Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Ford Escape  (Read 10371 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2013 Ford Escape
« on: July 25, 2012, 04:04:58 am »

The Ford Escape offers features and performance that match up with anything in the segment, says Jonathan Yarkony.

Read More...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: First Drive: 2013 Ford Escape
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 08:38:07 am »
I saw one on the road yesterday and thought it looked really sharp.  Ford seems to be taking a page from BMW's book in presenting an attractive package with an enticing entry price.... that quickly gets frightening as desireable options are added.   The price tag of anything with "Titanium" on the trunk generally sends my eyebrows in a northward direction.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 08:43:37 am »
I'm starting to see quite a few of these on the road around Ottawa.  Very nice.  I don't remember what trim I sat in at the Toronto Auto show but I do remember being very impressed with the fit & finish and the materials on the inside.  I was blown away.

My Dad is finally starting to consider replacing his my2000 Pathfinder.  This is one of the vehicles I'm telling him go and seriously look at, as well as the CRV and CX5.  Maybe I'll get to do a bit of shopping with his money....   ;)
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 09:35:32 am »
I know this Escape is a large improvement over the old one.  But I find with all these redesigns, they are looking too similar. You take the badges of, and you can hardly tell the differance.  I am not saying the old Escape should have stayed as boxy, but this is very different. Not a fan of the dash,  little too swoopy and flashy, I prefer a simple look.  Also, with no Buyers guide yet to compare the features, this seems to be a lot more expensive than the old Escape, even before incentives.  A 2012 Edge SE, is only $1000 more than the 2013 Escape SE.

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 10:23:02 am »
I'm starting to see quite a few of these on the road around Ottawa.  Very nice.  I don't remember what trim I sat in at the Toronto Auto show but I do remember being very impressed with the fit & finish and the materials on the inside.  I was blown away.

My Dad is finally starting to consider replacing his my2000 Pathfinder.  This is one of the vehicles I'm telling him go and seriously look at, as well as the CRV and CX5.  Maybe I'll get to do a bit of shopping with his money....   ;)
Looks like your dad keeps his vehicles for quite a long time. I might caution buying turbo vehicles in that case. The repair costs years 6- 7 onward might be expensive. Call it first hand experience with Ford turbo trucks (many trucks). Depending on his urgency, Toyota has a revised RAV4 coming this fall as does Hyundai with the Santa Fe (which looks strong IMO).

Offline garytam

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 12:12:53 pm »
 "but available lower in the power band at 5,700 rpm to the CR-V’s 7,000 rpm—7,000 rpm is something you don’t want to hear in the CR-V"

This is only true with automatic ..... if Honda puts their wonderful 6 speed manual on their CR-V, I will buy one and REV it up to the 7000 rpm every day, at least once per day  ;)

I don't know how much longer I can hang on to my 2002 CR-V 5 speed manual .... when I rev it up to 6000 rpm and listen to the deep engine and the K and N filter sound, its sooooo..... satisfied  ;D

Please don't tell me you can always but the SH-AWD TL manual, as I need a 5 door wagon. Is very sad that Honda makes wonderful 4 Cylinder engine and 6 speed manual but they don't put them in good use. Having an automatic CRV with 7000 Rpm peak power is a JOKE   ??? ???

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 12:19:22 pm »
The price tag of anything with "Titanium" on the trunk generally sends my eyebrows in a northward direction.

Just wait about a year.  If the Focus pricing is any indication, the incentives will be quickly following.  Last time I checked there was $3500 on the hood of a Focus Titanium, I imagine the Escape will follow in due course.

I'm sure the Escape is a really nice vehicle, and it will sell well, but I'm not convinced it will sell as well as the old Escape - pricing is just too important in the Canadian marketplace, and the last Escape was rock-bottom priced and sold like hotcakes (even long after it's "best-before" date).  But Ford will probably make more money off each new Escape sale, so I'm sure they're not worried. 

Like the compact car segment, great competition now in the compact CUV segment.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 12:27:12 pm »

Looks like your dad keeps his vehicles for quite a long time. I might caution buying turbo vehicles in that case. The repair costs years 6- 7 onward might be expensive. Call it first hand experience with Ford turbo trucks (many trucks). Depending on his urgency, Toyota has a revised RAV4 coming this fall as does Hyundai with the Santa Fe (which looks strong IMO).

Ford traditionally does really well with turboes over in Europe. Here they have never really sold that many turbo cars(turbo T-bird, SVO stang, Merkur XR4ti......I cant think of anymore) and yes, none of those were really what youd call models of reliability. The turbo diesel trucks after the old Powerstroke IHI diesel were disastrous, 6 and the 6.4L. I think id roll the dice on the new eco-boosts, worst case, sell it right before warranty ends if its a nightmare or get an extended warranty.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 12:45:55 pm »

Ford traditionally does really well with turboes over in Europe. Here they have never really sold that many turbo cars(turbo T-bird, SVO stang, Merkur XR4ti......I cant think of anymore) and yes, none of those were really what youd call models of reliability. The turbo diesel trucks after the old Powerstroke IHI diesel were disastrous, 6 and the 6.4L. I think id roll the dice on the new eco-boosts, worst case, sell it right before warranty ends if its a nightmare or get an extended warranty.
The smart money might just sit on the sidelines for now on this new technology.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/05/ask-an-engineer-gdi-problems-in-a-nutshell/

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 12:51:25 pm »
One of the main reasons Im keeping the F150 ecoboost on a watch list for a few years before I pull the trigger on it.

nsmyhte

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 01:00:50 pm »
I know this Escape is a large improvement over the old one.  But I find with all these redesigns, they are looking too similar. You take the badges of, and you can hardly tell the differance.  I am not saying the old Escape should have stayed as boxy, but this is very different. Not a fan of the dash,  little too swoopy and flashy, I prefer a simple look.  Also, with no Buyers guide yet to compare the features, this seems to be a lot more expensive than the old Escape, even before incentives.  A 2012 Edge SE, is only $1000 more than the 2013 Escape SE.

