Author Topic: First Drive: 2014 Maserati Quattroporte S Q4  (Read 8923 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2014 Maserati Quattroporte S Q4
« on: May 27, 2013, 06:31:51 am »

The Quattroporte has grown more efficient and accommodating, but hasn't lost its passione.

Read More...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: First Drive: 2014 Maserati Quattroporte S Q4
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 10:43:25 am »
Gives for some second looks when noticed on the road.
I like the new Maserati's but for me I'll take a RWD V8 thanks.
Definitely a sweet sound when these things rev.
Nice change in the luxury/sport car market to the many German rivals I see locally.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:45:16 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 10:52:32 am »
She looks amazing.....but a V6....  :thumbdown: If I could, full sock V8 with their sport package, easily one of the best sounding machines Ive ever heard.
Lighten up Francis.....

Northernridge

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 11:27:28 am »
It's purdy.  :love:

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 12:26:23 pm »
Meh. It's bloated and bulbous compared to the previous model, which IMO was a stunning design and will soon be a modern classic. The elongated rear doors on this new one have erased the elegantly taut, athletic proportions, which IMO was what this model was always about. But I can't blame Maserati for going in this direction - they've aimed this car at their biggest emerging market, China, who love big back seats. But for my [imaginary] QP money i'd sooner buy a lightly-used previous model.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 12:29:08 pm by lebowski »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 05:47:46 pm »
love the old one. Menacing and svelte all at the same time. Plus it was essentially a 4-door Ferrari. Best all murdered out with tints in black.

Tidy 2005-2006 models are going for under $40k now too. Apparently they are pretty reliable outside of the Cambiocorsa gearbox which needs clutches every 50k or so...

that is the one I would get...

New one is too....generic for me.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 06:56:32 pm »
love the old one. Menacing and svelte all at the same time. Plus it was essentially a 4-door Ferrari. Best all murdered out with tints in black.

Tidy 2005-2006 models are going for under $40k now too. Apparently they are pretty reliable outside of the Cambiocorsa gearbox which needs clutches every 50k or so...

My favourites are the 2009+ GT-S models with teh more aggressive grille. I'll take mine in any colour  :)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 08:25:18 pm »

My favourites are the 2009+ GT-S models with teh more aggressive grille. I'll take mine in any colour  :)
Agreed.
http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,72005.msg681228.html#msg681228
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Chambers

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
  • Life happen while busy making plans
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 09' Fusion SEL w/Sports Pkg
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 10:01:45 pm »
Love the website, daily reader but wish there were articles ONLY about cars us average North Americans will and or already driving.....can't even bother to read these ones!

Am I the only one who feels this way. ??? ::)
Paid to drive....problem is its a bus and I'm in a city!!!!

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 12:11:11 am »
Love the website, daily reader but wish there were articles ONLY about cars us average North Americans will and or already driving.....can't even bother to read these ones!

sorry, but yes. See your counterpart in the UK, Mr. Needham, who has brought about hilarious reviews of cars for us poor people by Clarkson.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 12:28:19 am »

yes...it is fine to have some fun stuff thrown in every once in a while...besides, there are plenty of threads in here for regular people.

here you go: http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,83611.0.html
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Northernridge

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 01:38:07 pm »

Auto.ca is a pretty balanced and down to earth. In fact, some days I think much more down to earth and we'll have to start reading transit bus reviews.  ;)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 01:50:41 pm »

Auto.ca is a pretty balanced and down to earth. In fact, some days I think much more down to earth and we'll have to start reading transit bus reviews.  ;)
true, I love the spice in the occasional sport sedan review. Otherwise, lots of down to earth commuter machines reviewed well and efficiently. But still uninspiring commuter CUVs and compacts...

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 01:51:03 pm »

Agree. I do think this site does a solid job of covering the attainable and practical fare, while offering the occasional escapist fun of exotic reviews. I like reading about what it's like to run something exotic in an everyday setting. Grocery run in a Phantom? How many hockey bags can one reasonably fit in the back of a Ferrari FF? I gotta know! ;D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:56:44 pm by lebowski »

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 05:09:41 pm »
how come the dash and the GPS are so ugly?!

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 09:48:32 pm »
She looks amazing.....but a V6....  :thumbdown: If I could, full sock V8 with their sport package, easily one of the best sounding machines Ive ever heard.

+1

We were behind a V8 last year for about 5 minutes in traffice. Only one I've seen in NS. My wife and daughter said:Why is that car so loud..my daughter said Daddy that noise scares me.

My son and I kept winding the windows down to listen to the exhaust note ...we were practically drooling Probaly the best 4dr exhaust sound I've heard in person..Audi RS4 V8 being number 2.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 12:50:11 am »

+1

We were behind a V8 last year for about 5 minutes in traffice. Only one I've seen in NS. My wife and daughter said:Why is that car so loud..my daughter said Daddy that noise scares me.

My son and I kept winding the windows down to listen to the exhaust note ...we were practically drooling Probaly the best 4dr exhaust sound I've heard in person..Audi RS4 V8 being number 2.

+1 but I'd say an AMG C63 would be a pretty close 3rd :)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 02:22:26 am »

+1

+1 but I'd say an AMG C63 would be a pretty close 3rd :)

Oh there is nothing like a proper Merc AMG.....they are amazing!!!

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 07:14:04 pm »

My 3-doors down neighbour owns a Ford dealership, and he brought home a 2007 Maser Q-porte he took as a trade-in. It sports a gorgeous charcoal colour, with black/white interior. It sounds fantastic of course.

Upon closer inspection though, it was no trailer queen. 100k on the odo, a few rust blooms, nicks and scratches, curb rashed wheels. 30-35k takes it  ;)
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 08:04:04 pm »

My 3-doors down neighbour owns a Ford dealership, and he brought home a 2007 Maser Q-porte he took as a trade-in. It sports a gorgeous charcoal colour, with black/white interior. It sounds fantastic of course.

Upon closer inspection though, it was no trailer queen. 100k on the odo, a few rust blooms, nicks and scratches, curb rashed wheels. 30-35k takes it  ;)

That's the sort of car I would have to buy on a whim.  If I thought about it my old man practical side would talk me out of it.