Author Topic: Preview: 2013 Toyota Avalon  (Read 11418 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Preview: 2013 Toyota Avalon
« on: April 17, 2012, 04:04:05 am »

Toyota unveiled the 2013 Avalon at the New York Auto Show, but failed to answer the real question: who are they building this car for?

Read More...

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
Re: Preview: 2013 Toyota Avalon
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 08:30:08 am »
Squeezed between the Camry and Lexus, smaller more eloquent design...hmmmm sounds a lot like the latest chapter of the Maxima, sans the "best handling fwd" sub-title.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 09:10:14 am »
Arguably more stylish than the outgoing Avalon.  I think Toyota should have pulled a 'Passat CC' with this version of the Avalon to differentiate it more from the top of the line Camry XLS and the Lexus ES.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 12:00:20 pm »
It sounds like Toyota is trying to build a better 2008 Buick for the septuagenarians.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline [ EMT ]

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 12:32:23 pm »

This Avalon is nothing more than an offering just to fill every segment in the Toyota line-up. I'm sure based on year by year sales, Toyota would be happy with 1,000 cars sold in Canada!  It's probably an "all in no options needed" like the current model. Although in New Jersey where my brother (who owns a 2008 model) lives, I've seen enough of them to think they sell well enough there.

This is a better built "Oldsmobile/Buick" (no offence) of our grandparents.   

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 12:55:00 pm »

This Avalon is nothing more than an offering just to fill every segment in the Toyota line-up. I'm sure based on year by year sales, Toyota would be happy with 1,000 cars sold in Canada!  It's probably an "all in no options needed" like the current model. Although in New Jersey where my brother (who owns a 2008 model) lives, I've seen enough of them to think they sell well enough there.

This is a better built "Oldsmobile/Buick" (no offence) of our grandparents.

The Avalon in the US is outsold by the Maxima something close to 2:1 and 4:1 here.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 04:44:42 pm »
Of all the Toyota models, Toyota Canada invests the least in the Avalon.  They special order a "mid level trim" unit with Nav and throw nothing at the marketing side.  The Camry plant in Kentucky has run at capacity for years and Toyota Motor charges Toyota Canada a premium for the Avalon which knocks it out of the market.  A US Avalon similarly equipped is about 6K less.

The money used Avalons bring in the US is amazing.  Their supply strategy works. The new Avalon will be the cheaper cousin to the new ES350.  I expect no change in supply and price strategy in Canada.  So if your looking at the new Avalon which is gonna be the ultimate Buick FWD large Cadillac sedan that GM could/can never build, go to the US and import.  No duty and warranty honoured in Canada.

Firstly, I don't think you can even compare the Maxima to the Avalon.  Two different markets entirely.

Second, Maximas sell in Canada better because Nissan Canada throws big money on the hood.  It's the only way they move.   Maxima with roof, NO Nav, freight, $43K list.  Time your purchase and Nissan will throw 8K on the hood.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 05:08:29 pm »
Time your purchase and Nissan will throw 8K on the hood.

Awesome car for that kind of money.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 09:44:27 pm »
Time your purchase and Nissan will throw 8K on the hood.

Awesome car for that kind of money.

No kidding!  That kind of discount would get my attention.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 10:05:24 am »
It sounds like Toyota is trying to build a better 2008 Buick for the septuagenarians.

What an insult!  I'm well into my 7th decade and I'm certainly not ready for a Buick/Avalon.  I'm more interested in driving dynamics than a floaty luxury cruiser and I'm certainly not alone.  65 is the new 50.  In fact my health age is 50 and I'm in better shape and think younger than a lot of people half my age.  It's time for you younger folks to get with it.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 12:45:20 pm »

I don't think you can even compare the Maxima to the Avalon.  Two different markets entirely.

Yeah I'm going to have to disagree there. Certainly they are built for different driver preferences but if they are similarly MSRP'd, and are at the perch of their respective (non-luxury) lineups and are sedans (but not the mainstream ones), and are japenese, I dunno that's getting to a rather specific market these days.

My point is more that the context of each being the halo car above the Camry/Altima but below a similarly priced ES/G certainly makes them comparable. IMO it's an awkward position to be in and it'd be interesting to see how each make-out/survive; will their sales trend together or opposite; are either stealing more market share from within than from each other?

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 05:11:33 pm »
What an insult!

Sigh...

Go ahead and smite me. Everyone else seems to take great joy in it. ::)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 05:28:15 pm »

I don't mind if I do!   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 07:08:41 pm »
What an insult!

Sigh...

Keep whining about smites and you'll pass me.  Just sayin'....   Wait a minute... is that your devious plan??  >:(

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 08:13:38 pm »
will their sales trend together or opposite; are either stealing more market share from within than from each other?

The Maxima and the Avalon are not cross shopped I can tell you that first hand.  The Avalon is a larger car inside.  Very spacious.  At least 1/2 foot longer than a Max.   The Maxima is exactly the same size as an Altima.  Maybe 1/2inch shorter, a bit wider.  Visually much more appealling.  It appeals to the 45 year old thereabouts.  Avalon buyers add a decade or two. ;D

The purpose of each is to give Altima/Camry customers an upscale option before leaving the brand in search of a foreign built unit.    Altima/Camry owners are there primarily because they're value shoppers and the sticker price of the Maxima/Avalon is a bridge too far.   Besides a Camry XLE has always been really close to an Avalon except for the rear seat room..  Problem for the Maxima is the G25.  A real problem for the Maxima sales person if you've got on of those dual Nissan/Infinity stores is allowing the customer wander over to the other side and price out a G.

My feeling with the new Avalon is that it will steal some business from the Lexus ES.  Both new and sharing the same platform.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 08:47:55 pm »
will their sales trend together or opposite; are either stealing more market share from within than from each other?

The Maxima and the Avalon are not cross shopped I can tell you that first hand.  The Avalon is a larger car inside.  Very spacious.  At least 1/2 foot longer than a Max.   The Maxima is exactly the same size as an Altima.  Maybe 1/2inch shorter, a bit wider.  Visually much more appealling.  It appeals to the 45 year old thereabouts.  Avalon buyers add a decade or two. ;D

The purpose of each is to give Altima/Camry customers an upscale option before leaving the brand in search of a foreign built unit.    Altima/Camry owners are there primarily because they're value shoppers and the sticker price of the Maxima/Avalon is a bridge too far.   Besides a Camry XLE has always been really close to an Avalon except for the rear seat room..  Problem for the Maxima is the G25.  A real problem for the Maxima sales person if you've got on of those dual Nissan/Infinity stores is allowing the customer wander over to the other side and price out a G.

My feeling with the new Avalon is that it will steal some business from the Lexus ES.  Both new and sharing the same platform.

Dual dealership? Not to many of those around here, Ottawa yes but the rest of us will shop in a smaller city or town that has only has a Nissan or Toyota dealer.  Anyone that drives a G or ES here never looked at the Max or Avalon.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 09:39:31 pm »
Ottawa yes but the rest of us will shop in a smaller city or town that has only has a Nissan or Toyota dealer

Whose the rest of us  ???   

Newmarket Nissan is a dual store.   

Anyone that drives a G or ES here never looked at the Max or Avalon.

We always hope Maxima buyers don't mention the word G25 to us.  :)  Game over at that point unless Nissan has come out with a huge cash incentive.   Now that the Avalon and ES will be same platform and looking pretty similar I think ES buyers will make the effort if there is 8K on the hood. And I think returning Toyota customers will be less likely to look at an ES than before if they were so inclined to spend more.  New Avalon is really good news for Toyota dealers.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 01:54:30 am »
I cant believe that the G25 and the G37 are that close in price, Id stretch the extra few K for the G37 and the extra 100+ horses.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 05:41:47 am »
Ottawa yes but the rest of us will shop in a smaller city or town that has only has a Nissan or Toyota dealer

Whose the rest of us  ???   

Newmarket Nissan is a dual store.   

Anyone that drives a G or ES here never looked at the Max or Avalon.

We always hope Maxima buyers don't mention the word G25 to us.  :)  Game over at that point unless Nissan has come out with a huge cash incentive.   Now that the Avalon and ES will be same platform and looking pretty similar I think ES buyers will make the effort if there is 8K on the hood. And I think returning Toyota customers will be less likely to look at an ES than before if they were so inclined to spend more.  New Avalon is really good news for Toyota dealers.

Newmarket! that's because it's so close to the centre of the universe ;D  Try Cornwall, Brockville, Hawkesbury and all those 20-60k places that are not close to the big city.

Question, how about the maintenance menu for a Max vs G, Avalon vs ES?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 11:45:28 am »

Agreed with all of that.  Oakville is a dual store as well.

Jaeger