Author Topic: I might get a GTI....  (Read 38420 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: I might get a GTI....
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2016, 01:51:49 am »
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 02:05:41 am by ArticSteve »

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2016, 06:52:09 am »
I've never actually seen a golf r here in Newfoundland.  I am only able to roll 15% of the msrp of the gti Into the purchase so that leaves me a little short to pay off the bmw.  With respect to optioning the gti, again we are extremely limited here, there are three available, all five doors wth autobahn packages.  The midnight blue has leather and there is a red with tech package as well.  It would be great if we had some options here but unfortunately we are literally at the end of the line for car delivery.

I am being offered 19,000 trade which really seems low but that's two dealerships with the exact same offer, might try one more but I have a feeling with our limited market that's it.  There is a nice 2015 ecoboost premium mustang that's been sitting around waiting for a new owner.  It's 0% for 6 years and all in it is $1000 less than the gti autobahn with leather.  For the same price as the gti it seems like a decent buy.

I can't believe this is post # 1000!

LOL. I chose exactly how I wanted my GTI, placed a factory order, and waited four months for them to build it and put it on a boat. You do have options.

(And congrats on the 1,000! :) )

I agree with Heli, never let that limit you.

You'll paying a lot of money, get exactly what you want.

I was just wondering how it would effect my trade if I had to wait four months, would they try to low ball me even more then know I had to buy the car or lose a deposit I would likely have to put down.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2016, 08:27:38 am »
http://jalopnik.com/consumer-reports-just-trashed-the-2015-volkswagen-gti-1607720202

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL.  These guys also trashed the WRX in the same episode so take that for what it is worth.

The GTI made C&D's ten best cars list for 2016: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/volkswagen-golf-gti-golf-r-2016-10best-cars-feature

North American Car of the Year in 2015: http://autoweek.com/article/detroit-auto-show/vw-golf-and-golf-gti-win-north-american-car-year

There are others but one gets the idea.

Heck, even Jeremy Clarkson just bought one.
Ooo car of the year award means a lot
2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser  :rofl2:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2016, 08:30:00 am »
I've never actually seen a golf r here in Newfoundland.  I am only able to roll 15% of the msrp of the gti Into the purchase so that leaves me a little short to pay off the bmw.  With respect to optioning the gti, again we are extremely limited here, there are three available, all five doors wth autobahn packages.  The midnight blue has leather and there is a red with tech package as well.  It would be great if we had some options here but unfortunately we are literally at the end of the line for car delivery.

I am being offered 19,000 trade which really seems low but that's two dealerships with the exact same offer, might try one more but I have a feeling with our limited market that's it.  There is a nice 2015 ecoboost premium mustang that's been sitting around waiting for a new owner.  It's 0% for 6 years and all in it is $1000 less than the gti autobahn with leather.  For the same price as the gti it seems like a decent buy.

LOL. I chose exactly how I wanted my GTI, placed a factory order, and waited four months for them to build it and put it on a boat. You do have options.

I was just wondering how it would effect my trade if I had to wait four months, would they try to low ball me even more then know I had to buy the car or lose a deposit I would likely have to put down.
On any trade you are Fack
Put it on kijiji / autotrader see what happens , by the way is not the economy tanking on the Rock any car may be a hard sale

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2016, 09:42:35 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5X9sUIbwoQ

2nd race approx. 2 min mark for v6 v eco.

mmmm manual vs automatic! not exactly 2.3T manual vs V6 manual.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2016, 09:44:02 am »

how much is Ford offering for your trade?
I bet you can knock down the price of that Mustang by a couple grand - given it's a 2015.

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2016, 09:53:17 am »

how much is Ford offering for your trade?
I bet you can knock down the price of that Mustang by a couple grand - given it's a 2015.

I didn't check yet but I might just to see where they would be, at least I would know for sure where I am at on a trade.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2016, 09:54:46 am »
How did this thread go from GTI to a Mustang? I see those two as different cars.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2016, 10:31:57 am »

If I understand how it works, the value of your trade-in will be what it is when you trade it in.

So the further in the future you trade it in, the less it'll be worth. But you also will have paid it off more, right?

If I understand correctly, you are concerned about being upside down? I don't know what your payment term is, but I'm guessing the car will have depreciated less in 4 months than the amount owing you would have reduced in those 4 months. A car's depreciation curve slows down as it gets older.

If you're worried though about what might happen in the future, and you really like that blue GTI, get it. I don't get the feeling you are really wanting a specific car as much as wanting to be rid of the BMW, not be upside down, and have something else you like.

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2016, 10:46:01 am »

If I understand how it works, the value of your trade-in will be what it is when you trade it in.

So the further in the future you trade it in, the less it'll be worth. But you also will have paid it off more, right?

