Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 2310512 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #1520 on: July 29, 2015, 09:02:17 pm »
It upsets me, too.  Good luck to that dentist, as his name is now plastered all over the internet.

He'll be fine.  He's likely a Republican in the USA.  They are bonkers for guns and hunting.  And their organizations have deep pockets.  Plus Americans have short memories.

Told you it was just a matter of time before the spin machine kicked itself into gear

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2015/07/29/we_cry_over_the_death_of_cecil_the_lion_but_shrug_off_planned_parenthood

Well, there is definitely lots of backlash happening as well. 

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/this-is-whats-happening-to-the-dentist-who-allegedly-killed?bffb&utm_term=4ldqpgp#.fwA5MRGPv

Oh for sure there is.  But I knew the spin machine would get going in no time.  The PH goes to court August 5th...so it won't be known until then if the hunter knowingly broke the law.  Wouldn't surprise me, since he's broken hunting laws before.  Douche.

BTW...Am I the only one who feels sorta bad for the people who work for the dentist?  The receptionists, assistants, etc who work in the dental office? I bet some get laid off and/or lose their job while this is all sorted out.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #1521 on: July 29, 2015, 09:48:08 pm »
It upsets me, too.  Good luck to that dentist, as his name is now plastered all over the internet.

He'll be fine.  He's likely a Republican in the USA.  They are bonkers for guns and hunting.  And their organizations have deep pockets.  Plus Americans have short memories.

Told you it was just a matter of time before the spin machine kicked itself into gear

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2015/07/29/we_cry_over_the_death_of_cecil_the_lion_but_shrug_off_planned_parenthood

Well, there is definitely lots of backlash happening as well. 

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/this-is-whats-happening-to-the-dentist-who-allegedly-killed?bffb&utm_term=4ldqpgp#.fwA5MRGPv

Oh for sure there is.  But I knew the spin machine would get going in no time.  The PH goes to court August 5th...so it won't be known until then if the hunter knowingly broke the law.  Wouldn't surprise me, since he's broken hunting laws before.  Douche.

BTW...Am I the only one who feels sorta bad for the people who work for the dentist?  The receptionists, assistants, etc who work in the dental office? I bet some get laid off and/or lose their job while this is all sorted out.

For sure, they are most likely getting threats and a good chance they'll lose their job as this guy's business will no doubt go under.   

Just watched this Jimmy Kimmel clip on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LzXpE1mjqA
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #1522 on: July 29, 2015, 10:04:17 pm »
I don't get it.

Lion got killed by a douchbag.

Hundreds, if not thousands of actual human beings die of hunger and curable diseases everyday in exactly the country where the infamous dentist went hunting, and world over.

Is lion really something to get that upset about?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: July 29, 2015, 10:28:06 pm »
I don't get it.

Hundreds, if not thousands of actual human beings die of hunger and curable diseases everyday in exactly the country where the infamous dentist went hunting, and world over.

Dude, don't ever go there.  You'll get crucified.  Here...watch me get crucified below:

Lots of people hate trophy hunting (me included).  I don't find it sporting, because most of these animals aren't terribly afraid of humans.  Especially ones like this lion that was used to seeing people daily and had lost much of his natural fear.  That being said...trophy hunters money outspends conservationists money by hundreds of millions in Africa and do more to support and sustain wildlife.  It also supports the local population with more jobs than conservation does.  This is a big deal in a country with ~80% unemployment.  And prevents poaching.  I think it's the very douchey way the animal was taken that is most sad....and the fact that he was a "favorite" of tourists.  All hunters shouldn't be lumped in with this douche, as he gives every hunter a black eye for the way he behaved.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: July 29, 2015, 10:36:42 pm »
I don't get it.

I'm kinda with you but my main issue is that its not that the guy killed A lion...but that they killed THIS specific lion (and because of not filling out the paperwork). EDIT: (meaning that people are upset over the killing of a specific lion rather than lions in general)

Because this one is somehow more important than all the other lions?

So if he filled out the paperwork and killed a "nobody" lion it would be fine?

That's not exactly what I would call egalitarian.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 10:38:32 pm by mmret »
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #1525 on: July 29, 2015, 10:37:14 pm »
I don't get it.

Dude, don't ever go there.  You'll get crucified.  Here...watch me get crucified below:

Lots of people hate trophy hunting (me included).  I don't find it sporting, because most of these animals aren't terribly afraid of humans.  Especially ones like this lion that was used to seeing people daily and had lost much of his natural fear.  That being said...trophy hunters money outspends conservationists money by hundreds of millions in Africa and do more to support and sustain wildlife.  It also supports the local population with more jobs than conservation does.  This is a big deal in a country with ~80% unemployment.  And prevents poaching.  I think it's the very douchey way the animal was taken that is most sad....and the fact that he was a "favorite" of tourists.  All hunters shouldn't be lumped in with this douche, as he gives every hunter a black eye for the way he behaved.

