Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Ford Escape SE 4WD; Day 1  (Read 23935 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Ford Escape SE 4WD; Day 1
« on: November 07, 2012, 06:01:19 am »

James gets his first crack at the new, 2013 Ford Escape. First impressions include the notable features his tester doesn't come with.
Read More...

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Ford Escape SE 4WD; Day 1
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 07:51:10 am »
Will be looking forward to the Day 3 fuel consumption report out. Given the AWD and winter fuel we have now, it should be interesting to see what numbers the 1.6L puts up in real world driving.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 08:57:35 am »
Wow that's a lot of dough for this model, no?

Offline dutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 GMC Acadia, 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 10:43:45 am »
Debated waiting for the new Escape when we bought our Rav4. Have looked inside the ones in the showroom when i had the truck in for service. Nice, but it felt small on the inside. Be interesting to see what kind of fueleconomy you end up getting in "real life" conditions

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 11:27:56 am »
The lack of backup camara/sensor just doesn't make sense in a $35K CUV in this market.. WTH??

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +168/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 12:12:13 pm »
When I saw the "SE" trim level, I was happy that for once we'd be able to read about a more basic Escape...35k$? So much for that...

Looking forward to real-life mpg, still.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 01:07:39 pm »
Checking the Ford website shows the SE AWD starts at 29,099. Tester has $6,000 in options - ouch ! :P

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 01:08:12 pm »
When I saw the "SE" trim level, I was happy that for once we'd be able to read about a more basic Escape...35k$? So much for that...

Looking forward to real-life mpg, still.

I've noticed that for the last few years, Ford has charged more for their cars than they used to and the size of the jumps between models is quite steep.  In short, it gets up there quickly.  However, I've also noticed that their cars seem to be a lot better than they used to be.

So the question becomes:  Could it be that they are finally charging what they should have been charging all along but were prevented by such things as consumer perception of Ford as "one of the Big Three" along with the implied image of lower quality?

Discuss.  ;D
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 01:19:37 pm »
Checking the Ford website shows the SE AWD starts at 29,099. Tester has $6,000 in options - ouch ! :P

More like $5200 in options $1550 for freight ;)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 01:30:34 pm »

More like $5200 in options $1550 for freight ;)

Problem is, the value sinks as the options add up.

Last spring, I test-drove a 2012 Escape, a rare fwd manual. It had black leather interior, moon roof et all, and was incentived down ... to 24k$ + tx on the sticker. Right now, my local Costco has a 2013 Titanium on display, stickered at 42k$  :o

The new Escape is likeable, but I don't see it selling in the same volume as before at these prices. Leasing, maybe, but not selling. Makes a 33k$ CR-V EX-L seem like an outright bargain.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 01:31:55 pm »
Ugh,  that has to be the worst colour on the market right now.  Who approves that?

I quite like the Escape but think the new Santa Fe looks better.  In the end though, if the Ford drives better it would likely get my money.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 01:36:55 pm »
Ugh,  that has to be the worst colour on the market right now.  Who approves that?

I quite like the Escape but think the new Santa Fe looks better.  In the end though, if the Ford drives better it would likely get my money.

So far, I only drove a loaded 42k$ Titanium with the 2.0 Ecoboost, and it was the proverbial hoot to drive. It's not often that you go offramp-hunting in a compact SUV! Can't vouch for the rest of the line-up, though. The foot-wiggle hatch thing really works, but the trunk is class-average at best, and the rear bench is thin and hard. It's a driver's compact SUV, of all things.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 03:04:13 pm »
.. It's a driver's compact SUV, of all things.

Isn't that an oxymoron? Driver's SUV? Sport(wannabe)-less-Utility-Vehicle? Yet another proof car purchases are driven by emotion and marketing campaigns. $35k with a smaller engine and not fully loaded - that's premium/entry level luxury territory for a compact sized vehicle. Very ambicious of Ford, imho, but good luck.
I'll see how it fares long-term sales/reliability wise.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 03:17:25 pm »

Isn't that an oxymoron? Driver's SUV? Sport(wannabe)-less-Utility-Vehicle? Yet another proof car purchases are driven by emotion and marketing campaigns. $35k with a smaller engine and not fully loaded - that's premium/entry level luxury territory for a compact sized vehicle. Very ambicious of Ford, imho, but good luck.

...reason why I scored it lower for utility aspects on my crunch sheet in the comparo (Guide de l'Auto 2013). The smaller engine part works, though. The 2.0 is too much engine, really. If the 1.6 Ecoboost Escape can't beat a 2.4 liter CR-V on real-worl mpg, then why bother with the technology on a soccer mom / dad vehicle? I'd really like to see a test-drive of the base 2.5 litre model.

I do see a lot of new Escapes on the road, but many have rental fleet stickers on them. I haven't checked the incentives currently, but they have to be there.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 03:41:52 pm »

...reason why I scored it lower for utility aspects on my crunch sheet in the comparo (Guide de l'Auto 2013). The smaller engine part works, though. The 2.0 is too much engine, really. If the 1.6 Ecoboost Escape can't beat a 2.4 liter CR-V on real-worl mpg, then why bother with the technology on a soccer mom / dad vehicle? I'd really like to see a test-drive of the base 2.5 litre model.

