Author Topic: 06 Impreza  (Read 20871 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: 06 Impreza
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 04:08:16 pm »
28-30 MPG in the city, for an 2.5L AWD car?  :o

He probably means Imperial gallons.  Once you throw in the US vs Imperial question into the mix MPG becomes even less meaningful in a metric country.  I do wonder why people don't just use L/100km - it's unambiguous.  I also wonder how one can accurately estimate MPG given the both the odometer and the gasoline are reported in metric units.  ???

http://www.sciencemadesimple.net/fuel_economy.php  ;D conversion , Dude  ;D

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 04:23:22 pm »
Canada isn't a fully metric country, they tried that initially but what we ended up with in reality is a hybrid system of imperial and metric units.

As far as not using L/100 km it still (for some reason) doesn't mean much to me, whereas mpg is very intuitive. I've never heard anyone in real life (yet) talk about the L/100 km their vehicle gets.

dorin

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 04:24:31 pm »
http://www.sciencemadesimple.net/fuel_economy.php  ;D conversion , Dude  ;D

Sure it's pretty easy to do the conversion.  But why do a conversion in the first place?  Why not just report fuel consumption in the units that fuel volume and distance are actually measured in?

dorin

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 04:29:27 pm »
Canada isn't a fully metric country, they tried that initially but what we ended up with in reality is a hybrid system of imperial and metric units.

As far as not using L/100 km it still (for some reason) doesn't mean much to me, whereas mpg is very intuitive. I've never heard anyone in real life (yet) talk about the L/100 km their vehicle gets.

Only partially metric or not, distance and fuel volume are measured in metric units to begin with.  Using non-metric units also introduces the ambiguity of what kind of gallons are being used.  It's adding hassle and complexity for no good reason.

Other than on this board I have never heard anyone use mpg to describe fuel consumption in real life.  Everyone I know either uses L/100km or the very vague and as annoying as mpg "kilometres per fill-up".

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 05:18:08 pm »
  I also wonder how one can accurately estimate MPG given the both the odometer and the gasoline are reported in metric units.  ???

Hence the vocabulary 'roughly' and 'estimate'.....forgot to check where I used the word accurate anywhere? 

As for imperial vs. metric units....I guess that's why Canadian Driver ONLY includes metric measurements in their specifications section for each car test driven...wait a second, did I say ONLY ::)

dorin

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 05:49:14 pm »
Hence the vocabulary 'roughly' and 'estimate'.....forgot to check where I used the word accurate anywhere? 

As for imperial vs. metric units....I guess that's why Canadian Driver ONLY includes metric measurements in their specifications section for each car test driven...wait a second, did I say ONLY ::)

In that case, "roughly" + "estimate" + conversion errors = meaningless  ::)

How should I know why Canadian Driver includes non-metric measurements as well as metric ones?  Maybe there are some dinosaurs on staff like there are on this board?  Maybe they feel compelled to cater to their dinosaurs in their audience?  Regardless, they do include the proper metric measurements as well.

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 05:58:10 pm »

In that case, "roughly" + "estimate" + conversion errors = meaningless  ::)

How should I know why Canadian Driver includes non-metric measurements as well as metric ones?  Maybe there are some dinosaurs on staff like there are on this board?  Maybe they feel compelled to cater to their dinosaurs in their audience?  Regardless, they do include the proper metric measurements as well.

Perhaps you can start your own thread about the topic of units of measurement in the appropriate forum and stop hijacking my post intended to discuss my satisfaction with my new car....and I didn't see where people were only supposed to post in the 'show and shine' if they used metric units? 

dorin

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 06:04:02 pm »
Perhaps you can start your own thread about the topic of units of measurement in the appropriate forum and stop hijacking my post intended to discuss my satisfaction with my new car....and I didn't see where people were only supposed to post in the 'show and shine' if they used metric units? 

We've been over the units of measurement thing before.  I think the consensus was that the old guys found non-metric measurements meaningful but it was useless to anyone who grew up with the metric system.

As for hijacked tangents, it's part and parcel of internet forums.  Don't worry, the tangent will die down soon enough if people stop going along it.

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 06:08:41 pm »
Nice ride, I'm sure you will love it especial come next winter but you can still use the extra traction in the rain and going around corners.
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 09:45:46 pm »
I think you could find seat covers that allows the side airs bags to deploy.  They shouldn't cover the side of the seat where the air bag deploys.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2008, 01:29:25 am »
That is a great looking vehicle. Thanks for sharing.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2008, 12:54:58 pm »
Again, nice ride.  Do you like "Monster Hospital" by Metric?  Ooops...sorry.   :D

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2008, 01:23:08 pm »
Again, nice ride.  Do you like "Monster Hospital" by Metric?  Ooops...sorry.   :D

I prefer Star Wars 'Imperial March' ;D.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2008, 06:53:33 am »
Nice Wagon. One of my wife’s cons with her Impreza wagon was the lack of a rear cargo light.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2008, 07:03:38 am »
Get her one of these, to use in the back