Author Topic: Booze  (Read 232894 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Booze
« Reply #420 on: June 15, 2016, 08:32:39 am »
^ Will hit the biggest LCBO in Burlington today to see if's on sale their too!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #421 on: June 15, 2016, 02:40:13 pm »
This should probably be under the "Things that make me happy" thread.

Went the LCBO, they did not have any, so they phone the Peterborough store they had some  but not on sale
Did you get last week ?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 03:04:17 pm by Airbalancer »

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #422 on: June 15, 2016, 02:48:40 pm »
FFS, if I ever saw Zacapa 23 yr on sale like that I'd buy the whole damn shelf!!

I'll have to check the SK liquor stores, maybe there's an equivalent promo on...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #423 on: June 15, 2016, 03:21:40 pm »
This should probably be under the "Things that make me happy" thread.

Went the LCBO, they did not have any, so they phone the Peterborough store they had some  but not on sale
Did you get last week ?

Got it yesterday, I think they were de-listing it at that store.   I re-thought my decision to only buy one and went back for the other, but another guy had already found it.   I did manage to wrestle a bottle of special Glenfiddich Straight Malt in a tin from him, it was also $20 off.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #424 on: July 14, 2016, 08:24:13 am »
Thread revival.

So on the honeymoon, we were well-advised that boxer in French Polynesia was insanely expensive ($19USD minimum), and we could bring in 2L per person duty free. In LAX, I bought Shannon a bottle of coconut Malibu (juice there is about $6 a carton) and I looked at the whiskys.  Even without the exchange, LAX duty free is faking expensive. Her bottle of Malibu was $22USD, and it's $21.95 at LCBO.  Imagine the price is blue label (I figured I'd spoil myself until I saw it at $225 USD a bottle).  I opted to just go cheap and check out the duty free in the Tahiti airport so I picked up a bottle of jack Daniels honey (I LOVE Forty Creek honey straight or on ice spheres).  Duty free effed up and gave me two bottles despite me only paying for one ($33).  Woo hoo!

After drinking two bottles of the stuff, I read bottle and it said that JD honey is not considered whisky, but a honey liqueur. It's really not great... But I'm guessing you'll all thinking "I could have told you that).  Lesson learned, but still a great honeymoon!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #425 on: July 14, 2016, 08:29:36 am »
I'm not a fan of Johnnie Walker any colour TBH, it's just a blend with good marketing, overpriced and overhyped IMHO.  And most stuff over ice is gonna taste bad, I'm old school, a dash of mineral water should do the trick.

When I go to the UK this Summer I'm going to try and find a couple of good bottles to bring back, fingers crossed.

P.S. I love Malibu and coke!  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #426 on: July 14, 2016, 05:38:05 pm »
I'm not a fan of Johnnie Walker any colour TBH, it's just a blend with good marketing, overpriced and overhyped IMHO.  And most stuff over ice is gonna taste bad, I'm old school, a dash of mineral water should do the trick.

When I go to the UK this Summer I'm going to try and find a couple of good bottles to bring back, fingers crossed.

I'm starting to agree with you re JD. But Forty Creek Honey, dare I say it, is my favorite on the rocks drink. When drinking with just a splash of water, I'm partial to Balvenie offerings.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 06:28:32 pm by No-san »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #427 on: July 15, 2016, 12:11:38 pm »

I'm starting to agree with you re JD. But Forty Creek Honey, dare I say it, is my favorite on the rocks drink. When drinking with jigsaw a splash of water, I'm partial to Balvenie offerings.

Haven't seen the Forty Creek Honey.  But I only buy rye 2-3 times a year, buy dark rum twice as often.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #428 on: July 18, 2016, 09:24:03 am »
Was at a friend's house for his daughter's 4th birthday on Saturday.  After the majority of the party left and there was only about 15 of us left, he broke out one of his $300-$400 bottles of Don Julio tequila.  Man was that stuff delicious.  Will all of us there the bottle was gone in less than 10 minutes, lol. 

