Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV sedan  (Read 6141 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV sedan
« on: January 13, 2012, 03:04:38 am »

Class-leading rear legroom and trunk space highlight the new Versa sedan, but the engine can be noisy.

Read More...

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Nissan Versa 1.6 SV sedan
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 06:14:16 am »
We've had a "Day by Day" review, 2 "First Drive" articles and one previous "Test Drive"...

All this for a car a lot of people think might just possibly be the worst car on the market right now

Enough already!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 07:12:45 am by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline ajay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +16/-34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 07:00:38 am »
The other car stats were interesting though .
 On braking the Accent had the worst braking distance yet was the only car with all disc brakes .
I used to think it was great of Hyundai to offer all dic brakes on it's sub compact but it means nothing now .

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 08:17:02 am »
This is a very favourable review overall.  The noise issue, very prominent in other reviews, is put into perspective.  ie in normal driving it really isn't a factor.

RPM at 100km being under 2000, is amazing for this sector.  The test fuel economy numbers are also impressive.

BTW, I think the Versa really straddles two sectors.  It is basically as big as a Civic or Corolla and content to content is actually cheaper than virtually any sub-compact.

So while definitely not a purist machine from any point of view, the Versa is an outstanding proposition on the basis of content and size.  Although rough around the edges, there don't appear to be any fatal flaws for an average driver who wants a medium sized car and a lot of toys.

If you know people who are downsizing or small families needing cheap and (probably) reliable transport, then this would be a car to recommend for a look-see.

Cheers,
John M.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 09:18:43 am by JohnM »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 08:42:06 am »
The other car stats were interesting though .
 On braking the Accent had the worst braking distance yet was the only car with all disc brakes .
I used to think it was great of Hyundai to offer all dic brakes on it's sub compact but it means nothing now .

...Ajay wot ya expect of "All DIC BRAKES".... ::) :P ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 09:55:16 am »
An interesting review. 3 of us rented a taxi in Mauritius last month, a 5 year old Tiida (Versa in Canada)., imported from Japan as a used car. It had amazing leg room, the driver used the 5 speed manual transmission to good advantage on the windy bumpy roads. We were all impressed with the car as a taxi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/6689847599/

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 11:26:00 am »
I generally like Nissan vehicles, but on this occasion I have to say the styling of the Versa sedan is just plain ugly. Looks like it was styled by some low self esteem design studio.

Offline mik101

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 11:40:42 am »
I generally like Nissan vehicles, but on this occasion I have to say the styling of the Versa sedan is just plain ugly. Looks like it was styled by some low self esteem design studio.

Nothing wrong with the front and rear fascias. They fit with other Nissan designs. The rest of the car is a victim of function (size) over form -- while still fitting in a compact (subcompact?) footprint. Well, except maybe for the lack of sideskirts to hide the lower spot welds.

For a low income family that wants a new car, it really looks unbeatable. Sure there may not be all the fancy features or performance of more expensive models, but with used car prices climbing, I can see this doing very well.

Disclaimer: I wouldn't buy it for many reasons, but I'm also not the intended market.

As a low cost, big space people mover. It's a win. (Look at how well the decontented North American Jetta has done). The bread and butter will likely sill be the hatch though.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 12:16:13 pm »
We've had a "Day by Day" review, 2 "First Drive" articles and one previous "Test Drive"...

All this for a car a lot of people think might just possibly be the worst car on the market right now

Enough already!

If you have it reviewed by enough people then eventuality a positive outcome will happen.

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 12:22:15 pm »

Enough already!

If you have it reviewed by enough people then eventuality a positive outcome will happen.

:rofl:  Yep...I guess it's a case of just keep asking the same question until you get the answer you want. ;D

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 12:51:34 pm »
"An on/off “overdrive” button on the shift lever enhances throttle responsiveness by raising engine revs to a higher starting point. It’s like dropping down a gear with the push of a button, and we found it handy when going up steep hills."

Isn't overdrive meant to be a taller gear and thus lower rpms for highway cruising? If so why would they call the button overdrive? Unless pressing it to turn it off provides the effect observed above?

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 01:02:42 pm »
The local Nissan dealer just got a shipment of these, so I went to have a look. It's definitely not for me, but the new Versa sedan looked a lot better in the metal than the pictures led me to expect. The price certainly is right, the loaded model I looked at with alloys, cruise, upgraded stereo etc. had a sticker price of under 18 grand. An equivalent loaded Rio at the Kia lot next door was almost 21 grand, so I think Nissan will do well with the Versa sedan based on that alone.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 01:24:28 pm »
"An on/off “overdrive” button on the shift lever enhances throttle responsiveness by raising engine revs to a higher starting point. It’s like dropping down a gear with the push of a button, and we found it handy when going up steep hills."

Isn't overdrive meant to be a taller gear and thus lower rpms for highway cruising? If so why would they call the button overdrive? Unless pressing it to turn it off provides the effect observed above?

That's the way the "overdrive" button works on automatic transmission cars - the transmission engages the "overdrive" (top) gear by default. Pressing the button stops it from engaging top gear. If the transmission is already in top gear, the transmission will downshift one gear.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 12:08:41 pm »

That's the way the "overdrive" button works on automatic transmission cars - the transmission engages the "overdrive" (top) gear by default. Pressing the button stops it from engaging top gear. If the transmission is already in top gear, the transmission will downshift one gear.

Yes on all points.....use this feature to full value on my "03 Echo.It's great to help slow down without using the brakes AND extra "oomph" when needed (which isn't much to begin with) ").

As I mentioned at a previously review this is a "updated" version of my Echo...nothing more, nothing less.   ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline kenm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 02:53:20 pm »
"I paid my four bits to see the high-diving act and I'm a-gonna see the high-diving act. "  Yosemite Sam