I do see a lot of new Escapes on the road, but many have rental fleet stickers on them. I haven't checked the incentives currently, but they have to be there.

Insideline summed it up quite nicely in their comparison (2.0T Escape vs CR-V)

http://www.insideline.com/honda/cr-v/2012/2013-ford-escape-vs-2012-honda-cr-v-comparison-test.html

"...
It's not performance or features that draw most buyers to this segment. And beyond those, we're hard-pressed to find meaningful reasons to choose the Escape over the CR-V. Fuel economy and practicality are what sell small SUVs and those qualities endure prominently in the 2012 Honda CR-V. Sure, the CR-V doesn't break a lot of new ground in the segment, but it does honor the primary reasons people are drawn to small SUVs in the first place. Its combination of respectable fuel economy and a large, flexible interior is a potent one.
..."

Sure, the 1.6T Escape is about .5 seconds faster to 100 (EDIT: and actually slower in a quater-mile which is more indicative of performance IMO), and is rated at 1MPG better than the CRV but that's when running on premium fuel. And thus, given similar performance and fuel economy, my money would go to the CR-V with its better utility and less complexity.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 04:11:39 pm by whaddaiknow »

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 06:36:39 pm »
Does anyone else find the front and rear end styling overdone with the fake silver skidplates and the oversized chrome exhaust tips?

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 07:29:24 pm »
Does anyone else find the front and rear end styling overdone with the fake silver skidplates and the oversized chrome exhaust tips?

I don't really like the silver trim between the exhaust pipes.

Interesting that the Santa Fe does the same thing.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Think123

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 08:08:06 pm »
My wife has a Titanium Escape on order with all the options except the full leather seats for $700 - the standard leather and cloth sport seats were a great fit and were a selling point as this is the only model to have them.  As we had access to Ford X-Plan pricing, which is A-Plan X 4%, we got roughly 6% off invoice or basically what a decent negotiator would get if they shopped around.  Add in Costco $1000 and taking a credit of $750 instead of the free winter tire package and the pre-tax price was just over $39k all fees in and before GST - glad again to live in Alberta and only pay $2k in tax.  We decided to finance @0% for 4 years, saving another $4,000 compared to if you had to go for the standard 4.99% when it's the Employee Pricing (A-Plan) Event. 

All this to say, with the level of content, including the powered (and upgraded hands-free) hatch, blind spot and cross traffic sensors, nav, upgraded stereo and of course a pretty great handling and accelerating drivetrain, I wasn't cross shopping other entry level CUV's but testing it against GLK's, XC/60's and X3's.  Optioning those vehicles to the similar level and factoring in financing, taxes, need for premium fuel combined with much worse fuel economy plus higher insurance and we were looking at roughly a $20k premium for the (slightly more) premium brands.  So, when someone says that the top level Escape is not a good value versus the dull and ungainly looking CR-V, I simply look at it from the other side and say it's a great value versus the Euro CUV's.  And the Acura RDX is around $6k more with the tech package and makes me yawn looking at it.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 09:48:05 pm »
My wife has a Titanium Escape on order with all the options except the full leather seats for $700 - the standard leather and cloth sport seats were a great fit and were a selling point as this is the only model to have them.  As we had access to Ford X-Plan pricing, which is A-Plan X 4%, we got roughly 6% off invoice or basically what a decent negotiator would get if they shopped around.  Add in Costco $1000 and taking a credit of $750 instead of the free winter tire package and the pre-tax price was just over $39k all fees in and before GST - glad again to live in Alberta and only pay $2k in tax.  We decided to finance @0% for 4 years, saving another $4,000 compared to if you had to go for the standard 4.99% when it's the Employee Pricing (A-Plan) Event. 

All this to say, with the level of content, including the powered (and upgraded hands-free) hatch, blind spot and cross traffic sensors, nav, upgraded stereo and of course a pretty great handling and accelerating drivetrain, I wasn't cross shopping other entry level CUV's but testing it against GLK's, XC/60's and X3's.  Optioning those vehicles to the similar level and factoring in financing, taxes, need for premium fuel combined with much worse fuel economy plus higher insurance and we were looking at roughly a $20k premium for the (slightly more) premium brands.  So, when someone says that the top level Escape is not a good value versus the dull and ungainly looking CR-V, I simply look at it from the other side and say it's a great value versus the Euro CUV's.  And the Acura RDX is around $6k more with the tech package and makes me yawn looking at it.

A co-worker is shopping for a "base" Q5, and was cross-shopping the Tiguan - Audi guy is giving him the same 3k$ rebate as VW has right now - that's 37k$ + tx for the Audi. Tiggy is a good comparison with Escape - the Highline trim bridges the gap between "regular" and "premium" compact SUVs.

Your 39k$ makes more sense already than 42k$, but looking at the "U" part of "SUV", I paid 32k$ for my new Ody EX. Not as fun to drive as the full kit Escape, but it has the "U" part quite covered  :) ... looks cool in black, too.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 10:21:05 pm »
Your 39k$ makes more sense already than 42k$, but looking at the "U" part of "SUV", I paid 32k$ for my new Ody EX. Not as fun to drive as the full kit Escape, but it has the "U" part quite covered  :) ... looks cool in black, too.

Of course, while the Odyssey may have in the U part covered, the S part remains quite absent.  :)