Author Topic: Test Drive: 2010 Audi A3 TDI  (Read 15622 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2010 Audi A3 TDI
« on: June 21, 2010, 04:07:31 am »

Luxurious, practical, fun-to-drive, fuel-efficient and eco-friendly, the new diesel-powered Audi A3 TDI is in "a field of one at the moment," says reviewer Gerry Frechette.  But he wishes it was available with Audi's Quattro all-wheel drive system.

Read More...

John MacDonald

Re: Test Drive: 2010 Audi A3 TDI
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 07:05:43 am »
This is a very nice vehicle but I have to say I don't really see a point to it.  The VW Golf is cheaper and every bit the same vehicle.  I think Audi should have made it a Quattro with the TDI and I'd say it would be a much better package.  For my money I would just buy the VW Golf TDI and spend the left over money on extended warranty, winter rims/tires, and a gas (diesel) card.

Jay C

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 07:14:13 am »
How can any company in this day and age make rear airbags an option?  If a sub 20k car can have advanced safety features standard than Audi should be ashamed they make you check an option box to save your kids lives in a side collision.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 08:48:49 am »
This is a very nice vehicle but I have to say I don't really see a point to it.  The VW Golf is cheaper and every bit the same vehicle.  I think Audi should have made it a Quattro with the TDI and I'd say it would be a much better package.  For my money I would just buy the VW Golf TDI and spend the left over money on extended warranty, winter rims/tires, and a gas (diesel) card.

I agree. An Audi without Quattro just doesn't make sense.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 08:58:08 am »
43 500 for an A3 with no Quattro? Yikes

You would need to drive a zillion miles to have the fuel savings make up for the diesel option. Not to mention the A3 is on the MKV platform and the Golf is now on the MKVI.

I guess this car kills any chance of a VW GTD as it would likley kill most A3 TD sales

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 09:01:36 am »

I agree. An Audi without Quattro just doesn't make sense.

I must also agree with the boys .....If you are going high end brand, like Audi here, put in all your toys that made you stand out from the crowd......it's spelled quattro.    :iagree:

Have Car......Will Travel

Offline ax89

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 09:05:55 am »
Quote from article: "we can talk about why a fully-equipped Audi A3 TDI might be worth nearly twice as much as a VW Golf with the same engine"

I didn't see a compelling argument justifying the price premium for the Audi over the VW...

aknutson

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 09:20:54 am »
Quote from article: "we can talk about why a fully-equipped Audi A3 TDI might be worth nearly twice as much as a VW Golf with the same engine"
I didn't see a compelling argument justifying the price premium for the Audi over the VW...

I was going to post something along these lines - while the Audi A3 is arguably a very flexible, high quality and efficient vehicle (all good), I actually prefer the styling both inside and out of the much cheaper VW counterpart. Maybe it all comes down to dealer service? I don't know, I've never bought an Audi  :)

This seems to be a big seller for them though, like a lot of 'affordable' premium luxury brands. People stop looking at content and start looking at logos, and perhaps that is enough to convince many shoppers to lay down the premium cash for this type of vehicle. I've wondered why someone would spend $35K on an Acura CSX when it is basically a Honda Civic with a funny beek, but from my understanding they sell quite well. It's a great car, but in my opinion so is the humbler vehicle it's based on...

mjordan76

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 09:25:32 am »
I would have considered this if it had a regular manual shift. Maybe this S thing is just as good but I prefer the control of the clutch especially in the snow.

chum

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 09:34:54 am »
That's what I thought, until I went and to sit in the A3.  Two whole different car, I was set on getting the new MKVI Golf, but after sitting in the A3 it was all over.  It's just feels different, the interior and I like the style of the A3 more.  So what I did was waite until there was a used one, to my luck, yes a fully loaded 2010 A3 TDI was for sale, the only thing that was missing from the car was the Skyroof which I didn't want anyways (more head room).  Got the car for a very very great deal.  Only 3 months old, with some mileage on it, for the price of a fully load Golf TDI, I'M SOLD!!! ;D

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 09:38:57 am »
How can any company in this day and age make rear airbags an option?  If a sub 20k car can have advanced safety features standard than Audi should be ashamed they make you check an option box to save your kids lives in a side collision.

