Author Topic: My FGC ownership - Part 2  (Read 45229 times)

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
Re: My FGC ownership - Part 2
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2015, 11:56:15 am »
And you should contact MB Canada.

Sent an email to MB Canada

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2015, 01:11:28 pm »
And you should contact MB Canada.

Sent an email to MB Canada
They are usually really good about responding to these types of things.

On my dad's ML, I complained to them about the blown rear shocks post warranty on vehicle with not even 60 k kms.  They covered about 85% of the cost of the replacement.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2015, 02:12:20 pm »
I dunno man. That actually sounds fairly standard dealer experience. I think the takeaway from this is that if you want to avoid the situation above you need to a) avoid the dealer and go FGC indi, and b) don't buy a [used] FGC.

Not like all FGCs are bad(IE my parents enjoyed their Cayenne for 5 years and over 100000 miles with not a single issue), but I would fully expect and accept it if I owned one and something went. It's the price you pay for glory.

Not to say your situation isn't unfortunate and frustrating. It certainly is.

I agree with the above, although I would certainly expect a CPO car to be fixed under warranty if it covered that specific issue.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2015, 06:44:16 am »
I just saw this thread late yesterday. Firstly, welcome to the club!  ;D 

Secondly, I'm pretty sure the 2/40 CPO warranty from MB has far more exclusions than the 2/80 extended warranty that they offer for sale. The only major exclusions on the 2/80 is the stereo system, paint, trim and wear items. Also, there is no deductible. I seem to remember being told one time that if I was to buy a CPO'd car and wanted to upgrade to the 2/80 (about a $3200 cost on a ML)  they would discount the car by $1200 to account for the cost of not including the 2/40 CPO and then sell me the 2/80.  Did the dealer you bought from offer you the upgrade?

Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2015, 09:50:34 am »
^ interesting pricing, that's saying something for sure.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2015, 11:14:56 am »
I just saw this thread late yesterday. Firstly, welcome to the club!  ;D 

Thanks, this is not my 1st FGC. I had a new 3-series that was in the Show 'n Shine thread here about 4 years ago. The 3-er, while a great car, didn't hit the right chord as I always wanted a Merc since I was a little kid.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure the 2/40 CPO warranty from MB has far more exclusions than the 2/80 extended warranty that they offer for sale. The only major exclusions on the 2/80 is the stereo system, paint, trim and wear items. Also, there is no deductible. I seem to remember being told one time that if I was to buy a CPO'd car and wanted to upgrade to the 2/80 (about a $3200 cost on a ML)  they would discount the car by $1200 to account for the cost of not including the 2/40 CPO and then sell me the 2/80.  Did the dealer you bought from offer you the upgrade?

Yes, the CPO has a lot of exclusions. The dealer did offer me the 2/80 extended warranty upgrade at something around $3,000 but did not offer any discounts you mention to account for the cost of 2/40 CPO.

My hope was that since I am purchasing a CPO car from a dealer that it would last a year before sh1t started to happen to it. I don't mind paying extra for dealer service. I don't like dealer taking my money and offering nothing back. That's my beef.
I didn't expect the MB Tex to rip at the seam (no, it cannot be stitched back together) at 4 year mark. I got a quote to fix it for $425+HST at which point it is better to replace the cushion with a brand new one which will cost about the same.

I also expected some goodwill on the part of MB given I've only owned this car for a few months and it's a CPO. But guess what, I emailed them and haven't heard back from them. I called MB customer service, was transferred to someone who wasn't there so I left a detailed message, and they still haven't returned my call. That's what I did not expect.

I will get the car all properly fixed and will enjoy it for as long as I can. But this will be my last MB given the level service I have received so far. I expected a tad more from "The Best Or Nothing".

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2015, 11:19:48 am »
Tweet them.  Tweeting seems to get companies going as it's very public.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2015, 11:40:44 am »
That's what my wife told me, too  :)
My first tweet just sent!!! Not sure I did it right though :) I don't like social media.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2015, 12:22:13 pm »
I found front line MB customer service fairly unimpressive when I contacted them regarding the long litany of issues I have had with the ML. It was actually one of the dealer principals at my local dealership that took the issue further up the line at MB Canada head office and got them to kick in ( along with him) on the complimentary 2/80 warranty extension. (Kudos to Tri Star Mercedes Benz in Saint John)

I have the feeling that the more mainstream and higher volume MB has become, the more their (formerly) exceptional customer service has declined to "ordinary levels.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:24:30 pm by sailor723 »

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2015, 01:58:36 pm »

The tweet worked  :)
At least someone on the other end responded. Curious what, if anything, happens next.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2015, 03:13:30 pm »
chilling! experiences like this is why I always ended up going back to my Ford dealer! Sorry to hear about your troubles....

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2015, 10:32:08 am »
Do people in Germany complain about FGC ownership?

I recall reading somewhere that one of the reasons there are more FGC reliability issues in North America is because cars are driven to far higher milages here than Europe. Not sure if that makes sense though.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2015, 11:30:23 am »

I recall reading somewhere that one of the reasons there are more FGC reliability issues in North America is because cars are driven to far higher milages here than Europe. Not sure if that makes sense though.

The weather and road conditions are much worse here for sure.

Northernridge

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2015, 11:35:09 am »

I doubt it's the higher mileage...at least based on what we see on this forum. Lots of low mileage issues. Maybe they export the crappy vehicles for sh!ts and giggles...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2015, 11:38:11 am »

I doubt it's the higher mileage...at least based on what we see on this forum. Lots of low mileage issues. Maybe they export the crappy vehicles for sh!ts and giggles...

didn't we hear from some of the european members of the forum that europeans don't have as high expectations of rocksolid reliability from their cars as we do here?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Northernridge

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2015, 11:39:04 am »
We have european members?

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2015, 11:40:12 am »

didn't we hear from some of the european members of the forum that europeans don't have as high expectations of rocksolid reliability from their cars as we do here?

Expectations probably has a lot to do with it.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2015, 11:59:01 am »
Toyota and Honda attacked the North American market and ended up setting the reliability bar very high - creating consumer expectations of long, trouble free motoring.  They don't have the same level of success in Yurp - many more brands are available there.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2015, 12:11:26 pm »

The tweet worked  :)
At least someone on the other end responded. Curious what, if anything, happens next.

So I tweeted them and the next day got a call from a lady I had left a message for 5 days prior to that.
We chat for a few minutes, she said she had opened a case, and both the regional manager and service manager at the dealer would be directly overseeing this and that someone would contact me today (that was on the 24th). Well, 3 days later - silence, nothing, nada, zilch.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2015, 12:12:20 pm »

I have exactly the same expectations, I don't think that is any different across the pond than it is here...