Author Topic: Acura TSX vs VW Jetta GLI review.  (Read 37441 times)

bassix

Re: Acura TSX vs VW Jetta GLI review.
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2005, 12:50:56 am »
Onramps are pretty short in distance, what's the big deal if you have to slow up for 3 seconds? Good grief, man.  ???
I wish it was 3 seconds! Most 407 onramps feel like around 2 kms!! :)
I don't want to cause a controversy... but another reason is for safe merge speeds... not all cars can accelerate from 60 to 120 in 2 seconds... it can be more dangerous to merge into rush hour traffic at 40 clicks slower.

bassix

« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2005, 12:54:24 am »
Too funny.   :rofl: 

Some people......
I agree :)

mdxtasy

« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2005, 12:59:16 am »
No, I just want to enjoy driving! I think this is what vehicles such as the TSX and GLI are designed for. :)
Somebody else back me up here!!

I am as big a car enthusiast as the next guy...but to say that you are being held up by SUV's when travelling down an on-ramp?  Come on.  Let me guess, you're one of 'those' guys who tails me in my MDX as I crawl around the on-ramp (as I fear my vehicle is going to tip with the slightest hint of breeze) and once you have a chance, you cut three lanes into the fast lane (the definition of merge for 'those' drivers) and floor it?  Think I'm in your way because I take the corner at reasonable speeds?  I drive quicker in my BMW, but you know what....if I'm stuck behind some 'unstable SUV' around a corner....I wait.  NO big deal. 

In regards to the earlier post.....

If you're able to roll over SUVs with a "normal driver input" ... maybe your definition of normal is not legal.
Actually I was just thinking of the times in my life when I've had to take evasive actions to avoid serious injury on the road. Every time survived without a scratch, but if I'd had to do that in a few SUVs on the market, would be a very different story.

Let me guess...these evasive actions occurred while driving down on-ramps?   :-X

Your stereotypes of SUV's are getting you nowhere.  While some SUV's handle very well (I'm sure a Porsche Cayenne or an Infiniti FX or BMW X5/X3 would give a Jetta GLI or TSX a handful around a racetrack or any corner) and some not so much....the fact remains that you can't go tipping these things like you go tipping cows at night. 

bassix

« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2005, 06:10:12 am »
Let me guess, you're one of 'those' guys who tails me in my MDX as I crawl around the on-ramp (as I fear my vehicle is going to tip with the slightest hint of breeze) and once you have a chance, you cut three lanes into the fast lane (the definition of merge for 'those' drivers) and floor it?
Not at all... I'm the guy that gets stuck(blocked out) of merging after you merge because I don't own a car that allows me to "floor it" and cut across three lanes (which I wouldn't do anyway). I do not believe in EVER endangering someone else. I only drive within my and my car's limits and WELL under those limits when around any other drivers. How fast do you think a 90hp car is? :)
I'm tired of people assuming that anyone that knows how to drive is labelled as dangerous. I'm the also the guy who always signals and gives ample notice to other drivers of my intentions (lane changes, braking).
I actually wish car makers did not make any vehicles over 200hp.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2005, 06:29:55 am »
I'd certainly consider a GLI DSG niceley finished interior good power I think its a nice competitor for a volvo s 40 T5.

I'd think about LEASING one.

But if I had to BY a vehicle it would be the TSX. Until vw can show proof that their cars in NA can be reasonably reliable no way would I want to be on the hook for whatever deffects pop up with the 2.0 Di engine or that wonderful but complex DSG .

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2005, 07:04:18 am »
Let me guess, you're one of 'those' guys who tails me in my MDX as I crawl around the on-ramp (as I fear my vehicle is going to tip with the slightest hint of breeze) and once you have a chance, you cut three lanes into the fast lane (the definition of merge for 'those' drivers) and floor it?
Not at all... I'm the guy that gets stuck(blocked out) of merging after you merge because I don't own a car that allows me to "floor it" and cut across three lanes (which I wouldn't do anyway). I do not believe in EVER endangering someone else. I only drive within my and my car's limits and WELL under those limits when around any other drivers. How fast do you think a 90hp car is? :)
I'm tired of people assuming that anyone that knows how to drive is labelled as dangerous. I'm the also the guy who always signals and gives ample notice to other drivers of my intentions (lane changes, braking).
I actually wish car makers did not make any vehicles over 200hp.

So you are the one who is always tailed by SUVs...  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

bassix

« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2005, 08:24:43 am »
So you are the one who is always tailed by SUVs.
Yes. :(
But not on onramps. :)

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2005, 09:26:34 am »
I'd certainly consider a GLI DSG niceley finished interior good power I think its a nice competitor for a volvo s 40 T5.

