Author Topic: GM To Use Base Curb Weights For Calculating Payload Ratings  (Read 4723 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
GM To Use Base Curb Weights For Calculating Payload Ratings
« on: August 11, 2014, 11:35:11 am »

Change applies to medium- and full-size light-duty as well as heavy-duty pickups

Read More...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: GM To Use Base Curb Weights For Calculating Payload Ratings
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 12:11:12 pm »
can't believe that this practice had been allowed to go on as long as it did... might as well start doing fuel economy numbers with interiors removed... or 0-60 times on drag tires...

altering the car to get figures is just sneaky and lies. not a fan.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 12:15:12 pm »
can't believe that this practice had been allowed to go on as long as it did... might as well start doing fuel economy numbers with interiors removed... or 0-60 times on drag tires...

altering the car to get figures is just sneaky and lies. not a fan.

agreed!

I think I'm also more shocked that there's no official standard for this type of stuff.
Now I'm left wondering how can I trust many of the stats and figures being provided?

There should be a standard and if busted cheating, at least get fined for doing so.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 12:18:57 pm »
I'd really like to know what equipment was removed or altered. A rear bumper doesn't really weigh all that much but why would they think to pull of an idiotic stunt like that. This is why this whole "best in class" BS is really useless.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 01:06:14 pm »
There is only one way to do this properly.  Each individual truck, as it leaves the production line should go onto a scale. The truck is 'known' exactly as to what equipment it has so a cheap computer could instantly print out a form giving the payload and the actual weight of the truck as manufactured..  Possibly even a 2 part form, one part sticks to the windshield and the other to the equipment list in the manual.  Why use a scale rather than just adding up the components from the parts list. 
KISSNOFF  of course.

Now even this would not be 100% as it would make no allowance for dealer fitted stuff but it would be very close overall.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 01:08:25 pm by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 01:08:17 pm »
There is only one way to do this properly.  Each individual truck, as it leaves the production line should go onto a scale. The truck is 'known' exactly as to what equipment it has so a cheap computer could instantly print out a form giving the payload.  Possibly even a 2 part form, one part sticks to the windshield and the other to the equipment list in the manual.

Now even this would not be 100% as it would make no allowance for dealer fitted stuff but it would be very close overall.

^^ I agree. No more of this having to do your own math because you have heated seats but no sunroof but you have 16" rims and not the 20" rims....too many variables. A truck scale at the end of the production line should be easy enough to do.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 08:46:28 am »
There is only one way to do this properly.  Each individual truck, as it leaves the production line should go onto a scale. The truck is 'known' exactly as to what equipment it has so a cheap computer could instantly print out a form giving the payload and the actual weight of the truck as manufactured..  Possibly even a 2 part form, one part sticks to the windshield and the other to the equipment list in the manual.  Why use a scale rather than just adding up the components from the parts list. 
KISSNOFF  of course.

Better yet, make it part of the tire equipment sticker that gets stuck to a vehicles door jam. Simple.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 09:25:00 am »
KISSNOFF  of course.

Better yet, make it part of the tire equipment sticker that gets stuck to a vehicles door jam. Simple.
Maybe but that might require government approval if that sticker is regulated. I don't know whtere it is or not but it would not surprise me.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 10:04:47 am »
KISSNOFF  of course.

Maybe but that might require government approval if that sticker is regulated. I don't know whtere it is or not but it would not surprise me.

Separate sticker then, but same basic idea. You are basically just labelling the truck.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 10:13:20 am »
Back home, the load limit was determined by loading up the truck until something broke. Get the truck fixed. Don't haul quite that much next time. Simple.  ;D

I'm pretty sure it's the same out here:
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 10:29:06 am »
Back home, the load limit was determined by loading up the truck until something broke. Get the truck fixed. Don't haul quite that much next time. Simple.  ;D

I'm pretty sure it's the same out here:

Well yeah, thats the easy way, but if you go into BC, those sandal wearing hippies demand that you are under you max weight rating and blah blah blah.....something about safety and mountain passes or some other BS  ;D

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 11:36:30 am »
What I find ironic is that in the truck segment, the MNFRs go to great length to "game" the system for payload (and until recently, towing capacity) numbers, resulting in freakishly high (theoretical) capabilities - that the truck may not realistically live up to.

Yet in the car/CUV market, the MNFRs are so conservative with their payload/tow ratings (ostensibly due to legal concerns?)  Some vehicles that are rated to tow 2000 + lbs in Europe -  same engine, transmission, etc in NA - but "towing not recommended" here.  What's the deal?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 11:40:50 am »
What I find ironic is that in the truck segment, the MNFRs go to great length to "game" the system for payload (and until recently, towing capacity) numbers, resulting in freakishly high (theoretical) capabilities - that the truck may not realistically live up to.

Yet in the car/CUV market, the MNFRs are so conservative with their payload/tow ratings (ostensibly due to legal concerns?)  Some vehicles that are rated to tow 2000 + lbs in Europe -  same engine, transmission, etc in NA - but "towing not recommended" here.  What's the deal?

They figure the truck guys will know better........

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 12:13:12 pm »

There's an explainer on Jalopnik's Opposite Lock about that: http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/tow-me-down-1609112611

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 12:29:19 pm »
There's an explainer on Jalopnik's Opposite Lock about that: http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/tow-me-down-1609112611

Great article! Thanks for posting! :thumbup:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 12:31:12 pm »

Wow, that is a great article, very informative.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 12:32:59 pm »
FWIW when I left the Uk the general speed limit for towing was 50 km/h.  And that is another reason why Clarkson hated caravans.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 12:35:26 pm »
FWIW when I left the Uk the general speed limit for towing was 50 km/h.  And that is another reason why Clarkson hated caravans.

Well yeah....who wouldn't, 50 km/h.....jesus....it would take eons to get anywhere.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 12:39:51 pm »
The UK is tiny. 50kph isn't as big a deal as it would be here. Can you imagine crossing from Thunderbay to Calgary at 50kph?  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 12:42:10 pm »
The UK is tiny. 50kph isn't as big a deal as it would be here. Can you imagine crossing from Thunderbay to Calgary at 50kph?  ;D

Well thats what I mean, distances here are massive, going anywhere would be a huge hassle.