Author Topic: Winter Test: 2015 Hyundai Genesis and Santa Fe XL  (Read 14898 times)

Offline BradT

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-10
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Test: 2015 Hyundai Genesis and Santa Fe XL
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 07:44:26 am »
I am having a hard job seeing the front left tire on the Genesis due to the size of my screen, but are the tires installed the correct direction?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:01:52 am by BradT »

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 10:31:20 am »
A performance-oriented ice/dry pavement winter tire was the strategy chosen - it clearly didn't work out. We may have had slightly better luck with another model like the Dunlop Wintersport, but who knows.

The only way to really know how much was the tires vs. the AWD system would be the following...

"So a Quattro, an HTRAC, and a 4-Matic walk into a bar. They all are dressed differently, but  wearing identical shoes.The weather outside is atrocious, but after a few drinks the alcohol starts kicking in and they agree go outside for a foot race...
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Winter Test: 2015 Hyundai Genesis and Santa Fe XL
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 11:04:29 am »
Tires tires tires.   Most important piece in the equation no question.

I've got performance winter tires on my isf.   They are useless on anything by dry pavement.

Even in cold dry pavement they can be easily overwhelmed.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 12:34:51 pm »
I thought the piece regarding the Genesis was kind of pointless. Obviously conditions were atrocious - why bother writing it at all. At times it seems like you're saying the AWD system is ineffective and inferior to its competitors and at other times just blaming the tires. Either way that portion of the article may as well have been left out as it didn't really form any type of conclusions at all - other than maybe sometimes its best to just stay off the roads. Mention that you tried to review and that mother nature wouldn't let you and let that be the end of it - focus on the Santa Fe.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Online JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 01:10:59 pm »
I am having a hard job seeing the front left tire on the Genesis due to the size of my screen, but are the tires installed the correct direction?

I took a look at the pics after seeing this post and I think BradT may be right.  The directional sypes look like they are going the opposite way.  This can make a big difference in the way the tire digs into the snow and could explain the unpredictable handling described.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 01:55:43 pm »
There was oversteer. There was understeer. There was lateral sliding while driving down a straight, off-camber road. There were a lot of things going on that, cumulatively, can only be explained by a lack of traction/grip due to tires. (Our car also had a very close call. If I was at the wheel, I would have written about the near-miss explicitly. But, due to professional courtesy to the driver -- not Hyundai -- I didn't mentioned it in detail.)

I've driven the Genesis before in the summer. Force is going to kill me for this but I'll say it anyway -- even with all the nannies off it's very, very hard to get it out of shape, no matter how hard you try to get it out of shape. So, at least in summer (dry and wet), the all-wheel drive system is great.
But, I explained the way I did because I truly don't know what to think of the HTRAC system. The conditions and tires conspired against the test. It happens. It sucks. I wish I could have said more.
Thanks for the explanation, Mark!  See, what a guy :)

I appreciate it (no sarcasm - only honesty).  And no matter the explanation, I think criticism is the only way to get proper progress.

"So a Quattro, an HTRAC, and a 4-Matic walk into a bar. They all are dressed differently, but  wearing identical shoes.The weather outside is atrocious, but after a few drinks the alcohol starts kicking in and they agree go outside for a foot race...

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 02:43:24 pm »
I thought the piece regarding the Genesis was kind of pointless. Obviously conditions were atrocious - why bother writing it at all. At times it seems like you're saying the AWD system is ineffective and inferior to its competitors and at other times just blaming the tires. Either way that portion of the article may as well have been left out as it didn't really form any type of conclusions at all - other than maybe sometimes its best to just stay off the roads. Mention that you tried to review and that mother nature wouldn't let you and let that be the end of it - focus on the Santa Fe.

If I didn't mention the Genesis, we wouldn't be having this at-length conversation about tires. I think that's a good thing.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 04:53:03 pm »
If I didn't mention the Genesis, we wouldn't be having this at-length conversation about tires. I think that's a good thing.
Agreed.

Like I said - I was trying to be constructive and honest.  No ill-will whatsoever towards the test, Hyundai, or the author.

