Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco  (Read 13961 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 11:05:22 pm »
Those tests tend to favour value for money pretty heavily...so absolutely!  While still fun to banter about, people value different things.

One of my wife's friends didn't buy a Mini STRICTLY because it didn't have a place to dock her iPod...she didn't even drive it.
no, they weighed everything...content, handling, style, interior and exterior looks/fit and finish, and performance...read the article and/or watch the video(s) as there is a "highlight" video on the first page and each car has its own video on its respective page (where it finished).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 06:18:00 am »
Those tests tend to favour value for money pretty heavily...so absolutely!  While still fun to banter about, people value different things.

One of my wife's friends didn't buy a Mini STRICTLY because it didn't have a place to dock her iPod...she didn't even drive it.
no, they weighed everything...content, handling, style, interior and exterior looks/fit and finish, and performance...read the article and/or watch the video(s) as there is a "highlight" video on the first page and each car has its own video on its respective page (where it finished).

There's another test from Automobile magazine and they had a different order too.  You have to remember that some magazines have editors that favour different characteristics.  Overall the reviews of the Cruze have been very good.  If you don't lead foot your new compact then you'll probably be happy with the power output too.  Most of the competitors have powertrains that need to rev above the normal rev range in order to get their best acceleration.  Although I don't generally like turbos, in a small engine like this it gives you better responsiveness and torque in daily driving.

CatsEye68

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 06:33:02 am »
AutoBlog Podcast #236 - Dan Roth's summary of Elantra vs. Cruze vs. others in that segment.

Elantra - Buy it if want lots of kit and don't care much about driving - feels like a car you'd buy at Walmart if Walmart sold cars.

Walmart? :rofl:

He said it, I didn't... ;)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 07:20:24 am »
AutoBlog Podcast #236 - Dan Roth's summary of Elantra vs. Cruze vs. others in that segment.

Elantra - Buy it if want lots of kit and don't care much about driving - feels like a car you'd buy at Walmart if Walmart sold cars.

Cruze or Focus - Buy them because it drives way better than an Elantra.

Corolla - Don't buy it at all

Hmmm...Odd.  The Cruze finished near the bottom in one of the latest magazine multi tests (8 cars) I read.  One of the only cars it beat was the Corolla....

Elantra finished first.

So I guess it really depends who's reviewing it...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1107_best_selling_compact_sedan_comparison/index.html

Yep - much turns on subjective perceptions and preferences.  But I tend to give a bit more credence to the collective opinion of seasoned automotive journalists, as compared with a nameless forumite with an established history of Hyundai hating who may or may not have even driven the Elantra. 

What's interesting, though - is there have been at least 3 or 4 near full-field comparison tests.  The top three spots seem to change - a win for the Focus here, a win for the Elantra there.  But the Cruze has never won.  In fact, I can't recall it ever doing better than a mid-pack finish.  That may not be statistical proof of mediocrity - but it's a step or three along that path.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline kenm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 09:07:06 am »
Hmmm...Odd.  The Cruze finished near the bottom in one of the latest magazine multi tests (8 cars) I read.  One of the only cars it beat was the Corolla....

Elantra finished first.

So I guess it really depends who's reviewing it...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1107_best_selling_compact_sedan_comparison/index.html

Motor Trend! Have you ever browsed through their "Car of the Year" list? Guaranteed to be good for a few chuckles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Trend_Car_of_the_Year
"I paid my four bits to see the high-diving act and I'm a-gonna see the high-diving act. "  Yosemite Sam

Bigtwin

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011, 09:10:54 am »
A car without a spare, not running no-flats, leaves me feeling vulnerable.  I've, twice now, blown tires and they had to be replaced, not fixed. 

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2011, 09:14:55 am »

.....But I tend to give a bit more credence to the collective opinion of seasoned automotive journalists, as compared with a nameless forumite with an established history of Hyundai hating who may or may not have even driven the Elantra. 

So now a guy on AutoBlog named Dan Roth, who has driven the Cruze and the Elantra for a week is a nameless forumite with an established history of Hyundai hating?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2011, 09:46:32 am »

.....But I tend to give a bit more credence to the collective opinion of seasoned automotive journalists, as compared with a nameless forumite with an established history of Hyundai hating who may or may not have even driven the Elantra. 

So now a guy on AutoBlog named Dan Roth, who has driven the Cruze and the Elantra for a week is a nameless forumite with an established history of Hyundai hating?

No.  Have you driven the Cruze or the Elantra?

Jaeger

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2011, 10:38:04 am »
Every single review, even the ones where the Elantra wins, says that handling and steering feel are not top of the class and neither is fuel efficiency.

But the car seems to do decent in all the categories and combined that wins it many comparisons except the ones where ride and handling are weighted heavily (C&D for example).

I'm very surprised the Cruze was able to achieve such low fuel consumption numbers.  Rare that in this class a car can come close to matching its ratings.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2011, 10:54:07 am »
Every single review, even the ones where the Elantra wins, says that handling and steering feel are not top of the class and neither is fuel efficiency.

But the car seems to do decent in all the categories and combined that wins it many comparisons except the ones where ride and handling are weighted heavily (C&D for example).

I'm very surprised the Cruze was able to achieve such low fuel consumption numbers.  Rare that in this class a car can come close to matching its ratings.

Yeah, but if you look at how the Cruze performs in terms of fuel consumption in those same comparison tests, it does even worse than the Elantra.

Jaeger

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2011, 05:06:25 pm »

No.  Have you driven the Cruze or the Elantra?

Jaeger

Nope.  Didn't say I did.  I just gave a quote from an AutoBlog PodCast...I'm trying to figure out who your nameless forumite is that submitted their review.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2011, 05:16:14 pm »
Nope.  Didn't say I did.  I just gave a quote from an AutoBlog PodCast...I'm trying to figure out who your nameless forumite is that submitted their review.

Keep scratching your head - you'll get there eventually.  Or else go bald.

Might look for a guy who cherry-pics disparaging quotes about cars from a certain brand to get hi-fives from Greg.

Glad we have clarified that you don't really hold an opinion on the driving dyamics of the Elantra or Cruze, though.

Jaeger

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2011, 06:22:41 pm »
Glad we have clarified that you don't really hold an opinion on the driving dyamics of the Elantra or Cruze, though.

Jaeger

Yes, we have further clarification on other things as well.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2011, 07:53:09 pm »

Jaeger

Yes, we have further clarification on other things as well.

Talk to me Goose...  :)

Jaeger

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/06/honda-civic-hybrid-takes-on-chevrolet-cruze-eco-and-volkswagen/

Pretty thorough and objective comparison, thanks for posting.  Out of the three cars, I would choose the Cruze in a heartbeat. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Pretty thorough and objective comparison, thanks for posting.  Out of the three cars, I would choose the Cruze in a heartbeat. 
that was a decent article, but i would choose the Jetta TDi, but only by a marginal amount...the Cruze is certainly no "consolation prize".

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/06/honda-civic-hybrid-takes-on-chevrolet-cruze-eco-and-volkswagen/

So would I, but mostly by process of elimination. I would have been much more interested in a comparison of the Elantra and Cruze, considering these are the two new hot entries in the segment.