Author Topic: TESLA Model III  (Read 507122 times)

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
Re: TESLA Model III
« Reply #180 on: April 08, 2016, 09:13:21 pm »
  i see it dropping even lower once they commit to a big dilution of their shares

Do you understand how selling extra shares works?  Since the extra investment is used to purchase equipment and build infrastructure that makes the company more money, the total stock distribution represents a larger value, so even though there are more shares, the per-stock price stays constant, as the company value equals out the potential dilution.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #181 on: April 08, 2016, 09:21:57 pm »
  i see it dropping even lower once they commit to a big dilution of their shares

Do you understand how selling extra shares works?  Since the extra investment is used to purchase equipment and build infrastructure that makes the company more money, the total stock distribution represents a larger value, so even though there are more shares, the per-stock price stays constant, as the company value equals out the potential dilution.

In theory.  The reality is usually the opposite.   

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #182 on: April 08, 2016, 09:23:21 pm »
I blogged about having 1 million electric cars in Ontario and the effects (or non-effects) on our grid:
http://mysmartelectricdrive.blogspot.ca/2014/03/choose-one-boil-steam-or-recharge.html

A noble dream, but the Government of Ontario will be 100% insolvent by that time.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 09, 2016, 04:16:07 pm »
Funny how nobody in America worries about where the electricity is coming from. Oh I drive an electric car, I'm so freakin green.  Uh see that coal plant Mr and Mrs America?  You might want to start thinking about cleaning up your supply system for energy.
This is very true....and I've been reminding people of this whenever I can.  You can even check it out on the EPA website. In many states an EV is dirtier than an ICE car.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 09, 2016, 05:15:42 pm »
In many states an EV is dirtier than an ICE car.

But not in Ontario.  So, my two EV's are much much better for the environment than any gas car here.   So yeah, talk about "coal powered cars" all you want, but it's not true here.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #185 on: April 10, 2016, 02:16:12 am »
Funny how nobody in America worries about where the electricity is coming from. Oh I drive an electric car, I'm so freakin green.  Uh see that coal plant Mr and Mrs America?  You might want to start thinking about cleaning up your supply system for energy.
This is very true....and I've been reminding people of this whenever I can.  You can even check it out on the EPA website. In many states an EV is dirtier than an ICE car.

Coal generation used to make up almost exactly half of US generation. In the last 10 years it's dropped to 35%.

The coal plants are mostly old, built from the 1950s to 1970s, and due for decommissioning or refurbishment. With cheap natural gas and tightening emissions standards, almost all of the old coal plants are being decommissioned when their number is up.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-05-06/king-coal-losing-crown-as-u-s-gains-energy-independence
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2016, 10:39:55 am »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2016, 11:55:14 am »
some further thoughts on the Model 3

http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/here-is-teslas-biggest-challenge-with-the-model-3

I think early adopters, regardless of income, are more willing to put up with reliability issues, at least for a while.

I also think Tesla appeals to the anti-establishment types, who are more likely to buy from a company they see as the underdog or iconoclast. That would explain the difference between the demand for Teslas over cars from Nissan, GM or Ford.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 16, 2016, 12:54:50 am »
http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/here-is-teslas-biggest-challenge-with-the-model-3

One of the comments made me laugh out loud:

[The author] is jealous, he's been ranting for years about this. The guy is a fossil, he tests mini-vans for a living, has no clue what he is talking about.

Another I agree completely with:

Two reasons for high customer satisfaction among Tesla owners despite lower-than-average reliability ratings: 1. Tesla service is awesome. They do whatever it takes to make it right - a big difference from the typical painful dealer service experience. 2. Most of the issues don't affect driveability, so they can be looked after when it's convenient for the owner. Most drive unit issues were a matter of gradually increasing noise from the gearbox. It's not surprising for cars designed from scratch to have some issues at first, but Tesla is continuously improving the product coming out of the factory and they look after customers who encounter these early issues.

We love our Tesla, best car we've ever owned (or driven for that matter).   The service we've received has been top notch.  Tesla really do go above and beyond.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #189 on: April 16, 2016, 05:32:46 am »
I wonder how much is built into the cost to pay for this exemplary service,after what is a "failure",and you being in some ways a Test Drive Dummy cum guinea pig?An Extra $12k of price padding covers a lot of battery replacements and gremlin fixing.just wondering......................
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #190 on: April 16, 2016, 06:33:19 pm »

One of the comments made me laugh out loud:

[The author] is jealous, he's been ranting for years about this. The guy is a fossil, he tests mini-vans for a living, has no clue what he is talking about.