I actually really enjoyed reading the article - it gave me stuff to argue about ;)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 04:58:09 pm »
Force, quick question for you if you don't mind.  At this point I really have no idea what my next purchase will be later this year........but the Genesis does appeal to me and I've priced one out on their website.  Just curious if Hyundai typically has much cash on the hood for these?
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 05:39:04 pm »
Force, quick question for you if you don't mind.  At this point I really have no idea what my next purchase will be later this year........but the Genesis does appeal to me and I've priced one out on their website.  Just curious if Hyundai typically has much cash on the hood for these?
Looks like about $3gs this month

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2015, 07:28:00 pm »

You're going to see us gradually shifting our offers towards leasing this year. This has historically been a weak point for us as we did not have a captive financing company. As of March 1, this is no longer the case. Some of our competitors have lease penetration in the 80% range, so that's the direction we'll be moving.

If you have any questions leading up to your purchase process, feel free to PM me. Happy to help a forum member in any way I can, including locating a car in the specification you want.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Winter Test: 2015 Hyundai Genesis and Santa Fe XL
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 08:18:13 pm »

Unless they have amazing deals, wait till 2016...Hyundais are known to drop in value fast, I bet you will be able to get a Genesis for 30s...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2015, 09:55:40 pm »
Have you driven one yet Shane? Interested in your thoughts if and when you do.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 10:30:39 pm »
Have you driven one yet Shane? Interested in your thoughts if and when you do.

No, I haven't driven one yet Roger.  I've seen a couple on the streets so far and really really love how they look.  And they tick quite a few of the right boxes for my next vehicle as well.  I'm not even sure if our local dealership stocks them yet, but would definitely like to test drive one if they do. 

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 10:31:17 pm »

You're going to see us gradually shifting our offers towards leasing this year. This has historically been a weak point for us as we did not have a captive financing company. As of March 1, this is no longer the case. Some of our competitors have lease penetration in the 80% range, so that's the direction we'll be moving.

If you have any questions leading up to your purchase process, feel free to PM me. Happy to help a forum member in any way I can, including locating a car in the specification you want.

Thanks Force, very good to know!   :thumbup:

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2015, 12:29:45 am »

aww come on force!  you are not gonna offer to drive a demo out to NB so Canuck can try it out for a month or so?
what's forum brother gotta do to get some love around here?   ;D ;)

Quick, Canuck, ship him some barrels of your finest brew!  ;D ;D

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2015, 03:56:08 pm »
http://blogues.lapresse.ca/monvolant/descarries/2015/02/28/buick-enclave-et-hyundai-genesis-et-santa-fe-en-hiver/

According to this well regarded reviewer of winter tires in Quebec, who was also present at the Hyundai event, it was more an issue with inappropriate tire size for the conditions than the tires themselves.  These aggressively sized summer wheels (245/45-18) are not the best thing for driving on any kind of winter conditions one finds in La Belle Province.  A minus 1 or 2 setup would definitely be my choice overhere.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2015, 04:32:22 pm »
http://blogues.lapresse.ca/monvolant/descarries/2015/02/28/buick-enclave-et-hyundai-genesis-et-santa-fe-en-hiver/

According to this well regarded reviewer of winter tires in Quebec, who was also present at the Hyundai event, it was more an issue with inappropriate tire size for the conditions than the tires themselves.  These aggressively sized summer wheels (245/45-18) are not the best thing for driving on any kind of winter conditions one finds in La Belle Province.  A minus 1 or 2 setup would definitely be my choice overhere.

I'd say Eric and I are both correct. Yes, a smaller, narrower tire would be better for winter. That said, I'm willing to bet the majority of Canadians (and definitely the majority of Genesis drivers) wouldn't run winter wheels.

Force -- can the Genesis even handle a -2 inch wheel? I'm guessing it could go -1 but I highly doubt -2.

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2015, 04:37:12 pm »

I'd say Eric and I are both correct. Yes, a smaller, narrower tire would be better for winter. That said, I'm willing to bet the majority of Canadians (and definitely the majority of Genesis drivers) wouldn't run winter wheels.

Force -- can the Genesis even handle a -2 inch wheel? I'm guessing it could go -1 but I highly doubt -2.

This is just me who suggested -2 but I'm afraid the Genesis can't go down to 16''.   A 17'' option would be a good compromise.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2015, 07:33:13 pm »

I'm not aware of any 16" wheel which would fit. Many 17" wheel designs will not fit because the front brakes use big 4-piston fixed calipers. The V8 has even larger rotors, so its winter fitment is 18" at the smallest. This is a challenge with many large sedans with big brake packages. Ideally you'd want to fit a narrow tire, but the brake dimensions forbid downsizing to a small enough wheel.