Yeah, I'm sure the $55k that this fvcktard paid to illegally bait the lion outside of the park went to a great and reputable cause.   ::)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: July 29, 2015, 10:44:02 pm »

Yeah, I'm sure the $55k that this fvcktard paid to illegally bait the lion outside of the park went to a great and reputable cause.   ::)

Yes, it does actually.  The licensing (which usually runs $25K for a lion) goes to their version of the Ministry of Natural Resources.  They are the one's who decide how many lions per year can be taken without damaging the population.   If not for the hunters, none of those tourists would be looking at lions in the first place.  Because lord knows they don't make a $25k donation to the Ministry every visit.   

And just to be clear.  The PH and his company did the baiting.  Not the hunter.  He did the shooting.  And it isn't clear if he knew that they were baiting animals from a nearby sanctuary.  We'll find out August 5th.  Remember...all of his licenses and doing a lion hunt is LEGAL.  They way the lion was taken may not have been.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #1527 on: July 29, 2015, 10:49:18 pm »
I think you're being just a wee bit naive, IMHO. 

At the end of the day, a person that kills any living thing just for funsies is showing some sociopathic behaviour.  This clown has also been previously charged with lying to the FBI and also sexual harassment.  A real model citizen. 

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: July 29, 2015, 11:00:31 pm »
ah beautiful Africa...first they sold their own, and now they decide which animals get to live or die! Beautiful...beautiful!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: July 29, 2015, 11:00:57 pm »

At the end of the day, a person that kills any living thing just for funsies is showing some sociopathic behaviour.  This clown has also been previously charged with lying to the FBI and also sexual harassment.  A real model citizen.

I am absolutely NOT being naive.  You have to pay their ministry for hunting licenses just like you do here...or anywhere else for that matter.  You just can't stroll in without the proper permits.  Well you can...but that's called poaching.  Now I don't doubt that there is some corruption in the Ministry and not every dime ends up where it's supposed to.  But by and large, the #1 (read that a few times) contributor to conservation of threatened animals is big game hunters.  There's a reason they call it "conservation program" instead if hunting.  Because people lose their mind.  I already mentioned the great success of the white rhino program.  Same deal with the black rhino.  The rhino population grows by about 250 per year where hunts are allowed.  And every year, they issue FIVE (just 5) hunt permits.  And some people pay $350,000 EACH for those permits.  The population continues to grow, $$ for conservation is made, and habitat is extended.  The information is out there.  Research it yourself.  Even the WWF supports conservation through some hunting programmes.

For the opposite effect, look to Kenya.  When hunting was banned, threatened species saw massive declines. 

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #1530 on: July 29, 2015, 11:09:41 pm »

I am absolutely NOT being naive.  You have to pay their ministry for hunting licenses just like you do here...or anywhere else for that matter.  You just can't stroll in without the proper permits.  Well you can...but that's called poaching.  Now I don't doubt that there is some corruption in the Ministry and not every dime ends up where it's supposed to.  But by and large, the #1 (read that a few times) contributor to conservation of threatened animals is big game hunters.  There's a reason they call it "conservation program" instead if hunting.  Because people lose their mind.  I already mentioned the great success of the white rhino program.  Same deal with the black rhino.  The rhino population grows by about 250 per year where hunts are allowed.  And every year, they issue FIVE (just 5) hunt permits.  And some people pay $350,000 EACH for those permits.  The population continues to grow, $$ for conservation is made, and habitat is extended.  The information is out there.  Research it yourself.  Even the WWF supports conservation through some hunting programmes.

For the opposite effect, look to Kenya.  When hunting was banned, threatened species saw massive declines.

We'll agree to disagree.  You can't convince me for one second that the people that accepted this guy's $55k are on the up and up and the money went to any type of reputable cause.  They baited the lion outside of the park, it was shot with a bow OUTSIDE the park, didn't actually kill it for another 40 hours where they skinned and beheaded it.  Oh, and they tried to destroy the gps device on the lion as well, although unsuccessfully.  I don't think our viewpoints will ever be the same on this subject.   ;)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: July 29, 2015, 11:25:43 pm »
You are talking about one specific case.

RR is talking about the general situation.

You realize you can both be right, right?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: July 30, 2015, 12:05:43 am »

We'll agree to disagree.  You can't convince me for one second that the people that accepted this guy's $55k are on the up and up and the money went to any type of reputable cause.  They baited the lion outside of the park, it was shot with a bow OUTSIDE the park, didn't actually kill it for another 40 hours where they skinned and beheaded it.  Oh, and they tried to destroy the gps device on the lion as well, although unsuccessfully.  I don't think our viewpoints will ever be the same on this subject.   ;)

Yes, we my never agree and I love that. We can have a good debate, share our ideas and thoughts and still be friends after the fact. Love it!

