Author Topic: Product Review: Yada rearview mirror with integrated Bluetooth and backup camera  (Read 9716 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Though handy when reversing and making a hands-free call, the Yada mirror's screen sometimes picked up external wireless signals.

Read More...

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
PITY it only powers UP when Reverse is selected..............would be better if it was ON all the time  then "BLIND SPOTS" would be a thing of the past (passed!!! ;))......................prolly some Law somewhere OUTLAWING that though...........I'd be an outlaw then............ :thumbup: :banana:

I wished the rear view camera on our old ex Veloster would have allowed that........... :'(
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 09:07:15 am by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Picking up other signals is common on other brands also

I  have had a wireless back up unit for atleast 5 years ans it pick , other a signals
I was think of checking out the peeler bars  ;D

On thing to watch out for is snow, rain and dirty will cover the lense of the camera

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
Is this the same unit as the one James reviewed earlier?  Or is it a different model?  Thought about picking one up for the F150, but realistically I have better ways to spend $250 + tax.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
Same one as James reviewed. Russ brings to light here a few things that James didn't encounter.
I used to work here.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
I installed the same one last month in my Vibe. Comes on sale fairly regularly at CT for 170 ish.

So far I like it. The camera works well, especially at night. Didn't know about the lines, that might be nice to give some scale for the wide angle lense.

It does have the flicker issue occasionally in the city. It bothers my GF but I don't find it a big deal.

Seems to link up fine with my iPhone, I have not got any calls with it yet, my GF usually texts.

When I first installed it I used the cigarette lighter plug in, and almost the next day someone broken into the car and rummaged around. I think the obvious power cord made them think there was a phone or GPS in the glovebox. No problems that way since with permanent power wired in.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 05:20:50 pm »
Ex Veloster? Did I miss something?

I was wondering if I'd overlooked a rare moment of Safristi lucidity, too.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 10:14:16 am »
Ex Veloster? Did I miss something?

I was wondering if I'd overlooked a rare moment of Safristi lucidity, too.

See the latter part of the "C&D 10 Best Cars" thread in General Car Talk.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline robsaw

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-2
    • View Profile
Picking up other signals is common on other brands also

Given that all these low-power (no radio license required) devices share a few frequency bands with limited numbers of channels with everything from cordless phones to garage door openers there is bound to be interference and/or reception of unintended signals.  Additionally, a LOT of these devices transmit well above the legal standard, which only makes the problem worse.  Hard-wired is the only way to negate most of the interference.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
I see this is on sale at CT for $125.00 now.

To get hard wired power to the head unit was pretty easy, I used an 'add a fuse' plugged into the fusebox up under the dash on the Vibe. The power wire slipped behind the door moulding and headliner easily.

The hatch on the Vibe made the camera install more difficult than a car with a trunk, first the plastic covering the hatch had to come off:

The camera installed behind the license plate without trouble, I did have to drill a hole behind the plate to run the wire through to the transmitter, which I zip-tied in place inside the hatch. A handy power wire was there to tap into but then there was the problem of running a sensor wire up the inside of the hatch and down to the tailight.

This defeated me until I broke down and bought a cheap fish tool from Princess Auto to get the wire down through the hatch:

And through the rubber wire cover connecting the hatch and the body:

jackmic78

wire covers
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 04:42:31 am »
Floor wire is the best solution to protect your liability.