Author Topic: Top Picks: New-Car Features You Never Knew You Needed  (Read 14184 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Top Picks: New-Car Features You Never Knew You Needed
« on: July 02, 2013, 06:26:44 am »

Automakers are pitching more new and, er, interesting in-car gadgets than ever before ' Justin Pritchard weeds out the best ones.

Read More...

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
Re: Top Picks: New-Car Features You Never Knew You Needed
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 07:42:17 am »
I use heated steering wheel a lot.  It warms up very quick and I think it's great. 
Also Nissan's tire assist seems like a good idea, although I've never tried it and I don't know if it's really useful in a real life - I have my trusty tire pressure gauge  ;) 

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 07:50:09 am »
These new features are getting out of hand  ::) Soon the driver will be totally disconnected from the car and become the second front seat passenger. That is why driving the S2000 is such a joy, the only electro nannies it has it has is ABS.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 08:16:06 am »
I'm actually a fan of the heated wheel. Nissan has offered this since the early 2000's on the Maxima and it's one of the first things my wife looks for when she's car shopping. (helped clinch the deal on the BMW)

I've never used a car equipped with night vision but given the numbers of deer,moose and other animals on the roads around here I'd be very interested.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 08:26:10 am »
I use heated steering wheel a lot.  It warms up very quick and I think it's great. 
Also Nissan's tire assist seems like a good idea, although I've never tried it and I don't know if it's really useful in a real life - I have my trusty tire pressure gauge  ;)

Most service stations in Australia have an automated hose - set the pressure, and it inflates to that point then shuts off and beeps at you. I don't know if they're the same here, but it seems a lot like this system is redundant to me. As you said, most people who inflate their tyres at places other than service stations have a gauge anyway.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 08:55:14 am »
The heated steering wheel is one of the few items here which actually seems unobtrusive and genuinely beneficial on a cold winter morning. I've seen the night vision systems and it's distracting. Unless it were the full windshield, which to my knowledge nobody offers, give me a good set of headlights any day.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 09:12:46 am »
I would add back-up camera as one of my favourites - I love back-up cameras and any other related reversing radar sensors, especially the ones that detect a car approaching from out of your field of vision as you back out of a mall parking spot, with a view blocked by larger cars.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +251/-764
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 09:32:27 am »
Had the heated steering wheel in a rental Maxima a few years back and it was great. Would love to have it in my next car.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 09:36:09 am »
I would add back-up camera as one of my favourites - I love back-up cameras and any other related reversing radar sensors, especially the ones that detect a car approaching from out of your field of vision as you back out of a mall parking spot, with a view blocked by larger cars.

I would love a heated steering wheel and a back-up camera; add cooled/ventilated seats to that list!

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 10:18:53 am »
I'm actually a fan of the heated wheel. Nissan has offered this since the early 2000's on the Maxima and it's one of the first things my wife looks for when she's car shopping. (helped clinch the deal on the BMW)

I've never used a car equipped with night vision but given the numbers of deer,moose and other animals on the roads around here I'd be very interested.

I was just going to say the same about the heated steering wheel.  Certainly not so new since the Macima had it way back.  Sure, it is becoming more common.

Same with night vision.  I remember Cadillac having it in the 2000 DeVille.

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 10:36:04 am »

The problem with a back-up cameras is how people use them.  I've seen it many times people looking at the screen while backing up, instead of turning and looking in the direction they drive.  I don't see the need for one in my cars (both have great all around visibility) but sometimes I wish I had one on my truck.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2109
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 10:54:20 am »
Nightvision and that system that tells you when the tire is full.....  ::) .....Ive had a tire gauge in every car since I started driving.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 12:01:05 pm »
Fancy features are a funny thing...driving my plain-jane half ton around all weekend I never felt at a loss for not having any (except for maybe a decent stereo). Then, driving the Berlin taxi to work this morning I am glad to be surrounded by them. I don't care for the high tech nannies, but I do appreciate the comfort and convenience features. Things I like:

No such thing as too good of a stereo or too comfortable seats, so as much of both as possible
Accurate, automatic control of the climate (heat/cool/humidity), including seats and steering wheel
Slick control of my vehicle info system, to me that means a combo of voice commands and console rotary dial
Combo of rear view camera and accurate parking sensors
Accurate automatic headlights/high beams...and cruise control
Power shades for the side/rear windows and esp. the panoramic sunroof

So in the end, I like the Premium Package offered by the Germans. It's a bundle of nice to have options and seems to always cost around $4,800. Can live with out it for sure, but wouldn't as long as I can afford the upgrade.