Agreed, the new profile is pure RAV4.

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 06:36:12 pm »
Off topic

with many ford product with auto parallel park and blind spot camera....can it be used to pass the driver license exam for parallel park and not doing shoulder checks???

Offline seale

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Santa Fe Sport 2L turbo AWD
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 08:28:48 pm »

Here's my problem. A recent Motor Trend tested both the 1.6 and 2L engines. The Ford Focus was also tested. The Focus tested at 8.1sec to 60mph while the Escape 1.6 was 8.9 .  The 2 L was 6.8 - a little rocket.

Unless you drive with 1 or 2 passengers and very little or no load and on basically flat roads , I just don't see the 1.6 being anything
but rather slow. So, to me, one engine is too weak and the other borderline too strong for the type of vehicle.

I also find the new stying rather whimpy-- and my wife agrees. The new Santa Fe ( at least in pictures ) looks better to me and has a better choice of engines. As an Escape owner I really wanted to like the new version . Too bad.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 08:57:37 pm »

Here's my problem. A recent Motor Trend tested both the 1.6 and 2L engines. The Ford Focus was also tested. The Focus tested at 8.1sec to 60mph while the Escape 1.6 was 8.9 .  The 2 L was 6.8 - a little rocket.

Unless you drive with 1 or 2 passengers and very little or no load and on basically flat roads , I just don't see the 1.6 being anything
but rather slow. So, to me, one engine is too weak and the other borderline too strong for the type of vehicle.

I also find the new stying rather whimpy-- and my wife agrees. The new Santa Fe ( at least in pictures ) looks better to me and has a better choice of engines. As an Escape owner I really wanted to like the new version . Too bad.

Hey Seale, welcome to the Autos.ca forum. I wouldn't dispute that this new Escape looks quite a bit more feminine than the boxy first gen, but i like it. Personally, if they had kept that boxy profile while getting more modern with the details, it would have been even better—as Hyundai managed to pull off with the new Santa Fe.

Hyundai really nailed a good design on the Santa Fe, but I'll wait until I've driven the Santa Fe until I weigh in on whether their engines are better than the Escape's, although these two are in different segments, so not exactly apples to apples...

And I vaguely recall Motor Trend's Escape review—I could have sworn they also concluded that the 1.6 Ecoboost was just fine, with which I agree, but I am generally content with lower powered engines unless they really struggle (CX-5, Impreza) or sound awful (CR-V, Impreza)...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 09:28:25 pm by jyarkony »
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 10:12:25 pm »
I think 8.9s in 0-100 is still faster than the CR-V and RAV4 right? The CX-5 is mid 9s if I remember right. There is quite a difference between the two... I'd probably want the 2.0L. That 0-100 sounds great!

Offline seale

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Santa Fe Sport 2L turbo AWD
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 10:16:01 pm »
 Thanks for the welcome. Moter Trend did indicate that they thought the 1.6 L  was *sufficient* .  But if you are never going to load it up or just use it as a commuter, then why would't you buy a Focus that is noticably quicker.

I've driven a new Focus- nice and sprightly off the line but after that there isn't much left . I just think that the Escape needs to be held to a higher standard because of the kind of vehicle  it is.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 12:10:10 am »
GDI does have its disadvantages.  Which is why I like what Toyota does in their applications of it.  They still use port injection in addition to wash off the intake valves every so often.

Turbochargers are fairly reliable if maintained properly.  Use a good synthetic oil, follow the oil service schedule, allow the turbo 30 secs to cool down if driven hard before shutting off the engine.  Don't be boosting until oil reaches operating temperature.  I've seen people do 400,000 miles (yes, miles) on factory stock turbos from the 90s by just following these tips.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 12:26:15 am »
GDI does have its disadvantages.  Which is why I like what Toyota does in their applications of it.  They still use port injection in addition to wash off the intake valves every so often.

Turbochargers are fairly reliable if maintained properly.  Use a good synthetic oil, follow the oil service schedule, allow the turbo 30 secs to cool down if driven hard before shutting off the engine.  Don't be boosting until oil reaches operating temperature.  I've seen people do 400,000 miles (yes, miles) on factory stock turbos from the 90s by just following these tips.

I thought the 30 second shutdown regimen was to prevent "coking" on oil cooled bearings in the turbo. Aren't they all water cooled these days for just that reason ?
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 12:31:10 am »

The smart money might just sit on the sidelines for now on this new technology.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/05/ask-an-engineer-gdi-problems-in-a-nutshell/

Interesting (and a bit disturbing) link. I hope my wife's Accent GDI holds up. She generally sticks to one brand of gas, and I'll suggest she keep doing that...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 12:41:27 am »
I wouldn't worry about it. These systems have been around since 1996, just not in NA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_direct_injection#Later_systems
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken