Author Topic: Long-Term Test Wrap-up: 2015 Volkswagen Golf and GTI  (Read 17234 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Long-Term Test Wrap-up: 2015 Volkswagen Golf and GTI
« on: March 30, 2015, 06:36:40 am »

Birdie, Par, Eagle
Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Long-Term Test Wrap-up: 2015 Volkswagen Golf and GTI
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 06:56:23 am »
Wipers.  Just remember to put them in service position when you turn the car off.    Quick tap downwards on the wiper switch immediately after turning off the ignition.  VAG products have done that for years now.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 07:06:25 am »
Wipers.  Just remember to put them in service position when you turn the car off.    Quick tap downwards on the wiper switch immediately after turning off the ignition.  VAG products have done that for years now.

+1  And if you did forget, just switch the car to ON then OFF and do it. Then you can start the car if you want to warm it up while you scrape. Or just get a garage.  ;)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 08:37:44 am »
While $35k isn't cheap I still think that the GTI represents a good value. It is a bit annoying that VW forces the Autobahn trim if you want four doors. I'm ok with it because I like loaded cars but I can understand that it would turn some people off. At least we have a bit more flexibility in some ways than the U.S. does, where you can't get a sunroof without leather.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 10:13:00 am »
Let me be the first, for once ::), to :bow: to Mr. Yarokony for this piece.

It cannot be easy to take a combined what, 6,000km, three 'different' vehicles, and sum up well the points that are made in logical succession.  :winner:, as always.

However, the 1.8T is the Goldilocks option, a birdie, if you will, in links parlance.
I think this is the most important point, however.  I noticed it with the overall fuel costs, with the 1.8T mayhaps not being the most efficient, but certainly the most reasonable to run (and making the TDI all-but moot unless you drive solely highway and >~25,000km/year).

This is what Subaru (et al.) needs to learn - a base engine that is undesirable can seriously harm a vehicle's desirability, but here VW shows that an engine alone can be a selling feature: many flocked to the VW group for the exclusive diesel offerings for years, and now every new VW (E&OE) comes with a decent engine.  While GM's 1.4T may not be up to the task in anything other than the Sonic (by weight), or even maybe the Cruze, Hyundai and Nissan are both doing well with their 1.6Ts.

As a final thought, most Europeans that I speak to don't say "100hp is enough for me".  Though my sample size is admittedly small, they accept it as 'sufficient, barely,' but complain that they would like more (but-for having to pay for more fuel burned).  If gas prices were to drop (dramatically...), sales of small, weak cars in Europe would slow very quickly, me thinks.

Any way, great article, JY, and if the Golf R comes with its AWD and has some good deals on the hood (HA!), I could consider one, but the Golf 1.8T does, indeed, seem like the 'right' VW for many.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 10:32:44 am »
Historically VW made the best FWD vehicles. Like the output of 2.0L turbo but really hate having to pony up for higher octane fuel.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 10:45:52 am »
Historically VW made the best FWD vehicles. Like the output of 2.0L turbo but really hate having to pony up for higher octane fuel.

That's sort of offset by the increases in fuel economy in newer cars. Or at least that's how I justify it.  ;D

Way faster than my Mazda 6 was and requires premium but my fuel costs have still gone down quite a bit.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 10:55:29 am »

I like buying premium: no ethanol, more detergents, and I get bonus Airmiles.

But I only buy it for the car that needs it.

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 10:56:56 am »
my bigger heavier more powerful ATS with the 2.0T engine gets better fuel economy than this...how is this possible? and I fill it with regular gas

Offline ar_ken

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 12:05:09 pm »
My 2012 Golf R gets around 10.4 L/100km in mixed driving.  Maybe I have a soft right foot?   ;D

