Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Dodge Charger R/T  (Read 11232 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Dodge Charger R/T
« on: February 13, 2012, 03:04:37 am »

Built in the classic muscle sedan tradition, the Charger R/T is a 'hoot to drive' with appropriately poor fuel consumption.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 06:52:33 am »
"Hoooeeee... is that a Hemi?!?!"

That advertizing campaign dragged any credibility a potential owner might have into the absolute gutter.  I couldn't even figure out whether Chrysler were kidding or not.

I don't blame anyone for wanting to take one of these out for a little fun but do the world a favour and just rent it for a weekend.  Surely, the thrill can't last longer than that.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 08:13:01 am »
Charger isn't a behemoth, it's a real thirsty dinosaur. And it doesn't matter if the autor likes or someone doesn't likes the rear lights - they are simply talking one anachronism. Only ol' school guys could like these vehicles (oh, I forgot the cops!). Besides, the American auto industry began sliding downwards exactly at the time of long lighting (do you remember Fords and GMs with front lights instead radiator grills)? Ugly!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 08:55:47 am »
Good review.  Not really my kinda ride.  I was surprised to read that even in this R/T, hemified and max-sportified version, there is want for more of an audible engine note.  I would think that those inclined to this type of machine would definitely be interested in hearing that hemi rumble and roar.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 09:26:13 am »
Good review.  Not really my kinda ride.  I was surprised to read that even in this R/T, hemified and max-sportified version, there is want for more of an audible engine note.  I would think that those inclined to this type of machine would definitely be interested in hearing that hemi rumble and roar.

Jaeger

Yeah, it is too quiet....then again...I drive a WRX with a Magnaflow.  The X3 I am in right now is louder.  I get a Chrysler 300 S tomorrow, not sure what engine it has.  I should look it up, but I bet it will be even quieter.

richink

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 09:54:25 am »
Chrysler has to do a little more than throw a revamped interior and a seemingly dinosaur V8 under the hood to blow up my kilt about one of these cars. At the insitence of several here I took a 2012 Charger with the Penta-stutter engine as a rental for 3 days in the fall. A marginal value at best. Rumbling v8 aside, there's a dozen other cars I'd be looking at for this price.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 01:51:45 pm »
Chrysler has to do a little more than throw a revamped interior and a seemingly dinosaur V8 under the hood to blow up my kilt about one of these cars. At the insitence of several here I took a 2012 Charger with the Penta-stutter engine as a rental for 3 days in the fall. A marginal value at best. Rumbling v8 aside, there's a dozen other cars I'd be looking at for this price.

What is wrong with the new interior?  I was impressed with the 2012 Charger I drove a few weeks ago.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 01:56:56 pm »
Reviews I read in C&D commented that the interior was substantially improved.

That is an understatement

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 02:18:11 pm »
I've always had a soft spot for the big Chryslers despite the somewhat rolly-polly handling and Tupperware interior. This revamp solves both of those issues, and the tested mileage betters my last tank with the Outback to boot.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 02:33:37 pm »
I think it's a fabulous car.  I'd swap my left nut, both big toes and a Nissan store even on a Chrysler/Dodge store.  Like a lot of these full sized units it's for Americans.  I drove the V6 version/5 speed out of Las vegas for 2 weeks and it was so sweet down in that environment.  Not one model in the entire Nissan/Toyota line up does the seat retract far enough.  Charger was excellent in that respect.

You can pull a brand new 2011 RT with Nav/roof/leather/etc. for $32K USD.  Canadian pricing is whack.

Mike:  what is your opinion on the shift-able 5 speed tranny?

And when you lining up a V6 Charger with the 8 speed?  Perhaps that's what will be in the 300C.

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 02:35:14 pm »
Whose great idea was it to test the RT Hemi model instead of the SXT equiped with AWD, 8 speed trans and 3.6 V6 ???

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 02:41:01 pm »
I think it's a fabulous car.  I'd swap my left nut, both big toes and a Nissan store even on a Chrysler/Dodge store.  Like a lot of these full sized units it's for Americans.  I drove the V6 version/5 speed out of Las vegas for 2 weeks and it was so sweet down in that environment.  Not one model in the entire Nissan/Toyota line up does the seat retract far enough.  Charger was excellent in that respect.

You can pull a brand new 2011 RT with Nav/roof/leather/etc. for $32K USD.  Canadian pricing is whack.

Mike:  what is your opinion on the shift-able 5 speed tranny?

And when you lining up a V6 Charger with the 8 speed?  Perhaps that's what will be in the 300C.

I found I rarely used the shift-able transmission.  It is no better than it was in previous version of the car and with this much power, I just let the car shift itself.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 02:41:26 pm »
Whose great idea was it to test the RT Hemi model instead of the SXT equiped with AWD, 8 speed trans and 3.6 V6 ???

I requested a Charger, this is what showed up.  I wasn't complaining  ;)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 02:46:15 pm »
Charger name but it does not look like a charger from the 70's
Change the name

richink

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 02:46:58 pm »

That is an understatement
Agreed - design wise. I still didn't find the back support in the driver's seat or the fit & finish on said interior to be worth the asking price. The rest of the car felt just a warmed over version of the same LX platform bucket.

The "base" Genesis sedan I had a week afterwards screamed value for $40k.

The generously equipped Taurus SEL I had 3 weeks after that was far more tolerable at it's $30k-ish price point.

Neither the Genesis nor the Taurus made my back sore. The Genesis was a downright jewel of a full size beast and sparked conversation where ever I went with it. The Taurus rolled over massive Montreal potholes like they weren't even there.

I can understand having one's judgement befuddled by the snort of a Yankee Doodle V8 powerplant, same thing happens to me every time I drive a Mustang. I tend to ignore the rattling plastic, puffed out center stack fittings, cheap steering wheel inlays, busted control switches, squeeling brakes, etc.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 02:52:17 pm »
I agree, the back support in the Charger does feel like a wooden board as I said in the article

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 02:53:27 pm »
This is an old-school car that will appeal to old-school drivers. While this is a powerful car it isn't what I would call 'sporty', not like a smaller Audi or Infiniti, and that is on purpose. Despite the powerhouse engine it's also not blisteringly quick, a Camry V6 is within 0.5 seconds to 60. As noted in the review, it is a dying breed, and if this is your cup of tea then I would suggest getting one - the next Charter R/T will likely have a Turbo 6...or a hybrid!!! NOOOOOO! lol.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 03:09:14 pm »
This car definetly needs some Flowmaster 40 series mufflers, then it will sound proper. I agree that it definetly shouldnt have been called a Charger, I think a big, fat car with a stonking V8 would be all kinds of fun, too bad they dont offer it with the V8 and a manual transmission, that would make it very interesting.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 03:12:11 pm »
I think a lot depends on how big/tall you are or aren't.  :)   Few cars are as roomy as the Charger in rear wheel drive.  As for back support; the driver's seat has lumbar, no, so if you noticed discomfort me thinks you have developing back problems.  I drive all sorts of sh*t boxes and never have "back discomfort"  One thing I noticed when I got into the car business is the same percentage of ppl who's primary concern is the seat.  "oh that car was terrible on my back".  "What happens if I buy the car and in a week my back starts acting up".  My conclusion after years of hearing this: it's not the seat.  Suck it up, just like I suck it up over being crammed to far forward  :)    

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 03:28:43 pm »

Well if you've ever been in an original Charget, that's not a real hard thing to do!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...