Author Topic: Why are wagons so unpopular in Canada?  (Read 19204 times)

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Toyota Corolla S, 2013 Honda Civic EX, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Chrysler Sebring, 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2009 MINI Cooper, 2016 VW Golf TSI Sportwagen
Why are wagons so unpopular in Canada?
« on: November 27, 2015, 04:38:38 pm »
After another frustrating visit to Canadian Tire where I couldn't fit my new purchase into my 2013 Civic sedan due to the ridiculously narrow bulkhead, I was left pondering why wagons are so unpopular in Canada and North America in general?  Coming from the UK, where we call them estate cars, they are really popular and most compact/mid-size cars (Focus/Fusion, Civic/Accord, even Hyundai/Kia) are available as wagons.  In fact when I last lived in the UK I had two wagons a Mercedes and an Impreza WRX Wagon.  I loved the fact that you could just fold down the seats and had the extra length to get most items of flatpack furniture, a washer or dryer and even a double mattress in there!

Of course, a compact or mid-size crossover/SUV is the answer but they give you extra height, which is less useful than extra length and what if you have a compact/mid-size budget like me?  Compacts are fairly affordable and popular here, so if you want compact running costs with a bit more space and utility, surely a compact wagon would be a good idea (as in Europe, the premium is usually only about $2000 over the equivalent sedan/hatchback).  If Ford still sold a Focus Wagon here I would buy one but as it is, I don't like the styling of the sedan and the hatchback's trunk is quite small.  I even happen to think that the wagon (even available in ST spec) is better-looking than the hatch or sedan.

I know the Golf is available as a Wagon but it is expensive, as are the other wagons available (Subaru Outback, Volvo V60, Mercedes E-Class, Audi A4 Allroad, BMW 3-Series etc), so the value isn't really there.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 04:40:14 pm by BritWRX »

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Why are wagons so unpopular in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 04:42:46 pm »
Canadians actually like wagons much more than Americans, but often the wagon model of  some cars don't make it to our shores and North American manufacturers don't make that many.   It's a conspiracy.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 04:46:28 pm »
It's because North Americans lived with these things for years and they have fallen out of fashion.

"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Toyota Corolla S, 2013 Honda Civic EX, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Chrysler Sebring, 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2009 MINI Cooper, 2016 VW Golf TSI Sportwagen
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 04:58:35 pm »
You make a good point and FCA certainly don't but just off the top of my head, cars that are available here that are available as a wagon in other markets:

Ford Focus/Fusion
Honda Civic/Accord
Kia Forte
Hyundai Elantra/Sonata
Mazda 6
Chevrolet Cruze
Buick Regal (Opel Insignia in Europe)
Audi A6
BMW 5-Series
Mercedes C-Class
VW Passat

I don't think having a wagon version of my vehicle would make it any less appealing, as the things I like about it would be the same (powertrain, driving position, comfort, low running costs), it just means that I could fit my new purchases in without having to drive 40km home to borrow my FIL's truck.  I don't own my own truck, as it's much more vehicle than I need 99% of the time.  I admit the European-market Civic Wagon isn't exactly a looker though!

I see the point about the old woody wagons but most of the latest wagons are pretty stylish in my opinion.

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 17FozXT, 18MiragePOS
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 05:06:16 pm »
It's because North Americans lived with these things for years and they have fallen out of fashion.

I have fond memories of a string of those that my family had while I was growing up (single digit age up to about 18) :D

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 05:17:08 pm »

I drive a wagon, it's just a little tall.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 05:17:21 pm »
I love wagons, the idea is awesome, lots of room, fun to drive....whats to hate?? Well, talking to my dad today, him and my mother are in their mid 60's, as to why they wanted the XC60 over the V60 or 70.... whatever the equivalent car wagon model. "Why would you get the wagon when this thing is available?? Higher up, more seats, more ground clearance, easier to get in and out of...." , there you go, from the mouths of consumers. I don't get it, I would rather a Legacy, or Nissan Stagea, or Galant VR4....fun, spacious, decent clearance and not a SUV wannabe.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 05:29:00 pm »
Canadians like wagons. But we don't get wagons because the Americans don't like wagons, and 98% of our auto market is dictated by the US auto market.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 05:31:27 pm »
Canadians actually like wagons much more than Americans, but often the wagon model of  some cars don't make it to our shores and North American manufacturers don't make that many.   It's a conspiracy.

Mfg's make more money on CUV/SUV sales than they could on wagons. Because in public's opinion here wagons should cost the same as their sedan versions, while CUV/SUVs are OK to be more $$ coz they are bigger, roomier and more winter driving capable. In most of Europe you have nowhere to park an SUV and since gas is twice more expensive, a small engined wagon becomes a smart choice.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 05:39:53 pm »
Why are wagons so unpopular in |Canada?...Cos they keep getting attacked by Indians :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 05:41:07 pm »
We have had 3 wagons, 3 minivans , minivans was easier to fit 4 kids

If you can not fit your shopping in your car get  it delivery  ;D

« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 07:59:38 pm by Airbalancer »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 07:27:01 pm »
I laughed at one ad that claimed that wagons have more cargo room than minivans. Don't get me wrong, wagons are fantastic for what they are, but they definitely don't have up to 4,000L in cargo capacity with all the rear seats down.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 10:34:19 pm »
Why are wagons so unpopular in |Canada?...Cos they keep getting attacked by Indians :P

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 06:59:36 am »
I still have a weak / sweet spot for wagon. Sold one lately, kept that one.

I presume the small CUV are the latest evolution of the traditional wagon...
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 10:18:20 am »
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

I presume the small CUV are the latest evolution of the traditional wagon...
Sorta.  If families go with just one vehicle, it tends to not be a sedan.  If there are two vehicles at someone's disposal, you more likely get one sedan and one CUV.

Lady No-san got a Forester as a "do it all" vehicle.  And indeed, it has done it all for us.  If I were to get a second car right meow, it would likely be a sedan.  Or a Crosstrek if they put a better engine in it.

People see the need for the first car to be utilitarian, and the other to be the one that is more svelte.  CUVs certainly are better than wagons in terms of offering AWD, ground clearance, and ride height (nice for ageing bodies).

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 01:49:13 pm »
Something that I always found funny was the USA got the Acura TSX wagon and we didn't.  Can someone explain this to me?

I get why we didn't get the Nissan Murano convertible thingy but any wagon sold in the USA should make it to our dealers.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Why are wagons so unpopular in Canada?
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 01:59:51 pm »
CUVs is where the market is headed...I'd fully expect wagons to be dead in a decade or so given the European market is also starting to make the move to CUVs

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20150709/ANE/150639995?template=mobile02&X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 03:15:28 pm »
CUVs is where the market is headed...I'd fully expect wagons to be dead in a decade or so given the European market is also starting to make the move to CUVs

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20150709/ANE/150639995?template=mobile02&X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ interesting article. Thiugh i wonder if this popularity in Europe of small cuv's isn't an anomaly, and as Europeans go up in size they wouldn't still  continue to favour something like a Fusion wagon, vs. a Ford Explorer or similar. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 02:44:29 pm »
News Flash: CUVs are wagons.

What defines a wagon vs a CUV, ride Height? CUVs are merely moving back to the "normal" ride height of the 20,30,40,50s. For day to day schlepping duties more ride height is better. Speaking as a former sport wagon owner (re-sprung lowered Passat and a Volvo V70R) the concept on paper is more appealing than in the real world. Bent over trying to latch in baby baskets and helping elderly Parents get in and out  is no fun. Add in reduced ground clearance due to winter and deteriorating roads and the decision is a no brainer. A Volvo XC70 is much more practical than a V70. End of story. It is a much easier proposition in a CUV with some height. The market has spoken.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 03:17:04 pm »
I think of my Highlander as a raised Camry wagon with AWD.  It's built on the Camry platform, uses the Camry V-6 driveline with the added AWD components.  So I have a wagon!!  Whoo-hooo!

In all seriousness, if I were Toyota I'd have done the EXACT same thing.  They created a "new" model using mostly existing parts, gave it a new name, and sold buckets of wagons to people that didn't want a wagon.  Brilliant.