Author Topic: Final Drive: 1979 AMC Spirit AMX  (Read 8121 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Final Drive: 1979 AMC Spirit AMX
« on: May 26, 2015, 06:28:46 am »

Dirty deeds, done dirt cheap.
Read More...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: Final Drive: 1979 AMC Spirit AMX
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 07:42:02 am »
Considering what it's based on, the Spirit was a good-looking little thing back then. I remember seeing the AMX and SX (?) versions around as a kid, friendly little things compared to the bad-boy Camaros and Firebirds that sold in droves a the end of the '70s.

Very nice example, hope it finds a good home!

And great write-up, as usual  :)
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 08:04:20 am »

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 08:36:39 am »
Enjoyable read, Brendan. Humour was spot on; I mean you can only be so serious when writing about a 1979 AMC Spirit. Brought back memories; never had one, but they frequented the streets of St. John's in the 70's and 80's. Styling is fairly timeless. Put some 19" wheels on it and it could pass muster today. The visibility from inside appears awesome. Most cars today could only wish for driver sightlines that good. Old cars are like old music - it's not so much the product, as the memories of the time that they generate that makes them significant.

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: WRX
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 08:52:36 am »
Old cars are like old music - it's not so much the product, as the memories of the time that they generate that makes them significant.

Truth.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 09:00:39 am »
Another great read Brendan. Very cool car too, the black and orange is perfect on this stubby little thing.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 09:58:46 am »
Fun read. Thanks

AMC products were odd ducks but were unique and spearheaded some different in the auto industry at the time influencing other brands and their product line.

Still get excited when I see a classic Javelin.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 10:10:14 am »
Fun read, but yeah, I had totally forgotten about that car.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 09:24:30 pm »
A friend's brother owned one of these back in the day.  He was always wheeling in dealing in (mostly muscle) cars and probably went through several a year, but this was not one of the standouts in any way.  It looked pretty good, but was gutless as hell and everything felt loose.  He didn't keep it for long anyway.

I thought the AMC 4x4 cars were cool and way ahead of their time as it turns out.  Some of their cars wee weird enough to become cult classics though IMO.  Cars like the Matador, Gremlin and Pacer were pretty distinct looking and I'm probably forgetting a few as well.

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 11:09:09 pm »
A friend's brother owned one of these back in the day.  He was always wheeling in dealing in (mostly muscle) cars and probably went through several a year, but this was not one of the standouts in any way.  It looked pretty good, but was gutless as hell and everything felt loose.

I see I forgot to put in the horsepower estimate for that 401ci: 400-500hp. And loose.

Offline Just4u2c

• Noob
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 79 AMC AMX once before and now this one again
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 11:26:04 pm »
Brad here.. Proud NEW owner of this leashed mutt.. Mr. McAleer, your friend Bruce, just gave you the exact experience in this car that you were able to describe this car to a tee..
Back story: My parents bought one new in 79.. drove it for like 70k miles or so then parked it, saved it for when I got my license.. It was my first car... I loved that thing, and I was dumb.. Lots of tickets. Lots of Shennanigans. But it taught me a lot. It built some of the greatest memories I have, along with many of my friends I have recently found out. I always wanted to put a 401 and a 5 speed in it. Bad on me though, I put it into a corner too hard and an evil minivan munched it. ALL my fault.. I went on to buying a 64 Rambler American 2dr HT and dropped a 304 in it with some paint and wheels and drove it until the real world hit and I turned 18... Then, well the fun ended for me for a while with cars.
I took a few years from muscle and went European stuff.. Newer VW's and Audi's and some Beamers...
Just a month ago I got rid of my car and thought about what I wanted.. I wanted my very first car.. Looked really quick online for an AMX. I found 2.. One with 7800 original miles for $20 grand.. And one not so hot of shape for $13 grand.. I gave up.. I just happened to ask my dad (who looks for cars to buy all the time) saturday morning if he had seen an AMX though. He had, on craigslist, in Seattle area. Well I hit the web, and found Bruce's..  I emailed him and headed to the bank. I pulled out all the money I could get my hands on minutes before they closed still waiting on a reply.  And then I got one... Mind you, we are about 450 miles from Bruce. Across another countries border and going on the hope he will keep it for me..
We get there and I light up the ignition and it was mine.. I didn't even need to drive it.. I didn't think about the fact I had to take an untested 38 year old car for 8 hours of driving.. Went for a quick loop with Bruce, shook his hand with a transfer of some dough, and drove off into the sunrise.. Yep, it was still that early..
I babied it all the way home and it did great!!! I was beat and stuffed with so many emotions I didn't even notice all the attention it got.. My wife followed me home, and she got to see all the people stare and take pictures.. I was just in my own little world in this joy.. It drives AMAZING.. I am a mechanic.. There are a lot of new cars that don't track this well.. I was tired from a 900 mile trip, but the next day me and my wife went for another. It was gorgeous out and the car shined..
I live in central Oregon. The roads are long and open out here. There are canyons to cruise, city strips to rumble through. And cars shows every weekend around here.. I have let it stretch its legs a little already. I have already gotten more compliments on it than I can believe.. What am I going to change on it? Not much.. I am going to go through the suspension and replace everything and get rid of those sounds that make people a bit uneasy from the passenger seat. I am going add some period correct seats.. And then I am going to enjoy it. Car shows to just inform people that there are other old hot rods than Novas and Camaros and Mustangs...
It is going to be daily driven, just because here in the land of 300 days of sun, it can be daily driven.. Thank you AMC for creating this, but not so many to flood the market. Thank you to the person who swapped in this new life into this kitten to make it a lion. And thank you Bruce for taking care of it while I looked for just this car.  And finally, thank you Brendan for capturing this car in your perfect description for all of time..

