Author Topic: Tire Review: Michelin X-ICE Xi3  (Read 41958 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Tire Review: Michelin X-ICE Xi3
« on: February 07, 2012, 03:04:32 am »

On ice, the new Michelin X-ICE Xi3 winter tire provides shorter stopping distances than the current Xi2 tire.

Read More...

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
Re: Tire Review: Michelin X-ICE Xi3
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 06:52:06 am »
What was the Nokian tyre? I lust after a set of Hakkepellitas (spelling?) - especially as my Mazda is on Pacemark Snowtrakker (pretty poor on ice - budget brand) and my wife's Nissan is on Firestone Winterforce (I find them actually dangerous). My concern with the Michelin Ice tyres is dealing with new snow, packed snow and slush. East Coast the times I really need traction, cornering and braking are driving as the snow's coming down hard, when it's been driven over many times and hasn't been fully ploughed/melted properly. The ice tyres never look like they have enough for slush clearance for grip in those conditions.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 08:37:55 am »
The tread pattern at 4/32 depth seems impressive. It would've been nice for them to show the simulated 46,000km wear on all of the tires for a complete comparison.

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 12:29:54 pm »
Sounds like a good upgrade to the Xi2. I've owned two sets of the Xi2 and two or three sets of the original X-Ice tires as well. I've continued to buy them as I believe they are well suited to our West Coast mountain weather where we see a lot of slick wet packed snow and ice. The tires often seem like an upgrade over the summer and all season tires that they're replacing for winter duty. They run quiet and handling does not seem to be diminished. I like the idea of getting four winters of use from the new Xi3 model as I've averaged more in the area of three with the earlier versions.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 12:50:38 pm »
That should be interesting... I'll be "wearing out" my Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires this summer (my all seasons are completely finished) and then look to pick up a new set of snows come the fall. Wonder if these are recommended for small SUV duty? (Don't see why not) This is the 4th winter for my Pirelli's and while they stop and turn pretty good still - acceleration and grip in deep snow is non-existant. If I had 4WD I'd probably try and run them 1 more winter. I would estimate that the have less than 40k kms on them. I will never buy another Pirelli winter tire ever again. Either Blizzak's or X-Ice all the way. Nokians are pretty good too I've heard but the price advantage that they used to have over Blizzak and XIce is now gone.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 12:51:36 pm »
They look just like the Nokian WRg2s !

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 01:01:40 pm »
I have Falken Espia Epz's on my '11 Sonata and I find they compare very favourably  with the Nokian R's I had on our previous car.
Falken is a division of Sumitomo tire corp.
They have a few neat features, one of them is a special compound that seeps of out of the tread face to prevent cracking...
Theyre pretty good, not perfect but handle the snow well,ice,water... They are pretty quiet, but soft ...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 01:06:56 pm »
I will never buy another Pirelli winter tire ever again.

any specific reason why?

we've got Pirelli SottoZero's on the Rabbit and they are pretty good.  quite similar to the Conti Winter contacts i've had before.  aside from the price and availability, i'm curious why you are saying you will never have Pirelli's again.  any bad experiences?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 01:15:29 pm »
"Review and photos by Paul Williams"

This was no "review".  This was a report from a sponsored promotional event.  Don't get me wrong - by all accounts the Xi2s are great winter tires, and Xi3s are probably even better, and may be the best winter tire on the market  - but come on Paul, just regurgitating the line/results Michelin gave you does not constitute a "review".  It's simpling passing along their message (i.e. semi-free advertising, as they did have to pay to put on the event...)  Michelin did have interesting data to share (the differences at 4/32 tread), but a little healthy skepticism is in order at any manufacturer-sponsored event.

Not that it is any different from other companies, I believe Bridgestone did the same thing when it released the WS70s last year.  But don't call it a "review" - that's an insult to the actual (well-done) automotive reviews that are done on this site.  When Haney hooks up a set of Xi3s for a Winnipeg winter, or tirerack does independent testing, then I'll call it a review.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 01:26:17 pm »

any specific reason why?

we've got Pirelli SottoZero's on the Rabbit and they are pretty good.  quite similar to the Conti Winter contacts i've had before.  aside from the price and availability, i'm curious why you are saying you will never have Pirelli's again.  any bad experiences?

Yeah, the Scorpion Ice & Snows suck compared to XIce and Blizzaks (both of which I've owned before on two different vehicles and drive XIce on 4 different vehicles on a regular basis). The Scorpion is fine braking and turning but it flat out sucks accelerating (ie. up a slippery hill). My boss has the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice on his Mazda 3 and that thing is a mountain goat compared to my SUV with the Pirelli's. His tires are 1 season newer than mine but I don't think mine were ever that good - MAYBE the first winter I had them on there. Now the best part - the Goodyears are rated 14th on CR - XIce are #1 and the WS60 (which is the tire I had) is rated 7th.

Hate to tell the joke again but its like my wife said, "Well what'd you expect? When was the last time you saw a scorpion in the snow?"

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 01:31:26 pm »

any specific reason why?

Yeah, the Scorpion Ice & Snows suck compared to XIce and Blizzaks (both of which I've owned before on two different vehicles and drive XIce on 4 different vehicles on a regular basis). The Scorpion is fine braking and turning but it flat out sucks accelerating (ie. up a slippery hill). My boss has the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice on his Mazda 3 and that thing is a mountain goat compared to my SUV with the Pirelli's. His tires are 1 season newer than mine but I don't think mine were ever that good - MAYBE the first winter I had them on there. Now the best part - the Goodyears are rated 14th on CR - XIce are #1 and the WS60 (which is the tire I had) is rated 7th.

Hate to tell the joke again but its like my wife said, "Well what'd you expect? When was the last time you saw a scorpion in the snow?"

It must depend on the vehicle. The Pirelli Ice and Snows I have mounted on the Land Rover are very similar in performance to the DMV1s I have mounted on my Ridgeline. The Blizzacks have better ultimate ice grip and more snow performance but they are new vs the third season on the Pirelli's. The Pirelli is much better in the dry (noise/handling) than the Blizzack. Tire Rack shows the DMV1 and the Pirelli 1&2 in the SUV winter survey.

Perhaps it is your SUV that is the problem....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 01:43:52 pm »
This was no "review".  This was a report from a sponsored promotional event.  Don't get me wrong - by all accounts the Xi2s are great winter tires, and Xi3s are probably even better, and may be the best winter tire on the market  - but come on Paul, just regurgitating the line/results Michelin gave you does not constitute a "review". 

Unfortunately, every review seems to sound like a promotional piece. Screw reviews, word of mouth tells me to get Nokian Hakka Rs next.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 03:51:34 pm »

any specific reason why?

It must depend on the vehicle. The Pirelli Ice and Snows I have mounted on the Land Rover are very similar in performance to the DMV1s I have mounted on my Ridgeline. The Blizzacks have better ultimate ice grip and more snow performance but they are new vs the third season on the Pirelli's. The Pirelli is much better in the dry (noise/handling) than the Blizzack. Tire Rack shows the DMV1 and the Pirelli 1&2 in the SUV winter survey.

Perhaps - anyone happen to know if Hyundai's diffs slip more easily than most manfs?!

My Spec V of course had an LSD (That had the Blizzaks on it)
Wife's old GAGT had original XIce on it (it was almost as good as my Spec V was)
Mom-in-laws Sentra has XIce 2s on it (pretty comparable to the GAGT with the original XIce)

Then again, your Land Rover and Ridgeline I'm assuming are 4WD - which would address my major complaint with the Pirelli.

Offline dasiuyan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 04:04:57 pm »

any specific reason why?

Perhaps - anyone happen to know if Hyundai's diffs slip more easily than most manfs?!

My Spec V of course had an LSD (That had the Blizzaks on it)
Wife's old GAGT had original XIce on it (it was almost as good as my Spec V was)
Mom-in-laws Sentra has XIce 2s on it (pretty comparable to the GAGT with the original XIce)

Then again, your Land Rover and Ridgeline I'm assuming are 4WD - which would address my major complaint with the Pirelli.

I have Scorpion on Forester too. I have similar comment as the others. I do agree that it slip a bit before it grips if going on a slippy hill; but it was commending afterward.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 04:58:37 pm »
I didn't realize that the Hyundai was 2WD. The Land Rover is so heavy I am sure that any snow it is driving over is instantly melted. It is also full time AWD so I probably don't notice the slipping. In the nastiest of conditions I would give the nod to the DMV1. The Ice and snow design must be at least 6 years old now, if not more.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 01:00:06 am »
The tread pattern at 4/32 depth seems impressive. It would've been nice for them to show the simulated 46,000km wear on all of the tires for a complete comparison.

This is an excellent point.  The depth of sipes and other tread features makes a huge difference in how snow tires perform as they age.  And although you can't see it, these characteristics vary a lot between tires.  This makes careful comparison shopping difficult.  I've commented here before that the sipes on the Blizzak DMZ-3 seem to be full-width right to the bottom of the tread.

Despite the claims in the article, I wasn't impressed by the wear on the XI3.  Judging by the tread on the new tire, it has little ability to chew through deep wet snow to begin with, and rapidly loses even that.  By 4/32", it would get stuck easily.

Contrary to the claims in the article, the "worn" shot shows this tire loses the "teardrop" feature early, and the sipes are not full-width to full depth.  So by 4/32", it looks like most of the function of sipes would be lost.  But I guess by the time people have XI3's and wear them down, Michelin will be promoting the superior features of the XI4.

In fact, the shot of the worn "competition" tire shows more sipes remaining than on the Michelin.

The comparison at 4/32" glosses over the fact that some winter tires start at 14/32", while the Michelins start at 11/32" (depending on the size).  Buyer beware.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 01:10:30 am by X-Traction »
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline Gwido

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 07:49:51 am »
In fact, the shot of the worn "competition" tire shows more sipes remaining than on the Michelin.

The pictures of the worn/new tire threads don't match the descriptions. I don't know what tires are shown in the first picture but they're not the Michelins.

For reference, here's what the X-Ice Xi3 look like: http://tires.about.com/od/tire_wheel_galleries/ig/Michelin-X-Ice-Xi3/Michelin-X-Ice-Xi3.htm

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 08:59:42 am »
I think the pictures confuse the worn comparison. Here are article quotes (emphasis added):

"Interestingly, the Michelin tire’s blocks and sipes were still quite evident, with the face of the tire recognizably similar to a new one, even though it was 76 per cent worn (based on an original tread depth of 10.5/32 of an inch)."

"However, some of the other tires appeared much more worn at this tread depth, with their blocks and sipes all but erased. According to Michelin engineers, even when worn to the 4/32 depth, the X-ICE Xi3′s overall effectiveness on the road was only reduced by 15 per cent. This was evident during the test, with the Michelin tire continuing to provide confident starts, stops and turns throughout the circuit."

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 07:03:07 pm »

The pictures of the worn/new tire threads don't match the descriptions. I don't know what tires are shown in the first picture but they're not the Michelins.

For reference, here's what the X-Ice Xi3 look like: http://tires.about.com/od/tire_wheel_galleries/ig/Michelin-X-Ice-Xi3/Michelin-X-Ice-Xi3.htm

You're correct. 

And it looks like the pictures of the "competition" tire actually were the Xi3.  So because of the swapped captions, my comments on the relative wear performance should have backed up what the article said, as opposed to mistakenly contradicting the article.  It appears the Xi3's sipes go full-width to the bottom of the tread, which means they retain winter performance longer, which means they are a better value.  This is one way that cheaper winter tires can be a false economy.

Now that I know what the Xi3's tread really looks like, I'd also say it would perform well chewing through deep damp snow.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 07:07:09 pm by X-Traction »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 07:16:48 pm »
This was no "review".  This was a report from a sponsored promotional event.  Don't get me wrong - by all accounts the Xi2s are great winter tires, and Xi3s are probably even better, and may be the best winter tire on the market  - but come on Paul, just regurgitating the line/results Michelin gave you does not constitute a "review". 

Unfortunately, every review seems to sound like a promotional piece. Screw reviews, word of mouth tells me to get Nokian Hakka Rs next.

Just got R's mounted on the XC70 2 weeks ago. Absolutely spectacular traction on ice, packed snow, slush or dry asphalts. I also gained .2-.3 L/100 km over the Gislaved NordFrost 5 that were the previous mount. Best winter tire yet for me.