Author Topic: Summer/Winter Outdoor Gear Thread  (Read 73401 times)

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
Re: Summer/Winter Outdoor Gear Thread
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2015, 08:34:35 am »
Picked up a pair of these AKU hikers today at my favorite outfitter store in Fredericton.  I prefer a full leather boot and was actually leaning toward the Asolo GTXs and the store rep turned me onto these instead.  They recently took on this line after they dropped Vasque due to poor customer service. These things seem to be really well put together and what I like most is that they are fully lined with a comfy glove like leather, which is unusual at this price point.   They are also made in Italy which is surprising since they were a little cheaper than the Chinese-made Asolo and Merrells. 

My wife wanted a pair also, but none in her size as usual.  The guy said he would place an order for hers and will be in within the next two weeks.

Which one is that?

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2015, 09:00:12 am »
Picked up a pair of these AKU hikers today at my favorite outfitter store in Fredericton.  I prefer a full leather boot and was actually leaning toward the Asolo GTXs and the store rep turned me onto these instead.  They recently took on this line after they dropped Vasque due to poor customer service. These things seem to be really well put together and what I like most is that they are fully lined with a comfy glove like leather, which is unusual at this price point.   They are also made in Italy which is surprising since they were a little cheaper than the Chinese-made Asolo and Merrells. 

My wife wanted a pair also, but none in her size as usual.  The guy said he would place an order for hers and will be in within the next two weeks.

Which one is that?

Radical Edge.  Good selection, service and knowledgeable staff!  There's a relatively new outfitter here in quispamsis that we've been supporting, but their selection is limited.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 09:01:48 am by KarlsDarwin »

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2015, 06:30:56 pm »
Yeah they're great. As is Savage's for bicycles.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2015, 01:15:35 pm »
I bought some Ecco Biom GTX hiking boots that were on clearance. For under $200 I figured a full Gore Tex leather/hybrid boot was a good deal. Now I wear Ecco dress/casual almost exclusively as they fit my wide feet without fail. I have never used any of their outdoor stuff so we will see how it goes. I typically go for a heavier leather boot (Zamberlain) but these look like they will function as a day boot as well as some light overnight trips.

Yak leather/Gore Tex and a nice wide toe box are this boots claim to fame.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2015, 01:24:35 pm »
I wish that we'd get leather boots with no Gore-Tex.  I want leather, or Gore-Tex, not both.  The best boots I have are a pair of old Salomon SM Expert mountaineering boots that are made of heavy 3mm Perwanger leather.  Treated, the leather is both breathable and waterproof.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #125 on: May 25, 2015, 01:29:37 pm »
I agree as these are my first Gore Tex boots and I am worried about breathability.  These are replacing a pair of traditionally stich sole  Zamberlains (on the second set of soles) that have been great. It appears though that my feet are flattening with age and my toes are now brushing the ends. The boots outlasted my feet!

I treated the leather anyway so I am not sure what the point of the Gore Tex is.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2015, 11:23:30 am »
Picked up a pair of these $290 TNF insulated Gore-Tex pants for $90!  Mine are black with blue accents.  Bring on the snow!  (Okay, maybe not just yet.)   :rofl2:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2015, 12:47:30 pm »
Will be interested to see some real world testing of this solar charger once it comes to market.

http://www.gearinstitute.com/gear-news/gear-institute-top-stories/item/solar-paper-will-recharge-your-gadgets-using-the-sun

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Summer/Winter Outdoor Gear Thread
« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2015, 04:41:57 pm »
I'm becoming more reliant on juice in the backcountry so super-light solar is something I'm interested in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2015, 05:00:46 pm »
I'm becoming more reliant on juice in the backcountry so super-light solar is something I'm interested in.

I guess it depends how long you're gone.  You might not need any solar, just a charging brick.  They can usually charge a cell phone a dozen times.

What about a Bio-Lite stove?  Recharges things while you're cooking.  They make some decent stuff.  And finally, I got to goof around with Goal Zero solar array.  Was small, easily packable and was about $100.

What did you have in mind specifically?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Summer/Winter Outdoor Gear Thread
« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2015, 08:49:59 pm »
Bio-Lite is super cool but I spend a lot of time in the alpine so so fuel for it isn't available.

I use a battery stick now and it will charge my phone at least once plus my watch a couple of times. Works well for trips up to four or five days easily.

What I'd like light solar for is climbing trips with a larger group where we have quite a few devices on the go and we are out for a week or so. I've seen lots of GoalZero stuff in the field lately and it looks like solid gear. Might try one out.

I used to use my phone for music and games during down time. But now the new topo map apps are fantastic. It's a great nav device now, as good or better than dedicated hand held GPS units. Serious strides have been made there.