If I understand correctly, you are concerned about being upside down? I don't know what your payment term is, but I'm guessing the car will have depreciated less in 4 months than the amount owing you would have reduced in those 4 months. A car's depreciation curve slows down as it gets older.

If you're worried though about what might happen in the future, and you really like that blue GTI, get it. I don't get the feeling you are really wanting a specific car as much as wanting to be rid of the BMW, not be upside down, and have something else you like.

Lots of great points there Julie, thanks.  I really like the GTI, I guess if I wait until next year I'll be less upside down and still have my warranty in effect.  The rate right now on the GTI is 2.9%, I don't see that going up much within a year.  Right now I am being offered $19,000 on trade, surely I will still be able to get $15,000 or more next year. 

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2016, 11:05:49 am »
Oh you'll still have warranty next year? You're in a better position then I thought then. If something else goes wrong, you'll be covered. Plus, you've got multiple cars, so you're not dependant on it for every day transportation.

You have time and choice then.

Including whether you want a Golf GTI/R or Mustang. Both are great choices, but they are quite different, and only you'll know which one you want more.

Pretend you're at a stop, and you're in a Golf GTI/R and an Eco-Boost Mustang rolls up next to you. Will you regret it and wish you had bought the Mustang?
Put yourself in the seat of the Mustang now, and repeat. Will you regret you didn't buy the GTI/R?

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2016, 12:14:04 pm »
+1, great advice Julie. I'd add that there is a seasonal sales factor that may exist there, perhaps in April/May the 3 could be sold privately for more than the tax savings on trade-in now (and likely its one and the same wholesaler lowballing the 3 when getting a trade in at the two dealerships?), if willing to do that. If so then the bargaining position when buying becomes easier.

I tried the sitting in the car at a light and looking at the other car. I invariably ended up wishing I was in the more expensive car!  :P 

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2016, 01:53:16 pm »
How did this thread go from GTI to a Mustang? I see those two as different cars.

He raised the Mustang as an option in a different thread...LOL

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2016, 03:32:53 pm »

Lots of great points there Julie, thanks.  I really like the GTI, I guess if I wait until next year I'll be less upside down and still have my warranty in effect.  The rate right now on the GTI is 2.9%, I don't see that going up much within a year.  Right now I am being offered $19,000 on trade, surely I will still be able to get $15,000 or more next year. 

If you believe oil will recovery to $60 plus in 2016 and stay there then the above may apply.

Currently auto companies selling in Canada have been absorbing the lion's share of the devaluation of the loonie.  If oil stays below $40 the loonie will drop lower and all pricing will finally reset to reflect the actual exchange rates.   This country will be in recession, NF will be in a severe recession and you might find that your Bimmer's resale will have completely tanked being the type of vehicle it is.

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2016, 03:51:30 pm »
Oh you'll still have warranty next year? You're in a better position then I thought then. If something else goes wrong, you'll be covered. Plus, you've got multiple cars, so you're not dependant on it for every day transportation.

You have time and choice then.

Including whether you want a Golf GTI/R or Mustang. Both are great choices, but they are quite different, and only you'll know which one you want more.

Pretend you're at a stop, and you're in a Golf GTI/R and an Eco-Boost Mustang rolls up next to you. Will you regret it and wish you had bought the Mustang?
Put yourself in the seat of the Mustang now, and repeat. Will you regret you didn't buy the GTI/R?

This is more great advice, I don't think I would regret not buying the Mustang, but I might the GTI.  If my BMW drove up and smoked me in the GTI that would be awkward.....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2016, 06:24:37 pm »
This is more great advice, I don't think I would regret not buying the Mustang, but I might the GTI.  If my BMW drove up and smoked me in the GTI that would be awkward.....

Doesn't matter what you buy, there can always be somebody faster than you.  Besides being on a track, I can't think of many places I can even enjoy my car to the fullest.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2016, 06:38:38 pm »
Doesn't matter what you buy, there can always be somebody faster than you.  Besides being on a track, I can't think of many places I can even enjoy my car to the fullest.

Today's draconian speed enforcement and busier-than-ever roads are one reason I love the Miata so much - lots of fun without handcuffs.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2016, 06:47:35 pm »
How are the roads on the Rock ?
Are they hard on cars ?

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2016, 07:21:09 pm »
How are the roads on the Rock ?
Are they hard on cars ?

Its pothole city here from December to April, I bust at least one tire / rim per year.  So yes very hard on cars.

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2016, 08:35:36 pm »
Just getting back to the Mustang vs GTI, the Mustang Ecoboost Premium is basically the same price as the GTI Autobahn Leather I was looking at.  The Mustang now has 0% financing and I'm sure they will do better on price.  I just get the feeling the GTI will hold up better in the long run and although it is 100 hp less than the mustang it did have plenty of peppyness.  I think what I need is a trip to Ford to put my mind at ease either way....