Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara  (Read 22502 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
« on: January 27, 2015, 06:30:54 am »

Right soldier, wrong boots.
Read More...

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 07:17:52 am »
At the end of the week, fuel mileage rated a fairly unimpressive 14.5 L/100 km, thanks perhaps to the cold, damp weather, but still scoring between the official 15 L/100 km city and 11.4 L/100 km highway. Besides, what else did you expect when you signed up?

I actually think 14.5 L/100 Km is really not that bad for such a specialized vehicle. Our two V6 cars are doing worse than that... (considerably worse in winter city driving).

I wonder what the new model design will bring: high strength steel thorough for the ladder frame,  aluminum body, 8-speed auto? Wrangler design changes happens about every 10 years so Jeep has to plan this one quite a bit. Will the folding windshield finally abandoned? (lots of compromises are required to keep that feature but once it is gone there will be no turning back...)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 08:16:34 am »
Nice review.  It was entertaining, considering there wasn't much you could cover that hasn't already been covered in the 8 years since the JK was first released (eight years, how's that for generation longevity?)

I would agree with you in saying that the tires represent the biggest compromise on this vehicle.  Those Duelers are really less of an A/T tire and more of a street-biased tire, which considering that is where 90% of owners would take their Sahara, is just fine.  A nice set of BF Goodrich All Terrains, or General Grabber AT/2's would have sorted out your off-road traction problem nicely without severely compromising on-road manners.  It would likely be the first (and possibly only) modification I would make to this JEEP.  I personally wouldn't bother with Mud Terrains as the compromise on the street is too much to handle most of the time (not to mention their performance on hardpacked snow is abysmal).

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 08:20:09 am »
At the end of the week, fuel mileage rated a fairly unimpressive 14.5 L/100 km, thanks perhaps to the cold, damp weather, but still scoring between the official 15 L/100 km city and 11.4 L/100 km highway. Besides, what else did you expect when you signed up?

I actually think 14.5 L/100 Km is really not that bad for such a specialized vehicle. Our two V6 cars are doing worse than that... (considerably worse in winter city driving).

I was getting 12-13 L/100 on a combined commuter loop once it was broken in...it's now about 14.5 L/100 since I put the Gobi roof rack on, which is expecially noticable at 120 kph 'cause the ECO light isn't on as often can you have to keep into it with the extra wind resistance.

Fortune favours the bold!

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 08:24:45 am »
Nice review.  It was entertaining, considering there wasn't much you could cover that hasn't already been covered in the 8 years since the JK was first released (eight years, how's that for generation longevity?)

I would agree with you in saying that the tires represent the biggest compromise on this vehicle.  Those Duelers are really less of an A/T tire and more of a street-biased tire, which considering that is where 90% of owners would take their Sahara, is just fine.  A nice set of BF Goodrich All Terrains, or General Grabber AT/2's would have sorted out your off-road traction problem nicely without severely compromising on-road manners.  It would likely be the first (and possibly only) modification I would make to this JEEP.  I personally wouldn't bother with Mud Terrains as the compromise on the street is too much to handle most of the time (not to mention their performance on hardpacked snow is abysmal).

I was looking on Kijiji.ca for new rims (every year I try to personalize my Wrangler a little more) and let me tell you, the stock rubber isn't great for off roading but people who buy a Sahara then sell all 5 wheels - rims ands tires - to upgrade their 'boots' makes for either free rims OR free tires, depending on what you prefer for the $1,000 they ask.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 09:09:48 am »
I'll always have a soft spot for the wrangler, having owned a few.  But like others, the price and size of them these days makes me gag.  I really hope they downsize and lose weight in the next generation.

It's frustrating that even just to get into a 2-door with a dual top requires a 30k+Tax outlay...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:12:20 am by WRX_Pilot »

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 09:29:18 am »
Regarding the price, it says $800 for the hardtop but it's actually standard on the Sahara. The $800 is to get the body color hardtop.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 09:34:11 am »
Bossman has a 911 as his summer toy (with PDK) and last week picked up this exact Jeep, albeit with the MT to make it his winter toy. He traded in his 2012 for a '15.

The last thing on his mind was purchase price, nor was he concerned about fuel economy. It becomes his daily driver when he takes the kids to hockey, etc, and he loves it. The third car is a Yukon Denali, btw.

To go from a Porsche to a Wrangler with 4 doors is testament that this thing is still fun to drive in its own right - but you hit it right on, Brendan: it's a beater. Jeeps are designed for nothing else than to be enjoyed. For that, I forgive all shortcomings. A Jeep is a toy and a wonderful one at that

I do fully agree re: the tires - in Mexico, with a light rain (yes, oils) on a concrete hwy, everyone was spinning out when taking a wide U-turn at 10km/h (in RWD). Maybe good for sand? Not great for the road - just goes to show that buying an off-roader isn't necessarily good for on-road.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 09:35:55 am »
Bossman has a 911 as his summer toy (with PDK) and last week picked up this exact Jeep, albeit with the MT to make it his winter toy. He traded in his 2012 for a '15.