I think every vehicle should offer a stand alone audiophile stereo option. So what if I want the base model, I want the 16 speaker B&O system.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 01:26:42 pm »
As I often drive mountain roads in the dark, I think the night vision system would be fantastic.  Animal strikes are a big deal...

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 01:29:12 pm »
Fancy features are a funny thing...driving my plain-jane half ton around all weekend I never felt at a loss for not having any (except for maybe a decent stereo). Then, driving the Berlin taxi to work this morning I am glad to be surrounded by them. I don't care for the high tech nannies, but I do appreciate the comfort and convenience features. Things I like:

No such thing as too good of a stereo or too comfortable seats, so as much of both as possible
Accurate, automatic control of the climate (heat/cool/humidity), including seats and steering wheel
Slick control of my vehicle info system, to me that means a combo of voice commands and console rotary dial

So in the end, I like the Premium Package offered by the Germans. It's a bundle of nice to have options and seems to always cost around $4,800. Can live with out it for sure, but wouldn't as long as I can afford the upgrade.

I think every vehicle should offer a stand alone audiophile stereo option. So what if I want the base model, I want the 16 speaker B&O system.

I wonder if the $5k stereo option on expensive German/Japanese cars is as good as $5k (or whatever price eq.) of aftermarket equipment would be...?

Aftermarket systems are almost always better in terms of quality - mostly because of bigger/better amplifiers and subwoofers. Unfortunately aftermarket systems rarely fit with a 'factory finish', and many people buying new luxury cars don't want to see big subwoofer boxes in the trunk or cheap-looking speaker grilles on the door panels, despite superior performance. Good and reputable car audio installers will often find creative places to store big amps and subwoofers, but you pay for the custom build.

One factory system I'd like to hear is the new Meridian audio system in the 2013 Range Rover - 1700 watts and 29 speakers...wow! Where do they put them all???

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 01:31:20 pm »

I wonder if the $5k stereo option on expensive German/Japanese cars is as good as $5k (or whatever price eq.) of aftermarket equipment would be...?

I would think so, the aftermarket stuff is usually much better equipment, but like aaronk said, installation is the hard. Most of the time it looks ghetoo.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 02:18:30 pm »
i really like my music... but i can't say i see some of the values in these crazy new systems... give me 8/9 speakers with a sub... more than that seems ridiculous. you should be able to get great sound without having to put a speaker in every trim panel. i was in my patriot with 9 speakers... i love the sound... got in a 19 speaker jeep today... really didn't notice the difference...

then we have so called audiophiles who use their ipod with default settings, illegal download with crap quality, but insist on more speakers than valves and boost the equalizer to 100% bass...

[/tangent]

heated wheel... like it... text assist... good.  the rest are gimmicky for my needs. and even those two things i can do without.

the honda vacuum.. anyone used it? does it have any power to it or is it a weak dustbuster?

another little "feature" i've used a lot in my jeep is the rechargeable built-in flashlight. and i don't have them, but our new vans and 300's have built in sunshades... they seem cool.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 02:58:24 pm »
I'd like to see self activating turn "blinker" systems and delete the self cancellation part
 make fer a nice Blinkin evening on the 401.... ;) .starry starry nite,.and why just a heated steering wheel ALLWHEELS and tyres be heated Mon.....drive thru da Blizzard like a Dairy Queen,music stuff OK......all the rest be wanker's toys......and i have a few on my new car  <shrug> :-\
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 03:03:28 pm »
I'd like to see self activating turn "blinker" systems and delete the self cancellation part
 make fer a nice Blinkin evening on the 401.... ;) .starry starry nite,.and why just a heated steering wheel ALLWHEELS and tyres be heated Mon.....drive thru da Blizzard like a Dairy Queen,music stuff OK......all the rest be wanker's toys......and i have a few on my new car  <shrug> :-\

When would the "self activation" start? When the mirror detects your eyes looking in the side mirror? Remember, you're supposed to indicate long before you begin to turn/change lanes/brake.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 03:05:58 pm »

When would the "self activation" start? When the mirror detects your eyes looking in the side mirror? Remember, you're supposed to indicate long before you begin to turn/change lanes/brake.

No....because then you give the moron behind you a chance to accelerate and try to cut you off  ;D