Author Topic: Consumer Advice: Used Turbo Cars 101  (Read 11633 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Consumer Advice: Used Turbo Cars 101
« on: April 18, 2013, 06:27:24 am »

Our top tips for maximum confidence in buying and owning a used car with a turbocharger.

Read More...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Consumer Advice: Used Turbo Cars 101
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 07:28:19 am »
great article! Turbos are not scary and don't mean unreliability is bound to be an issue in a used car. My Saab 9-3 has been tuned for most of the time I have owned it, and it is still going strong. I totally agree on the maintenance, though. Quality full synthetic like Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple, or Rotella T6 is required, should be changed at least every 8k, as well as all turbo cars should be using the recommended gas grade.

Nothing replaces the rush you get from a turbo car, and I will always be driving one. Tuning, when professionally done, is completely safe as long as the car was only taken to Stage 1 or so. That Cobalt must have been tuned by a hack or with a manual boost controller, no supporting mods, and was taken to stupid levels of power. Even a na engine can easily blow it's bottom end if you exceed the safe limit of its engine tolerances, it is just easier to do that in a turbo. Ecotec turbo engines are blastproof as long as you are not an idiot, which the owner of that particular one might have been.

Loved the article, who is writing the one on superchargers now?
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 08:41:34 am »
For those who like long term vehicles, I would suggest they save turbo's for their diesels  ;D
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 08:42:26 am »
Good article, thanks for the useful info! How does one guard against a used turbo where the driver used a cobb access port to increase the boost but brought back to oem spec for the sale? If all of the inspection tips check out I guess the turbocharger is still decent?

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 09:00:36 am »
Very informative, thanks for putting this together. I think some used turbo cars are more likely to be abused than others and should likely be purchased more carefully. A Volvo 2.5T AWD likely wouldn't have seen a life of clutch dropping or backroad hooning, but a MazdaSpeed3, Cobalt SS or WRX STI would warrant a more careful inspection.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 09:04:27 am »
Good article  :thumbup: like nlm stated mild stage 1 ecu tuning is low risk with minimal consequences. Stage 2 with with intake and exhaust plumbing will increase risk and reduce engine life. A stage 3 with fuel injectors, pumps, headers, and  intercoolers will cut life by 50% or more and if not properly installed and dyno tuned could be terminal.

My Stage 2 STi blew #4 a year after it was traded in for the TTRS. Excessive heat from the down pipe was the culprit.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 10:17:16 am »
Good article  :thumbup: like nlm stated mild stage 1 ecu tuning is low risk with minimal consequences. Stage 2 with with intake and exhaust plumbing will increase risk and reduce engine life. A stage 3 with fuel injectors, pumps, headers, and  intercoolers will cut life by 50% or more and if not properly installed and dyno tuned could be terminal.

My Stage 2 STi blew #4 a year after it was traded in for the TTRS. Excessive heat from the down pipe was the culprit.
it was me, but I will let it slide...[someone finally agreed with me, so I have to chest thump when I can  ;)]

yes taking a car past stage 1 basically means you are selling a project car at a greatly reduced price to a new owner [if you are lucky you can get higher if it is a fellow tuner from your forums for example], or you are going to be keeping it for some time.

and nlm, I am not sure how you can detect a tuned car that has been accessported and then returned to stock. If there is no hardware on the car, chances are it was a mild stage 1 tune, which is perfectly safe and doesnt push the turbo or the motor too hard [as long as it was cared for]. As Snow said, if there is hard stuff added on like intake/exhaust/injectors, then watch out because the boost is way up and the clutch/rods/valves/turbo will be worked pretty hard. Underhood heat is a real killer in turbo cars, and tuning only makes it worse. That is why anything over stage 1 should have an upgraded intercooler [depending on the stock one]. But still cooking the battery, frying coils, and other issues arise from excessive underhood heat.

Also avoid cars with atmospheric dump valves added on when they should not be there [like on cars with the Mitsu TD04 turbos - which are on just about any 2.0L turbo out there] as they were desigend to work with recirculating bypass valves, and to change that is toying with fate.

Offline Threader

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +13/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 STI, 2012 Caravan
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 10:43:43 am »
[quote author=ChaosphereIX link=topic=83248.msg877240#msg877240 date=1366294636
yes taking a car past stage 1 basically means you are selling a project car at a greatly reduced price to a new owner [if you are lucky you can get higher if it is a fellow tuner from your forums for example], or you are going to be keeping it for some time.
[/quote]

My STI has an ungodly amount of money invested in it and is currently making about 40% more power than stock. It was re-built and then subsequently slightly re-modfied by 2 highly reputable American and Canadian tuner companies (Rallispec and Lachute Performance). My new Rallispec Shortblock was built and spec to handle 600HP. All supporting modifications were added and over-overspecified by my request for plenty of headroom for safe power and future tweaks.

The only weak link might be the original OEM clutch but it is surprisingly holding up well to current power levels even with a few yearly visits to the drag strip.

In a nutshell this car would never sell for equal or less than a stock STI. If the noob doesn't understand what they are looking at they better just move on to the used car lot at their friendly neighborhood Subaru dealership.