He's a big tequila drinker.  He married a Mexican woman too, so I guess his tastes run Mexican...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #429 on: August 29, 2016, 12:42:57 pm »
Bought a bottle of this for my neighbour for looking after my house while I was away:

http://www.auchentoshan.com/products/our-range/18-year-old.aspx

He invited my over to sample it yesterday afternoon. The sample ended up killing the bottle.

It's very smooth stuff.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 12, 2016, 04:30:08 pm »
So I've had my eye on a bottle of Woodford Reserve small batch Kentucky Straight Bourbon.  http://www.woodfordreserve.com/whiskey/bourbon/ 
I've been meaning to pick up a bottle for a while, but $50 for a 26oz bottle was a little steep for me, especially for a product I wasn't sure I liked.  This weekend I was at the LC grabbing another bottle of Jack Daniels (my usual go-to sipping whiskey) when I noticed they had mickeys of Woodford Reserve for $26.  Well, I since that was what I was going to spend on my Jack, I figured what the hell, and got the bottle of Woodford instead.

Well, if it isn't the smoothest bourbon I've ever had.  My bourbon experiences are limited, having tasted Jack Daniels, JD Single Barrel Select, and Maker's Mark.  But this stuff was a cut above any of that.  It was VERY smooth from start to finish, with oakiness and caramel near the end, but definitely NOT overwhelming (by contrast, Maker's Mark is almost too oaky).  There was a bunch of other flavours in there, as well.  At the very end there was just a little bit of burniness (it is 90.4 proof, after all) to mark it as a straight bourbon.

It's definitely going on my 'buy occasionally or ask for it as a birthday/xmas gift' list.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 12, 2016, 06:23:48 pm »
Bought a bottle of this for my neighbour for looking after my house while I was away:

http://www.auchentoshan.com/products/our-range/18-year-old.aspx

He invited my over to sample it yesterday afternoon. The sample ended up killing the bottle.

It's very smooth stuff.

Sounds like my brothers.  We'd just take a sample, and then the bottle is empty.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline tommypress

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: toyota
« Reply #432 on: September 16, 2016, 03:08:22 am »
What is exotic compared to German and Belgian beers :-\

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 29, 2016, 04:11:31 pm »
I've been eyeing this bottle for a while.  My wife picked it up for me today.  I can't wait to try it later this evening:

EDIT:  So I tried this stuff last night.  It was good.  Completely different than any other Bourbon I've had to date.  It was less smooth than the Woodford Reserve that I still have, but it had so much more flavor.  It was delicious.  Oh, and it's 100-proof, so I had a good buzz going after a couple of drams, lol.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:11:51 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #434 on: September 30, 2016, 10:14:43 am »
Knob creek ..............Suweeeeee   Suweeee........... :pimp:  so it deliverances the goods overProof of purchase :ttiwwp:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: September 30, 2016, 10:52:14 am »
I've heard very good things about Elijah Craig 12 yr Bourbon, so that will be the next bottle that I pick up. 

I'm very much enjoying this bourbon 'tour'.  Lots of character in these whiskies, and infinitely more affordable than scotches (a good bourbon is about $50, vs a mediocre scotch at $100+).

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #436 on: November 01, 2016, 09:01:18 pm »
My in-laws just returned from their annual Punta Cana trip.
Brought me back a bottle of rum as per usual to keep me happy -- but MIL has now asked me to paint her kitchen... hmm...

Anyway this is what they smuggled in for me:

I've never tried that one... every other year i've gotten one of these:

......which is actually a pretty decent rum.  Very interested to try the Extra version

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #437 on: November 01, 2016, 09:03:49 pm »
^
^

Having said all that up there,,, am sitting here having a nip of El Dorado 12.
For the price, this is a super nice rum.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 01, 2016, 09:08:04 pm »

Indeed.  Vmango gifted me a bottle!

Have you tried Zacapa??

Oh..and as far as painting the kitchen.  Drink ALL the rum, then paint kitchen.  Will be the last time she asks!   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #439 on: November 01, 2016, 09:14:54 pm »
^
^

Easily my favourite Rum at that price point.  Not very often I don't have a bottle in the cabinet. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing