Author Topic: First Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Electric  (Read 16163 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Electric
« on: May 09, 2012, 04:05:43 am »

Introduced without much fanfare, the Ford Focus Electric has a distinct advantage over the Nissan Leaf.

Read More...

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
Re: First Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Electric
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 07:20:00 am »
A very good write up of the latest entry into the electric car offering. It certainly is to Fords credit that as they did when the Fusion Hybrid came on the market, they led the pack.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/7045192707/

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 08:06:45 am »
I know it's not an all electric vehicle but I think I would go with the upcoming Prius Plug-in model if it was me.  But I live so close to my work that I could get to and from work every day with the estimated distance (20 kms I think) for the Prius and then I could use it for longer trips without worrying about running out of juice.  Plus I think it will be slightly cheaper than the Focus Electric and offer a bit more space inside.  Oh and Toyota's proven hybrid bullet proof technology.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 08:29:27 am »
The grill looks like a tacky aftermarket add-on.  I wonder why Ford didn't electrify the smaller, lighter Fiesta instead?
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 09:07:47 am »
Clearly some high hurdles before this product becomes anywhere near viable as a replacement. 1) Long charging times 2) High purchase price 3) Short driving distance compared to gas/diesel. I'm still floored that N/A is bypassing small efficient diesels in small vehicles and leaping to electric vehicles.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline shawno

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 09:13:37 am »
So even after factoring in the Ontario rebate, and adding the cost of the charging station, you are still looking at about 35K before taxes for a compact/mid size car.  For 10 to 15K less, I can get the same gasoline powered car and in the 5 years that I own it there is no way I'll spend even close to that much on gas.  I'm also guessing that in 5 years the resale on an electric vehicle produced today will not be attractive and the next-gen model will make this one obsolete.

The industry is slowly progressing, but I don't think the basic economics (which most people will base their purchasing decision on) is quite there yet.  These cars will remain a niche market for now.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 09:37:58 am »
So even after factoring in the Ontario rebate, and adding the cost of the charging station, you are still looking at about 35K before taxes for a compact/mid size car.  For 10 to 15K less, I can get the same gasoline powered car and in the 5 years that I own it there is no way I'll spend even close to that much on gas.  I'm also guessing that in 5 years the resale on an electric vehicle produced today will not be attractive and the next-gen model will make this one obsolete.

The industry is slowly progressing, but I don't think the basic economics (which most people will base their purchasing decision on) is quite there yet.  These cars will remain a niche market for now.

I calculated the breakeven point for the iMiEV over a $22k car in Ontario, and it's 1 year 8 months for someone driving 20k a year at current fuel prices. Figure just over 2 years for the Focus electric.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 09:39:56 am »
It's not necessarily an economic decision to go electric. Many people actually want to reduce emissions and invest in technology that will help us make the transition from a fossil-fuel dependent infrastructure to one with long-term sustainability, with more solar, wind and other renewable sources of energy in the power supply mix. These same people might put solar panels up on their roof, or a small windmill in their yard, not to be cheap but to start reducing reliance on the power grid...

However, the Focus and other electric cars are all still commuter cars, and not the single-car solution for families that travel up to the cottage or slopes regularly. The Volt and Prius Plug-in are, but they are all so expensive that none of them seem like good value, only as acceptable expenses if you're willing to take the financial hit for that technological investment (an investment that will never pay pack in this lifetime).
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 09:48:09 am »
I'm still floored that N/A is bypassing small efficient diesels in small vehicles and leaping to electric vehicles.

Why would they do that at this point? Marginal gains in fuel economy, for a fuel that typically costs more in the US.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:50:08 am by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 10:15:35 am »
Does anyone know what the long-term maintenance schedule on these things looks like? Conceptually I've thought EVs might have a great advantage over the long term since there's no fiddling with engines, exhaust systems, transmissions are simple, etc., plus there should be added benefits like less vibration that can add stress to some components.

EVs should have a significant benefit in that regard.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 10:16:00 am »
I'm still floored that N/A is bypassing small efficient diesels in small vehicles and leaping to electric vehicles.

Why would they do that at this point? Marginal gains in fuel economy, for a fuel that typically costs more in the US.

Not talking pitiful (U.S.) choices but talking plentiful (Europe) choices offering for small diesels. We should have these options here. This is from 2009 article to boot

Model                                            Power       Avg. cons.
                                                                             l/100km     Mileage
                                                                                            mpg U.S.    
Fiat 500 1.3 JTD Multijet 16V Pop DPF       75       4.2       56    
VW Golf 1.6 TDI BlueMotion DPF               105       4.1       57    
Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDI GreenLine DPF               80       4.1       57    
Opel Corsa 1.3 CDTI ecoFlex CO2 Pack DPF    75       4.1       57    
Audi A3 1.6 TDI Attraction DPF               105       4.1       57    
Toyota iQ 1.4 D-4D DPF                       90       4.0       59    
Renault Twingo 1.5 dCi Rip Curl               84       4.0       59    
Volvo S40 / V50 1.6D DRIVe Start/Stop DPF    109       3.9       60    
Volvo C30 1.6D DRIVe Start/Stop DPF       109       3.9       60    
Toyota Prius 1.8 Hybrid                       136       3.9       60    
Mini One D DPF                                        90       3.9       60    
VW Polo 1.6 TDI BlueMotion                        90       3.7       64    
Seat Ibiza 1.4 TDI Ecomotive DPF                80       3.7       64    
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi ECOnetic DPF                90       3.7       64    
smart fortwo coupé 0.8 cdi pure softip DPF     54       3.4       69

(Formatting looked perfect before hitting post)
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/02/report-all-of-europes-15-most-fuel-efficient-cars-get-better-t/
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:19:09 am by redman »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 10:24:29 am »

Not talking pitiful (U.S.) choices but talking plentiful (Europe) choices offering for small diesels. We should these options here.

l/100km     Mileage
                                                                                            mpg U.S.    
Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDI GreenLine DPF         80       4.1       57    
Volvo S40 / V50 1.6D DRIVe Start/Stop DPF 109            3.9            60    

(Sorry about the formatting look perfect before hitting post)
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/02/report-all-of-europes-15-most-fuel-efficient-cars-get-better-t/

I don't think the forum s/w likes tab characters.

I note that most of those cars do have particulate filters ( DPF) but I would think none have urea injection.  But they are all  small cars and may not sell well enough in NA even if they had gas engines. The Prius, Volvos and the Audi being exceptions.  VW for instance have (supposedly) tried to build a business case for the Polo in NA with no success.

Diesel should cost more than gasoline...it has more energy per unit of mass.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

nsmyhte

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 11:17:25 am »
The grill looks like a tacky aftermarket add-on.  I wonder why Ford didn't electrify the smaller, lighter Fiesta instead?

So that they can maximize market penetration.  Compact cars are much more popular than subcompacts.  You want to have to car that will appeal to the broadest market to make a business case for this car.

The Fiesta isn't popular enough to warrant adding an electric version and splitting sales even more.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 12:01:27 pm »
Good looking car, great technology and I hope it works out. But I can't believe tax payers tolerate a direct subsidy of a consumer product for another person. It's exactly the same as me buying a big screen TV and you helping me pay for it personally.

For clarity, every time a well-to-do household concludes that it must have a $40,000 EV car, Ontario tax payers kick in $8,500 to their cause. That means $8,500 in public money doesn't go to any other purpose.

The market will figure out whether or not it wants EV and hybrid cars and what the value is – they are consumer products.
i agree...i understand we need to transition to alternative choices, but don't make everyone pay for what the already "well to do" can only afford as it is...add on freight, pdi and taxes, and this car is $50k...most people who buy the $15-$20k cars for affordability can't afford to buy a $50k car...the ones who can afford to purchase a $50k car don't need $8500 in tax payer money...that money should be going to education, job creation and health care, not helping rich yuppies buy "iCars".
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline philmcneal

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-12
  • Hypermiler Enthusiast & E-Store Owner
    • View Profile
    • Do you believe that a bidet can increase your quality of life?
  • Cars: 2004 Toyota Prius, Town and Country Minivan, Chrysler 200,
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 03:41:23 pm »

I calculated the breakeven point for the iMiEV over a $22k car in Ontario, and it's 1 year 8 months for someone driving 20k a year at current fuel prices. Figure just over 2 years for the Focus electric.

how did you get these numbers? you factoring in insurance, maintainence and electricity as well?
The best car is one that is cheap to operate. If you are curious about bidets please visit my web site on how they can improve your quality of life!

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 03:48:52 pm »
Special niche car for people who have higher disposal income and aren't budget limited.

Offline DBrown

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 04:21:05 pm »
Special niche car for people who have higher disposal income and aren't budget limited.

Lots of cars are like that, not just electrics.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 05:08:34 pm »

how did you get these numbers? you factoring in insurance, maintainence and electricity as well?

Strictly based on the current price of fuel and electricity. Insurance and maintenance costs are much lower for EVs, though battery costs will have an impact down the road.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 05:13:20 pm »

Not talking pitiful (U.S.) choices but talking plentiful (Europe) choices offering for small diesels. We should have these options here. This is from 2009 article to boot

l/100km     Mileage
                                                                                            mpg U.S.    
Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDI GreenLine DPF               80       4.1       57    
Volvo S40 / V50 1.6D DRIVe Start/Stop DPF    109       3.9       60    

(Formatting looked perfect before hitting post)

The Prius is right in the middle of your list with good fuel economy numbers, about the largest interior volume and the highest power output. Sub-compacts are a tough sell in the US, 75hp subcompacts would be unsellable.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 05:22:02 pm »
The numbers with the Jetta TDI are still better than the Cruze Eco, although marginally. But when you consider fuel costs, $150 every 16,000km to refill the AdBlue tank, you may as well tack on an extra dollar per 100km. I heard you could just add urine to the AdBlue tank and it'd work just fine to reduce emissions.