The last thing on his mind was purchase price, nor was he concerned about fuel economy. It becomes his daily driver when he takes the kids to hockey, etc, and he loves it. The third car is a Yukon Denali, btw.

To go from a Porsche to a Wrangler with 4 doors is testament that this thing is still fun to drive in its own right - but you hit it right on, Brendan: it's a beater. Jeeps are designed for nothing else than to be enjoyed. For that, I forgive all shortcomings. A Jeep is a toy and a wonderful one at that

I do fully agree re: the tires - in Mexico, with a light rain (yes, oils) on a concrete hwy, everyone was spinning out when taking a wide U-turn at 10km/h (in RWD). Maybe good for sand? Not great for the road - just goes to show that buying an off-roader isn't necessarily good for on-road.

Is this the bossman who just bought the Tesla?

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 09:47:02 am »
The gas mileage sounds about right, I'm currently averaging that with mixed driving, winter gas and my Thule roof box on top.  On the hwy I am getting low 12's in that configuration.  Also, I switched over to Michelin Xi2's for the winter & I swear when I first put them on I was getting better gas mileage than with the stock Bridgestone's.  I know the Michelin's are a "Green" winter tire, but I didn't think their rolling resistance would be THAT much better.  Also, I've just turned 11,000kms on the clock, so it's finally breaking in a bit & loosening up.

Overall it's a decent ride for what it is, smooth enough, responsive enough & tough enough.  It doesn't pretend to be a family sedan, or sports car, it's a full framed truck based vehicle & that's what it drives like, so not sure why people would expect anything else.  It drives MUCH better than my 1998 Jeep Cherokee did (though I did love that old AMC derived 4.0L inline 6) and it reminds me a lot of my 2001 Dodge Dakota, all were manual's, as is my Wrangler.  And the one impressive thing so far during this freezing Ottawa winter we've been having is how quick the engine comes up to operating temp & starts heating up the cabin extremely quickly, no complaints there!
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 10:37:20 am »
great review and as always awesome pictures!

I've always like the Wrangler as well, especially in Tooscoops' colour.
however, I'd be wasting it's capabilities and it just isn't the right fit for me.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 11:27:02 am »
Great review and pics!! I, for one, would never buy a Sahara, the painted flares will not stand up well to being bashed off of trees and Im sure the navigation would not enjoy being left out in the rain with the top off. I get why this exists, there are a lot of "cool" soccer moms around town that use these to take their offspring to school and such so they don't need lockers, swaybar disconnects and a 4:1 crawl ratio. To me though, the color matched tops and fenders ruin the lines and overall look of the Jeep. Make mine a Willis  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 11:40:14 am »
Great review and pics!! I, for one, would never buy a Sahara, the painted flares will not stand up well to being bashed off of trees and Im sure the navigation would not enjoy being left out in the rain with the top off. I get why this exists, there are a lot of "cool" soccer moms around town that use these to take their offspring to school and such so they don't need lockers, swaybar disconnects and a 4:1 crawl ratio. To me though, the color matched tops and fenders ruin the lines and overall look of the Jeep. Make mine a Willis  ;D

Sahara wouldn't be my pick either and I love the contrasting black fenders and roof but sometimes I see a Sahara like this all-red one and think damn, that's a good looking Jeep.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 11:41:45 am »

Sahara wouldn't be my pick either and I love the contrasting black fenders and roof but sometimes I see a Sahara like this all-red one and think damn, that's a good looking Jeep.

I have yet to see a combo that works for me.....and I really dig some of the new Wrangler colors.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 12:04:45 pm »

I have yet to see a combo that works for me.....and I really dig some of the new Wrangler colors.

Yeah, I'm loving the new Sunset Orange

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 12:11:29 pm »

Yeah, I'm loving the new Sunset Orange

I really like that combo....a guy in our club had a stone white Wrangler and he rockerguarded his grille, looked awesome.

Online Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 12:48:37 pm »
If that test-drive was set in Quebec, the Wrangler would have been wearing mandatory snow shoes, the writer would have dry socks in Sorels, but the great pictures would be ruined by the background. We have bumps, not mountains.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 02:04:50 pm »
interesting timing...was playing around on the Jeep website on the weekend and really like their new colour palette...my favourite looking one was the Sahara in Copper Brown Pearl...one sweet looking package.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 11:45:17 pm »
I'll take mine in Hydro Blue Pearl or Tank.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 11:54:40 pm »
Around here, this is a chick car.  I see nothing but women driving these...apart from one of IQ's guy friends.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...