Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 1067131 times)

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #4400 on: August 22, 2016, 05:10:06 pm »
Took the bike in to the shop and they didnt have any concerns about it at all.  To be honest you really can't see it unless specifically looking for it.  While riding you cant see it at all.

I did check into my insurance but it doesn't cover damage.  At this point I'll likely stick with the frame I have baring an amazing deal on a new one.

On another topic,  does anyone have any recommendations for bike stands? Need to get one to avoid the next dent!

Well this completely sucks but ive damaged my cross bar between my seat and handle bars. Bike fell over and hit the edge of cement stairs.  The frame is alluminum. Given its not carbon do I have anything structurally  to worry about?

I was able to cover it up with a marker. At a quick glance only ill know its there. I'll probably take it to the shop tomorrow and have them look at it.  Hopefully I don't have to buy a new frame.  I normally take such good care of things.  Somehow in six months I've managed to bang the :censor: out of this Bike.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #4401 on: August 22, 2016, 05:17:30 pm »
On another topic,  does anyone have any recommendations for bike stands? Need to get one to avoid the next dent!

Oh, dear...  Haven't you heard that bike stands are for pussies?   :rofl2:

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: August 22, 2016, 05:20:47 pm »
I mean a repair stand not a kick stand. Something like

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0065PHDZE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Rm2UxbQ46FC3H

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #4403 on: August 22, 2016, 05:24:04 pm »

Oh!  But I guess I was right, huh?   ;D

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #4404 on: August 22, 2016, 06:49:14 pm »

Don't know that one but it looks good and you won't find anything else at that price.

And yes Brigitte you are right.  :rofl2:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 06:54:15 pm by Guy »

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: August 23, 2016, 01:08:33 am »
Well this completely sucks but ive damaged my cross bar between my seat and handle bars. Bike fell over and hit the edge of cement stairs.  The frame is alluminum. Given its not carbon do I have anything structurally  to worry about?

I was able to cover it up with a marker. At a quick glance only ill know its there. I'll probably take it to the shop tomorrow and have them look at it.  Hopefully I don't have to buy a new frame.  I normally take such good care of things.  Somehow in six months I've managed to bang the :censor: out of this Bike.

Just an idea, but maybe you could take it to a body shop to see if they can fix the dent? There are methods for fixing dents that don't require access to the inside, but rather the dent is pulled back out from the outside.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4406 on: August 23, 2016, 07:20:39 am »

Just an idea, but maybe you could take it to a body shop to see if they can fix the dent? There are methods for fixing dents that don't require access to the inside, but rather the dent is pulled back out from the outside.

Good idea but one better. There is a famous frame builder just a few miles away from him, True North Cycles. I believe they also do frame repairs.

If I was going to get a steel or TI bike, I'd probably have him build me one.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: August 23, 2016, 05:42:27 pm »
That  place looks interesting, I might give them a call and see what repairs  they can do.  The best way to fix it might be simply to put a sticker over it. I probably won't even do that because at this point I really can't even see the dent anymore.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: August 23, 2016, 06:04:22 pm »
That  place looks interesting, I might give them a call and see what repairs  they can do.  The best way to fix it might be simply to put a sticker over it. I probably won't even do that because at this point I really can't even see the dent anymore.

If you are into hand built bikes, follow TNC on Facebook as he posts pretty much everything he builds. I'd love one of his bikes.  Their shop in Fergus (The Bicycle Tailor) is also worth checking out if you are in the area.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: August 25, 2016, 04:02:07 pm »
A good race report about the 2016 Eager Beaver 100 which was held up in the Collingwood area.

http://www.gravelcyclist.com/race-reports/eager-beaver-100-race-report-by-damian-bradley/

I might have thing about doing this one next year.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #4410 on: August 27, 2016, 10:06:38 pm »
Did a pretty good DH day at the bike park. It's been 3 years since I picked up my YT Tues Pro in Europe and to this day, I still love riding it. Top spec components from BOS Suspension, DT Swiss, Sram X0 brakes and drivetrain, even the Renthal Fatbar put onto a pretty awesome frame, all for half an equivalent DH bike sold on this side of the Atlantic.

Plus, being a grey market bike, it still gets a lot of curious looks and questions  O0 . Was logstically complicated, but hey, life's complicated and well worth it. It's been back and forth across the Atlantic a few times and seen France and Germany. Still love it, see no need to replace or upgrade.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: August 29, 2016, 05:34:31 pm »
The KOM was a tie and I was close on 2/3 of the other ones. 

MUST GET STRONGER  >:(

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: September 02, 2016, 04:46:31 pm »
Yesterday I got stronger and scored two more KOMs. One of them I had to beat a guy I ride with in the club and I beat him by 5 seconds on a 1 km segment.

Today I see this.  >:(

Now I need to get even stronger or find a big truck to draft.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 04:49:38 pm by quadzilla »

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: September 03, 2016, 01:11:46 am »
^I looked up your KOMs on Strava and the list is 14 segments long?! Holy... :o That's a long list to defend :)

Btw, you don't ride with a power meter, do you? Just wondering.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 01:13:19 am by huota »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: September 03, 2016, 07:24:36 am »
^I looked up your KOMs on Strava and the list is 14 segments long?! Holy... :o That's a long list to defend :)

Btw, you don't ride with a power meter, do you? Just wondering.

No power meter for me. I debated it for a long time but I'm not going to race so it would only be for curiosity. So I decided that money saved would be better used for coffee and treats while out on rides.

Some of the KOMs are in areas where the even more serious cyclist don't ride so they were easier to get. The ones close to home that I train on all the time are done with big tail winds and/or club rides but isn't that how everybody does it. ;)

There are some great segments around me that I will never have a chance at due the racers in packs that go through them. For example, this guy rides here.

http://www.silberprocycling.com/team/ryan-roth/

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: September 05, 2016, 05:39:09 pm »
Went to a friends 70th birthday which was celebrated with a 70 km bike ride in the country. Around 25 people showed and the oldest was 75. Great time and very inspiring to keep the wheels turning.

* The ride was from km20 - km95 as I did a little extra before/after the ride.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #4416 on: September 05, 2016, 06:15:54 pm »
I did 68km yesterday to celebrate my 65th birthday.  After riding 40km with my seniors riding group I rode another 28km to get over 65km.  About 10km of that was through trails and gravel paths.
I love my gravel bike.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: September 05, 2016, 06:18:51 pm »
I did 68km yesterday to celebrate my 65th birthday.  After riding 40km with my seniors riding group I rode another 28km to get over 65km.  About 10km of that was through trails and gravel paths.
I love my gravel bike.

:thumbup:

What kind of gravel bike you do you have?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #4418 on: September 06, 2016, 12:08:33 pm »
Ooh this is a good idea... got 41 coming up soon!  :(

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: September 06, 2016, 01:04:18 pm »
Ooh this is a good idea... got 41 coming up soon!  :(

41 kms of mtn biking is hard though.

If it's warm enough this December I might plan on doing a gravel 50th.  Last year I rode 500 kms in December but who knows what this year will be like.