Offline Nuttygent

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-20
  • Every man dies...but not every man lives
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Forte5 SX
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 12:49:31 pm »
  I was looking at the GTI as well as the Mini Cooper S when car shopping last year and commute to the airport for 150 km's a day. The premium fuel was a consideration, it is unbelievable how much extra they charge here in Ontario for this option. In the States it is about 5 cents extra for a gallon! Not all premium fuel is ethanol free, mostly just Shell and some Ultramar stations. If looking for ethanol free fuel the stations are listed on pure-gas.org.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 12:58:17 pm »
^^ Don't know which states you're talking about, but I've bought gas in three states in the past two weeks, and the difference is around $0.40 per gallon.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 01:23:44 pm »
^^ Don't know which states you're talking about, but I've bought gas in three states in the past two weeks, and the difference is around $0.40 per gallon.
Correct, usually differential between 93 and 87 AKI is 10-13¢/litre. If a station wants to charge more, then I go elsewhere. It is likely that the engine will compensate for lower AKI but is designed for optimum power and consumption running on the 91 AKI (98 RON). After all, usually the minimum fuel in western Europe is 95 RON = 91 AKI.....can't buy anything lower.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 02:44:12 pm »
I have mentioned this before, the GTI 2.0L Turbo is underrated.  It is producing between 225 and 230hp at the wheels depending on dyno, which puts it at about 260 hp at the crank.  This would also explain why it has no problem accelerating as fast as the Focus ST (and quicker if some publications are to be believed).

The damn car is so refined that once you drive it, you get why it costs more.  Just an observation, however.  Some folks like a ride a little more 'exciting.'

I don't believe 260 at the crank.  I do agree that VAG's numbers are pretty conservative.

I owned a Mk V 2.0T  and I would believe that the rated 200 bhp was actually at the wheels.    IIRC the APR web site has dyno curves before and after their chip for several of the 2.0T variants.  Note that those graphs are crank numbers computed from extrapolating the dyno numbers which of course are wheel numbers. And a lot of APR's numbers assume 93 AKI fuel which would mean you'd have to use Sunoco Ultra 94 in Ontario anyway.

Offline Nuttygent

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-20
  • Every man dies...but not every man lives
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Forte5 SX
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 03:50:45 pm »
  Just for comparison purposes, I'm getting 8.4L/100km's at a steady 130 on the 401. At 100 kph it will drop into the low 7's and have seen 6.7L/100kms on very level roads on reg fuel. I use premium once a month and it seems to say about the same on the little 1.6 turbo.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 04:31:43 pm »
10.2 L/100 km for the GTI is quite poor IMO.

I've averaged 8.6 L/100 km / 27.3 MPG over 9000 km. That's all winter driving. Probably could do a bit better with a lighter right foot.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 04:50:39 pm »

+1  And if you did forget, just switch the car to ON then OFF and do it. Then you can start the car if you want to warm it up while you scrape. Or just get a garage.  ;)

I guess as an owner you'd get used to it, but why the needless complexity when most other manufacturers require nothing of owners. And oddly, the TDI did not require this action, as i was always able to sweep them up a bit manually and then raise them without any action when shutting the car down.... bizarre.

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 04:56:23 pm »

I guess as an owner you'd get used to it, but why the needless complexity when most other manufacturers require nothing of owners. And oddly, the TDI did not require this action, as i was always able to sweep them up a bit manually and then raise them without any action when shutting the car down.... bizarre.

German cars are for us weird people who actually read their owners manual and have place-marks  :)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 05:00:44 pm »
German cars are for us weird people who actually read their owners manual and have place-marks  :)
Ja, zis is reqwired reading, no?

Seriously, that's why they bother to write out and print out the owner's manual. And it actually is pretty standard across automakers; when my dad didn't know how to raise the wipers to the service position on his Tiguan, I surmised it must be the same as the BMW F10 5er. I pushed down on the stalk, and voila......worked exactly the same. Perfectly logical.

For the record, I also studied and read the owner's manual for my Mazda3 BM.......months before I even took delivery of it.

Northernridge

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 05:02:57 pm »
Too funny. Figuring out how to put the Berlin taxi into neutral and shutting off traction control required the manual (I'm probably the only E Class customer to ever have done so). So did most navigation functions and all audio source connections. Same with locating the oil filter (it's very well hidden). And on and on.

Cruise control also requires the manual to master.