Brad

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 12:07:11 am »
^ Epic! Congratulations, man! :winner:
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 12:14:31 am »
Awesome man, this car is all kinds of win!!

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 12:28:12 am »
That's awesome. Great story. I know this car is going to give you a lot of pleasure.

From central Oregon, eh. My favourite state by far. I think in the past I have driven every state road from north to south and west to east and vice versa.

You didn't die from dysentery?  ;D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oregon_Trail_(video_game)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 09:28:15 am »
that game rocked...

anyway, congratulations brad! i think the amc's not only are funky little runabouts, but due to the rarity of them (who the hell saved them?!) they might even go up in value... not much, but at least enough to cover the wear and tear so that you should always be able to get your money out of it.

i would choose one of these over all the other fake muscle cars of the era... none were that quick, but at least this was quirk.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 10:45:56 am »
*snip*

That's so awesome - sounds like the car found its perfect home!   ;D

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 12:25:36 pm »
What a happy ending  :) !

The Spirit hatch was amazingly stylish in 1979 for something that still had the front clip of a Hornet.

The other body style is even rarer - the classic Gremlin Kammback glass hatch, but with bigger side windows. Get that one as an Eagle and you have one heck of a unicorn!

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 02:24:41 pm »
Brad here.. Proud NEW owner of this leashed mutt.. Mr. McAleer, your friend Bruce, just gave you the exact experience in this car that you were able to describe this car to a tee..
Back story: My parents bought one new in 79.. drove it for like 70k miles or so then parked it, saved it for when I got my license.. It was my first car... I loved that thing, and I was dumb.. Lots of tickets. Lots of Shennanigans. But it taught me a lot. It built some of the greatest memories I have, along with many of my friends I have recently found out. I always wanted to put a 401 and a 5 speed in it. Bad on me though, I put it into a corner too hard and an evil minivan munched it. ALL my fault.. I went on to buying a 64 Rambler American 2dr HT and dropped a 304 in it with some paint and wheels and drove it until the real world hit and I turned 18... Then, well the fun ended for me for a while with cars.
I took a few years from muscle and went European stuff.. Newer VW's and Audi's and some Beamers...
Just a month ago I got rid of my car and thought about what I wanted.. I wanted my very first car.. Looked really quick online for an AMX. I found 2.. One with 7800 original miles for $20 grand.. And one not so hot of shape for $13 grand.. I gave up.. I just happened to ask my dad (who looks for cars to buy all the time) saturday morning if he had seen an AMX though. He had, on craigslist, in Seattle area. Well I hit the web, and found Bruce's..  I emailed him and headed to the bank. I pulled out all the money I could get my hands on minutes before they closed still waiting on a reply.  And then I got one... Mind you, we are about 450 miles from Bruce. Across another countries border and going on the hope he will keep it for me..
We get there and I light up the ignition and it was mine.. I didn't even need to drive it.. I didn't think about the fact I had to take an untested 38 year old car for 8 hours of driving.. Went for a quick loop with Bruce, shook his hand with a transfer of some dough, and drove off into the sunrise.. Yep, it was still that early..
I babied it all the way home and it did great!!! I was beat and stuffed with so many emotions I didn't even notice all the attention it got.. My wife followed me home, and she got to see all the people stare and take pictures.. I was just in my own little world in this joy.. It drives AMAZING.. I am a mechanic.. There are a lot of new cars that don't track this well.. I was tired from a 900 mile trip, but the next day me and my wife went for another. It was gorgeous out and the car shined..
I live in central Oregon. The roads are long and open out here. There are canyons to cruise, city strips to rumble through. And cars shows every weekend around here.. I have let it stretch its legs a little already. I have already gotten more compliments on it than I can believe.. What am I going to change on it? Not much.. I am going to go through the suspension and replace everything and get rid of those sounds that make people a bit uneasy from the passenger seat. I am going add some period correct seats.. And then I am going to enjoy it. Car shows to just inform people that there are other old hot rods than Novas and Camaros and Mustangs...
It is going to be daily driven, just because here in the land of 300 days of sun, it can be daily driven.. Thank you AMC for creating this, but not so many to flood the market. Thank you to the person who swapped in this new life into this kitten to make it a lion. And thank you Bruce for taking care of it while I looked for just this car.  And finally, thank you Brendan for capturing this car in your perfect description for all of time..

Brad

And just when I was going to ask Brendan the contact info for Bruce... :)  Congratulations!

I loved my road trip through Oregon.  I spent 2 days running my 300ZX at Oregon Raceway Park back in 2010.  Absolutely love the curves & rolling hills.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 07:50:35 pm »
Nice article and great ending to the story. Sounds like the car found the perfect owner.

I saw one of these last weekend. Had a GM LS V8 motor swapped in.