My ABC watch is also rechargeable and can burn through a full charge quickly if I'm using the GPS in fine detailed tracking mode.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2015, 08:56:57 pm »
Bio-Lite is super cool but I spend a lot of time in the alpine so so fuel for it isn't available.

I use a battery stick now and it will charge my phone at least once plus my watch a couple of times. Works well for trips up to four or five days easily.

What I'd like light solar for is climbing trips with a larger group where we have quite a few devices on the go and we are out for a week or so. I've seen lots of GoalZero stuff in the field lately and it looks like solid gear. Might try one out.

I used to use my phone for music and games during down time. But now the new topo map apps are fantastic. It's a great nav device now, as good or better than dedicated hand held GPS units. Serious strides have been made there.

My ABC watch is also rechargeable and can burn through a full charge quickly if I'm using the GPS in fine detailed tracking mode.

You could use solar.  Or just a brick large enough for you.  And everyone could buy their own, couldn't they instead of having to invest in the solar array and hope the guy with the solar array is coming?  I'm not sure how your trips and partnering on your trips work, so please excuse my ignorance.  How many mAh is your current stick charger for comparison sake??

I'm guessing this works with your camp stove and 10 watts too.  Though it seems a bit cumbersome to pack perhaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJDX9TPImiA

http://www.biolitestove.com/products/biolite-kettlecharge

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 24, 2015, 01:58:05 am »
Jon...looks like these pots/cups can charge things under any stove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m8-qRfw-pc

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2015, 07:02:05 pm »

Finally after almost 3 months of searching my wife found a pair of hikers that fit her.  Seems ridiculous, but most stores in these parts don't stock anything below size 7 (including the brand new Cabelas) and I advised her against buying online.  They brand is anhu and not exactly what she was looking for, but she liked the look and comfort so she snapped them up as they were the only decent ones in the store in her size.  I've always been of the opinion that the fewer seams for hikers the better, but they seemed well built and she liked the look and comfort. 

She bought them at a small outfitter store in NS while we were on vacation and on the day we were leaving. About an hour or so after buying them we went for a good hike and she started complaining that one seemed a much tighter fit that the other.  Not to the point of causing pain, but a little discomforting none the less.  Must be a manufacturing defect, but kinda late now as the store is almost a 5 hour drive from home.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 07:05:50 pm by KDS2K »

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 12, 2015, 07:08:42 pm »

Finally after almost 3 months of searching my wife found a pair of hikers that fit her.  Seems ridiculous, but most stores in these parts don't stock anything below size 7 (including the brand new Cabelas) and I advised her against buying online.  They brand is anhu and not exactly what she was looking for, but she liked the look and comfort so she snapped them up as they were the only decent ones in the store in her size.  I've always been of the opinion that the fewer seams for hikers the better, but they seemed well built and she liked the look and comfort. 

She bought them at a small outfitter store in NS while we were on vacation and on the day we were leaving. About an hour or so after buying them we went for a good hike and she started complaining that one seemed a much tighter fit that the other.  Not to the point of causing pain, but a little discomforting none the less.  Must be a manufacturing defect, but kinda late now as the store is almost a 5 hour drive from home.  ::)

Why would you advise her from buying online?  Some places have a free return policy specifically for footwear because of the difficulty in fitting.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2015, 07:27:38 pm »

Why would you advise her from buying online?  Some places have a free return policy specifically for footwear because of the difficulty in fitting.

Oh I'm quite aware of that as she has purchased at least 10 pairs of shoes in the last few months and returned almost half as she either didn't like how they looked, felt, fit or whatever and its always me that has to make the trip to the courier to return them. I just figured it was more important to make sure hikers fit properly than dress, or casual shoes.  She has the worst luck with shoes/boots.

Ps: how come you didn't answer my PM regarding the Amsoil order?  :)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 12, 2015, 07:28:48 pm »
^^Something is screwed up with my PM notifications.  It doesn't show as having new PMs.  Will respond ASAP.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2015, 07:29:46 pm »
^^Something is screwed up with my PM notifications.  It doesn't show as having new PMs.  Will respond ASAP.

Good!  Shane and I need a fix!  :P. Your regular email is faked as well.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2015, 07:47:28 pm »

Finally after almost 3 months of searching my wife found a pair of hikers that fit her.  Seems ridiculous, but most stores in these parts don't stock anything below size 7 (including the brand new Cabelas) and I advised her against buying online. 

My daughter wears a Ladies 5.5/6 and try to buy mountaineering boots on that size!!  OMG.  Anything of a specialty nature is ridiculously hard for her.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2015, 07:49:30 pm »

Good!  Shane and I need a fix!  :P. Your regular email is faked as well.

Yea..it's my email I've had for 20+ years.  Bell says "We're no longer offering your internet service in your area".  So there went my e-mail.  Jerks.

You'll like my new one.   ;D

**EMAIL SENT**
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 08:02:47 pm by rrocket »