I'm not sure I made it clear, so I'll just add this last bit....

He has to buy a HUNTING LICENSE before any type of hunting can occur.  In ANY country.  This comes from a gov't agency (like when you buy your fishing license in NB).  Except in Africa, you also have to have an outfitter or they won't grant a license.  Mainly because they don't want you getting eaten or lost while you walk around by yourself in the bush.  So you have to be aligned with an outfitter to get the license.  This is separate from the outfitter costs and those are added onto the bill.  Every year, the outfitters apply TO THE GOVERNMENT to get the licenses.  Sometimes the licenses get issued direct and easy if some animals are overpopulating the area (gazelle, zebra, etc), for managed hunts (lions, elephants) and other times they are via lottery only (for a rhino for example).  Either way, permit comes from the GOVERNMENT agency.  In this case the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority grants the licenses for this area.  The rest of the ~$30K went to the outfitter, which is run by a PH (Professional Hunter) who is also licensed by the gov't.  So if you think the money isn't going to conservation, then you have a problem with the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority, right?

Now here's where it went off the track.  According to Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority (issuers of licenses), they originally said all licensing was in order.  What wasn't in order was the farmer on who's land they were hunting, a guy named Honest Trymore Ndlovu.  (Doesn't seem too honest, BTW).  He wasn't part of the game management area and therefore people couldn't legally hunt on his land.  So that means any hunting that occurs on his land even with LEGAL permits means the whole hunt is illegal.  Had he been properly licensed as part of the game management area, shooting the lion in the way the did would have been 100% legal.  Cowardly, but legal.

To sum up.  The PH was legally licensed (but a douche).  The hunter was legally licensed (but a douche).  They are licensed by Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority who issues hunting licenses and uses the proceeds for conservation efforts.  The farmer on who's land the lion was taken was NOT legal.  And is also a douche.  Did the hunter know this?  We don't know yet.  I'm guessing someone flips on someone (either Ndlovu or the PH) and blames it all on the rich American.  We will find out August 5 I think.

And yes mmret, my argument was in general.  But in this case, initially, the reports stated everything was legally licensed but the farmer guy.

And yes, I  don't think we'll ever agree about how much hunters do for conservation.

Article from today:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/zimbabwe/11771112/Trophy-hunting-can-be-a-lifeline-for-Africas-wildlife.html

Oh and here's a price list for license and trophies fees.  Basically, take the license fee an double it and that's what your trip will cost total:  http://www.africanskyhunting.co.za/pricelist.html
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:43:36 am by rrocket »

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #1533 on: July 30, 2015, 12:57:03 am »
August long weekend in 2013 was the official beginning of my and Steven's relationship...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: July 30, 2015, 01:44:55 am »
August long weekend in 2013 was the official beginning of my and Steven's relationship...

Oh...I thought it was longer than that.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #1535 on: July 30, 2015, 10:04:06 am »

That's what he said.  :run:
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #1536 on: July 30, 2015, 10:59:37 am »

That's what he said.  :run:

:rofl:

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: July 31, 2015, 05:12:49 pm »
Yesterday a co-worker told me about how the people (man, woman, 17 year old son) who rent the upper floor of the same house were 5 months behind in their rent ($8000).

Today he tells me that these people went to social services, got $5000 in assistance, and promptly went on a shopping spree. They were showing off all the great stuff they bought.

I hate deadbeats.  >:(
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #1538 on: August 01, 2015, 07:49:07 am »
Yesterday a co-worker told me about how the people (man, woman, 17 year old son) who rent the upper floor of the same house were 5 months behind in their rent ($8000).

Today he tells me that these people went to social services, got $5000 in assistance, and promptly went on a shopping spree. They were showing off all the great stuff they bought.

I hate deadbeats.  >:(

Dad rents a house and gets taken often by dead beat renters. I have gone to court with him numerous times to evict or get payment for past rent due. Judges treat landlords as if they were some bourgeoisie, but most are just regular guys who sacrificed and choose to invest in a rental property. I'v been asking him to sell the place for years. Tired of damage repairs and loss fees from scammers.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 09:46:27 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1539 on: August 01, 2015, 12:21:14 pm »
I hated being a landlord and I always had awesome tenants.  I'm going to sell my rental property when the current moves out.  Besides, I need the money to pay off the condo in BC.

I was involved in several social housing projects and have lots of experience in dealing with legal problems around occupancy.  The worst is squatters.  We had a family move out, and during the period of the property being empty some folks squatted.  OMG - IT WAS HORRIBLE.  Took months to get them out.  Unreal.