But if I had to BY a vehicle it would be the TSX. Until vw can show proof that their cars in NA can be reasonably reliable no way would I want to be on the hook for whatever deffects pop up with the 2.0 Di engine or that wonderful but complex DSG .

Good point... Any Acura will hold it's value much more, compared to a VW...

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2005, 10:01:44 am »
"I actually wish car makers did not make any vehicles over 200hp."

That on this site, my friend, is heresy...!!!  :o
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

bassix

« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2005, 10:37:16 am »

Geez, you're right! Let me qualify that by saying I *LOVE* lots of HP on a racetrack, just don't see the requirement for it in a street passenger vehicle.
I think a lot of enjoyment can be had in a Mini Cooper S or new Miata... or many other cars under 200hp.
And to fit perfectly with *this* thread, the TSX and GLI are 200hp! :) :)

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2005, 10:51:39 am »

Good point... Any Acura will hold it's value much more, compared to a VW...

Well I don't know about "much more". VWs tend to keep their values pretty well too, except maybe the Jetta/Golf with the base 2.0L engine. But VWs with the other engines tend to keep their values very well, maybe not as much as an Acura, but pretty close IMO.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2005, 11:35:03 am »
"I actually wish car makers did not make any vehicles over 200hp."    :o  :o  :o ::) :think: :stfu:

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2005, 11:47:29 am »

Geez, you're right! Let me qualify that by saying I *LOVE* lots of HP on a racetrack, just don't see the requirement for it in a street passenger vehicle.
I think a lot of enjoyment can be had in a Mini Cooper S or new Miata... or many other cars under 200hp.
And to fit perfectly with *this* thread, the TSX and GLI are 200hp! :) :)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I need my 340hp engine everyday  :skid: :skid: :skid:

bassix

« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2005, 11:54:17 am »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I need my 340hp engine everyday
LOL

Well as long as you leave some gas for the rest of us! :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 01:48:46 pm by bassix »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2005, 11:55:33 am »
I'm with BASS...he's hooked me on the LONG run-ins to the 400's & Interstates....I could NOT believe the number or doofus ON RUMPERS!!!!on my recent 10,000K trip thru US and Canada........start at 50KPH and accelerate ta 80kph in half a K and then BRAKE as they HIT (or barely miss) the 120KPH HI-WAY(YES HI- SPEED WAY FOLKS!!!) cos they are stunned by the VELOCITY and scared SHIPLESS...!!!!.
                      Must drive the TRuckers zooming thru in the "SLOW" lanes BONKERS  too......folks there are NO SLOW LANES on BIG HI_WAYS stay onna back roads if ya can't merge with the FLOW....go Merd(g)e  inna Hortons and order a triple CAFFEINATED BEVERAGE and PRESS THE DAMN PEDAL ON THE RIGHT of the FLOOR TO THE FLOOR....!!!!! >:(
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2005, 05:34:31 pm »
"I'm tired of people assuming that anyone that knows how to drive is labelled as dangerous."

Uh uh!  :rofl2:  Do you have certifications?  ;D
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline onearmed

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2005, 10:35:05 pm »
Yes I am the one that cuts 3 lanes to the fast lane.  I have no regrets, can't wait to do it tomorrow morning ;)

bassix

« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2005, 09:06:07 am »
"I'm tired of people assuming that anyone that knows how to drive is labelled as dangerous."

Uh uh!  Do you have certifications?
Do you mean from a driving school? I did attend and receive a certificate for 3 full days of "Performance Driving" at Shannonville. It was light rain all three days as well.
Unfortunately for me (and everyone else that has the motivation and conscience to attend advanced driving schools) the insurance industry does not recognize the ability for accident avoidance, skid control, etc. as something that makes a better driver and hence, should pay lower rates. :(
As someone's sig says "I do not apologize for being rich", I'll pick "I do not apologize for being an above average driver." :)
Cheers!

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2005, 09:31:08 am »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I need my 340hp engine everyday  :skid: :skid: :skid:

Well of course you do... with the weight of that big-ass SUV, I believe it!  Cripes, the Magnum rental I've got can barely get out of its own way with anything less than that 340 (overstated?) hp Herpe... uhhh, I mean Hemi. 
 ;D
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

avtoller

« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2005, 07:29:29 pm »
5 from me Kevlar- oh wait, we don't do that anymore. Guess I'll just have to say  :iagree:  ;D