They are rear side torso air bags, which the great majority of cars don't have, and are not available as an option. The car has rear side curtain (head) air bags standard, like most others.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

aknutson

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 10:28:25 am »
That's what I thought, until I went and to sit in the A3.  Two whole different car, I was set on getting the new MKVI Golf, but after sitting in the A3 it was all over.  It's just feels different, the interior and I like the style of the A3 more.  So what I did was waite until there was a used one, to my luck, yes a fully loaded 2010 A3 TDI was for sale, the only thing that was missing from the car was the Skyroof which I didn't want anyways (more head room).  Got the car for a very very great deal.  Only 3 months old, with some mileage on it, for the price of a fully load Golf TDI, I'M SOLD!!! ;D

Sounds like a good deal on a good car - should be fun!

Offline Jimmy Skum

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 10:48:04 am »
My wife is on her second A3, gas 2.0T. She loved the first one so much that she insisted on a second one, wouldn't consider anything else. Very few issues with the first one in spite of what everyone says about VW/Audi reliability. With front wheel drive and winter tires you really don't need Quattro.

This one is a premium with the open sky system which does cut the headroom a bit but even with my long trunk I have no problem sitting in the back seat. If you were over 6' then I could see an issue. Only thing I couldn't convince her to do was put the Stasis turbocharger on it.

Offline Threader

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +13/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 STI, 2012 Caravan
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 03:32:24 pm »
Quote "43 500 for an A3 with no Quattro?"

I am wondering though if someone has the money to spend $43 500 for a vehicle doesn't this simply negate any possible rationale for fuel savings? I am sure that anyone even considering a purchase of this is a badge snob and has DEFINITELY NEVER driven AWD automobile in a Canadian winter. If they did they would never buy this poor mans Audi under the pretense of I'm well off but environmentally green.  :P
2008 Subaru STI Performance Build Story

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,80495.0.html

aknutson

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 04:50:11 pm »
Quote "43 500 for an A3 with no Quattro?"

I am wondering though if someone has the money to spend $43 500 for a vehicle doesn't this simply negate any possible rationale for fuel savings? I am sure that anyone even considering a purchase of this is a badge snob and has DEFINITELY NEVER driven AWD automobile in a Canadian winter. If they did they would never buy this poor mans Audi under the pretense of I'm well off but environmentally green.  :P

Consumers of premium luxury 'efficiency' cars are doing it because of personal values, not to save money on fuel. The trend towards more frugal luxury vehicles is becoming stronger, driven by segment leaders like Mercedes-Benz (S400 Hybrid), Lexus (LS460H) and BMW (ActiveHybrid 7, diesel 3, 5, X5 models). The CAFE regulations are also forcing a lot of luxury makers to re-evaluate their lineups and the fuel economy associated with those vehicles.

*** in addition, super-efficient cars like the A3 TDI allow Audi to (thankfully) keep making boats like the A8 and fit them with twin-turbo V8's, V10's or V12's.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:52:36 pm by aknutson »

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 05:00:10 pm »
I like the A3 a lot (diesel or otherwise), but the lack of a manual + quattro option, kills it for me.

I'm stuck with a really expensive slushbox/quattro or a manual/FWD...at which point, I would certainly buy a GTI instead.

Prior to this year, I would have given an extra point to the Audi for style and interior....but the MkVI GTI addresses those needs nicely.

Offline Mozeby

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Chevy Cruze, 2013 Dodge Journey, 1968 Dodge Charger R/T
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 05:34:39 pm »
I think most people out there must be thinking the same most of us here do.  That's why an A3 is a rare sight. So too the Acura CSX somebody mentioned.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 07:54:48 pm »

Prior to this year, I would have given an extra point to the Audi for style and interior....but the MkVI GTI addresses those needs nicely.

Although I also like the A3 a lot (my neighbour has one), having seen this year's GTI in person, I concur.  Interior on the GTI looks great.   

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 12:30:14 am »
When is the next generation coming?
2 years after the Golf MKVI?
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 12:38:37 am »
43 500 for an A3 with no Quattro? Yikes

You would need to drive a zillion miles to have the fuel savings make up for the diesel option. Not to mention the A3 is on the MKV platform and the Golf is now on the MKVI.

I guess this car kills any chance of a VW GTD as it would likley kill most A3 TD sales

:iagree:
The GTD (170HP and 258 lb-ft!) will definately outsell the A3 TDI in the same way the GTI outsells the A3 2.0T.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswagen-gtd.html