I liked the article and it was generally well written.
2008 Subaru STI Performance Build Story

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,80495.0.html

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 10:52:50 am »
[quote author=ChaosphereIX link=topic=83248.msg877240#msg877240 date=1366294636

My STI has an ungodly amount of money invested in it and is currently making about 40% more power than stock. It was re-built and then subsequently slightly re-modfied by 2 highly reputable American and Canadian tuner companies (Rallispec and Lachute Performance). My new Rallispec Shortblock was built and spec to handle 600HP. All supporting modifications were added and over-overspecified by my request for plenty of headroom for safe power and future tweaks.

The only weak link might be the original OEM clutch but it is surprisingly holding up well to current power levels even with a few yearly visits to the drag strip.

In a nutshell this car would never sell for equal or less than a stock STI. If the noob doesn't understand what they are looking at they better just move on to the used car lot at their friendly neighborhood Subaru dealership.

I liked the article and it was generally well written.
[/quote]
of course it is worth a lot - to non-"noob" buyers. An ordinary buyer would not touch your car with a ten foot pole unless they were looking for a track car. To ordinary buyers, mods only kill resale value.

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 11:02:53 am »
Tuned turbo... When it comes time to liquidate your car...Either you sell at great lost or you sit on it until someone who appreciate it comes along (can be a long wait or never)... If you tune a turbo be prepared to keep it for life or until the engine blows coz you will never recoup the money you out into the car... Personally I would rather buy a stock unmodded well maintained turbo and mod it myself... So I know what goes into it...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 11:12:03 am »
Tuned turbo... When it comes time to liquidate your car...Either you sell at great lost or you sit on it until someone who appreciate it comes along (can be a long wait or never)... If you tune a turbo be prepared to keep it for life or until the engine blows coz you will never recoup the money you out into the car... Personally I would rather buy a stock unmodded well maintained turbo and mod it myself... So I know what goes into it...
or you can keep everything stealth and nobody is the wiser...but putting on a body kit, cone filter, fart cans, and a massive psssshhhhhh dump valve on kinda gives things away...

Nobody would guess me Saab is tuned, because externally I have left it stock, and the intake is efficient enough that it does not need a cone or CAI - just a performance filter. Looks and sounds stock, and feels stock until you bury the right foot...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 11:19:13 am »
All my modified WRX's and STi were sold modified and the buyers specifically requested the mods not be removed. There is a market out there for modified turbo cars if they are done properly. Unfortunately newer models have less potential as manufactures are cutting costs by reducing tolerances. Audi ECU's now need to be bench tuned by removing the chip, no more plug and play.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 11:31:27 am »
All my modified WRX's and STi were sold modified and the buyers specifically requested the mods not be removed. There is a market out there for modified turbo cars if they are done properly. Unfortunately newer models have less potential as manufactures are cutting costs by reducing tolerances. Audi ECU's now need to be bench tuned by removing the chip, no more plug and play.
when did that start? A friend's 10 S4 was tuned through the port easily...Sucks that they are doing that - Audis easily have some of the best Stage 1 gains out there...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 11:39:46 am »
Keep it well oiled and buy into  the COOL down process he says.(how many have the patience !!?? :-\ ) it's only 2 minutes..(.but but i could rescue a damsel or the World in that time ;) >:( )........ I.agree........now those STAGERS one two !! meh  #3 unbuckle yer wallet NO WAY HOSER 'eh are one prayer away from disaster if they KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO.. not all are as spendy as Rrocket and Snowballs with dyno etc to back up their shyte...........
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 01:06:00 pm »
Nice article, its almost like you're speaking from personal experience! :)

My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 01:09:03 pm »
My previous car was the 335i and it ran the water pump after you shut the car off to cool the turbos so you didn't have to keep running the car. 

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 01:20:57 pm »
My previous car was the 335i and it ran the water pump after you shut the car off to cool the turbos so you didn't have to keep running the car.
most modern turbos dont need that kind of turbo timer. Just dont kane it right before you turn it off, let it idle for like 30 seconds, and you are all good. This also prevents you being in boost when you turn it off - very bad. In the early 90s you would have to wait for quite a while, but that isnt an issue anymore really. Just take the drive up the lane easy, wait a few seconds while you check your hair and teeth, then you are all good.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 01:31:55 pm »
when did that start? A friend's 10 S4 was tuned through the port easily...Sucks that they are doing that - Audis easily have some of the best Stage 1 gains out there...

I found a place locally that will bench tune behind the firewall. There is always a solution  :)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 08:54:36 pm »
"Neglect and modifications can burn a turbocharger up faster than a Russian meteorite,"

...oooh, ouch...too soon?   :rofl:

I still would have a tough time buying a used turbo - just too much fun to drive like a granny.  My buddy blew the turbo in his Volvo S60 T5 and now the car's up for sale...so much for that theory.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 09:42:59 pm »
or you can keep everything stealth and nobody is the wiser...but putting on a body kit, cone filter, fart cans, and a massive psssshhhhhh dump valve on kinda gives things away...

Nobody would guess me Saab is tuned, because externally I have left it stock, and the intake is efficient enough that it does not need a cone or CAI - just a performance filter. Looks and sounds stock, and feels stock until you bury the right foot...

That's like my 300ZX.  Looks stock, but does this on Mohawk 94 (Green, Red was pre-cam gear tuning):

Best part is I built the engine to take larger turbo upgrades.  I could go Garrett GTX2867s and make 800+ on pump.  All I need is the turbos and larger injectors.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:46:31 pm by mixmanmash »