Another I agree completely with:

Two reasons for high customer satisfaction among Tesla owners despite lower-than-average reliability ratings: 1. Tesla service is awesome. They do whatever it takes to make it right - a big difference from the typical painful dealer service experience. 2. Most of the issues don't affect driveability, so they can be looked after when it's convenient for the owner. Most drive unit issues were a matter of gradually increasing noise from the gearbox. It's not surprising for cars designed from scratch to have some issues at first, but Tesla is continuously improving the product coming out of the factory and they look after customers who encounter these early issues.

We love our Tesla, best car we've ever owned (or driven for that matter).   The service we've received has been top notch.  Tesla really do go above and beyond.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: 

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #191 on: April 16, 2016, 09:21:37 pm »
Buddy's model S grenaded the steering rack today.  So he had to flat bed it and drove his Tesla Roadster instead.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 01, 2016, 06:44:58 pm »
Did your buddy just get a lemon or is Tesla struggling for quality?

Buddy loves his Tesla's, and is a very satisfied owner.  But his Tesla Model S is from the first manufacturing batches.  It has been documented that Tesla vastly improved Model S quality as they moved into 2014 and beyond.

My Tesla S has almost 80000 km on it, and is strong and reliable.  We are planning a multi-week road trip for the summer, and fully expect the car to run as well as it did on our one week 1500 km road trip last year.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 01, 2016, 08:08:36 pm »
Buddy's model S grenaded the steering rack today.  So he had to flat bed it and drove his Tesla Roadster instead.

Is the Tesla Roadster red??? I saw one in Ottawa a few weeks ago turning into Merivale Mall. A very rare car.  :)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #194 on: May 01, 2016, 08:13:43 pm »

Is the Tesla Roadster red??? I saw one in Ottawa a few weeks ago turning into Merivale Mall. A very rare car.  :)
Yup that's him.   Been driving it a lot since his S was in for service.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #195 on: May 01, 2016, 09:04:44 pm »

saw that car too, rare indeed and looked quick
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 01, 2016, 10:56:04 pm »
Tesla quality seems to be improving. But still has a way to go.

Last year, according to a Reuters analysis of data provided in the company's annual report, Tesla spent $1,043 per vehicle on actual repairs and set aside $2,036 in warranty accruals to cover future repairs on the vehicles it sold in 2015. It trimmed warranty expenses by 17 percent from 2014 and cut warranty accruals by 34 percent.

Meanwhile, GM spent just $400 last year for every vehicle it sold on warranty repairs and set aside $332 for future work. Ford spent $429 per vehicle and set aside $308. Daimler spent $970 per vehicle and set aside $1,294.

While Tesla builds only two models and last year sold just 50,000 vehicles, GM, Ford and Daimler all have widely disparate product lines and sell millions of vehicles a year. And where Tesla's 2015 revenue was just over $4 billion, the three larger automakers reported revenues of $150 billion and more.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-warranty-idUSKCN0XO1M3
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 02, 2016, 12:28:16 am »
Tesla quality seems to be improving. But still has a way to go.

Last year, according to a Reuters analysis of data provided in the company's annual report, Tesla spent $1,043 per vehicle on actual repairs and set aside $2,036 in warranty accruals to cover future repairs on the vehicles it sold in 2015. It trimmed warranty expenses by 17 percent from 2014 and cut warranty accruals by 34 percent.

Meanwhile, GM spent just $400 last year for every vehicle it sold on warranty repairs and set aside $332 for future work. Ford spent $429 per vehicle and set aside $308. Daimler spent $970 per vehicle and set aside $1,294.

While Tesla builds only two models and last year sold just 50,000 vehicles, GM, Ford and Daimler all have widely disparate product lines and sell millions of vehicles a year. And where Tesla's 2015 revenue was just over $4 billion, the three larger automakers reported revenues of $150 billion and more.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-warranty-idUSKCN0XO1M3

That's not too bad for Tesla, given their average price tag is 2-3x higher than the makes mentioned above.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: TESLA Model III - 500,000 cars in 2018 - video
« Reply #198 on: May 05, 2016, 08:56:17 pm »
Tesla is aiming to ramp up production to 500,000 cars a year in 2018:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-results-idUSKCN0XV2JL

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377