks like a viable option.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2110
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 10:35:49 am »
If I had a head injury and somehow thought that a hybrid make sense......Id walk my way down to the Toyota dealer.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 10:39:32 am »
Until GM can get the excess weight out of their products, they are going to need all the fuel economy gimicks they can get.

Malibu ECO: 3600 lb
2013 Accord: 3420 lb
2013 Altima: 3200 lb

I wonder what kind of rebates GM has on these things right now, but I can't imagine most folks are willing to pay a premium for the limited benefit and deceased utility of the ECO version.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 11:36:10 am »
Until GM can get the excess weight out of their products, they are going to need all the fuel economy gimicks they can get.

I wonder what kind of rebates GM has on these things right now, but I can't imagine most folks are willing to pay a premium for the limited benefit and deceased utility of the ECO version.

How much of that excess weight is due to hybrid components?  It would be interesting to see the weight difference between the non-hybrid and hybrid version of this car and then compare it to competitors such as Toyota.

You just can't compare a hybrid model's weight to non-hybrid competitors.

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 11:41:21 am »
It may have to do with the excellent soundproving material

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 01:01:12 pm »

Having said that, how can we somehow get the government to change its obsolete standards for measuring fuel consumption in Canada?  This has been going to for far too long.

Cars of the 90's had no problem matching the numbers.  The standards haven't changed but the automakers have gotten more creative at tuning the computer controlled engines and drivetrains to match the exact parameters of the test.

By providing a fixed standard I think the government is doing all it can (within a reasonable use of taxpayers money) to provide consumers with a way to compare products.  I think it's up to independent groups (like here) to test them on the road and call them on it when they see bogus numbers.

Ultimately it's up to the buyer. My friend bought an Ecoboost F150 mostly because he believed the mileage numbers.  He's seriously disappointed that it gets worse mileage then his old 2004 Silverado with a 5.3 V8.  Says he'll never buy a Ford again.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 01:05:44 pm »

Cars of the 90's had no problem matching the numbers.  The standards haven't changed but the automakers have gotten more creative at tuning the computer controlled engines and drivetrains to match the exact parameters of the test.

By providing a fixed standard I think the government is doing all it can (within a reasonable use of taxpayers money) to provide consumers with a way to compare products.  I think it's up to independent groups (like here) to test them on the road and call them on it when they see bogus numbers.

Ultimately it's up to the buyer. My friend bought an Ecoboost F150 mostly because he believed the mileage numbers.  He's seriously disappointed that it gets worse mileage then his old 2004 Silverado with a 5.3 V8.  Says he'll never buy a Ford again.

How bad does the mileage have to be before someone starts whining?? 10%, 20%, 50%?? Dont people realize that the sticker is mainly a ballpark figure and shouldnt be taken as an absolute?? I dont know, if you really want to know what a car gets, go to that fuelly.com or whatever, otherwise, learn to live with it. I drive a hell of a lot more aggressively than the people on a fuel economy run do, will my mileage be worse.....yup, but do I want to be that idiot doing 80km/h down the highway because I want to be thrifty, hell to the no.

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 01:24:07 pm »
I agree with the idea that the Transport Canada numbers border on useless and reviewers have to include real world numbers (not from the car's trip computer) and give us as accurate an idea as possible. Didn't Hyundai willfully mislead the buying public  the EPA numbers? Chevrolet can't be faulted for TC's methods. Chevrolet is no more guilty than any other manufacturer in this regard IMO. Ford's Ecoboost engines often get much fewer mpg's than the TC estimates. Hybrids in cold weather, even worse.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 01:34:07 pm »
If I had a head injury and somehow thought that a hybrid make sense......Id walk my way down to the Toyota dealer.

If the regular Prius came at the Prius C price, I think I'd join you, but until then... :nono:

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 01:47:32 pm »

I have a hunch you don't spend a lot of time stuck in stop and go driving.  If you did you'd understand that hybrids do make sense for a lot of people.  In fact you'd give yourself a head injury if you saw the gas bill you would get driving any of your vehicles on the commute I do.

You're right about going to the Toyota dealer though.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 01:58:21 pm »

I have a hunch you don't spend a lot of time stuck in stop and go driving.  If you did you'd understand that hybrids do make sense for a lot of people.  In fact you'd give yourself a head injury if you saw the gas bill you would get driving any of your vehicles on the commute I do.

You're right about going to the Toyota dealer though.

Stop and go driving, either Golf TDi or a Corolla, something cheap and that doesnt inspire hoonish behavior. I dont know if I would bother with such technology to sit there and idle......but thats just me.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-6810
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 02:03:07 pm »
My, my, my, so this is what 60 Billion dollars in free cash gets you.  A standard car with a generator strapped to the side of the motor supplying some assist via a big rubber band attached to the crank shaft pulley.  How novel.

What a POS.  As with the first "e-assist" version, this will be killed off after the second year.