Author Topic: Road Trip: Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Arctic Drive; Part III  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Road Trip: Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Arctic Drive; Part III
« on: February 11, 2013, 06:30:07 am »

In this final chapter, the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter proves it is indeed an ice road trucker.

Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Road Trip: Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Arctic Drive; Part III
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 08:22:24 am »
While the article was an interesting travel story and I'm sure a great time was had by the journalists I really don't see the relevance to the majority of the readers of this site. I mean, who's really interested in these vehicles other than delivery drivers or airport shuttle operators?  I would have been far more interested in reading about how the diesel ML and GL support vehicles faired on the trip.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 08:27:27 am »
While the article was an interesting travel story and I'm sure a great time was had by the journalists I really don't see the relevance to the majority of the readers of this site. I mean, who's really interested in these vehicles other than delivery drivers or airport shuttle operators?  I would have been far more interested in reading about how the diesel ML and GL support vehicles faired on the trip.

They were bullet proof really.  Never and issue other than broken windshields from rocks

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:39:21 am »
Sounds like this adventure was as much as a test of man and the environments he lives in, as much as it is about the vehicles.
Really lends to those indigenous people who managed to survive without late technology.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 09:58:46 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 09:37:51 am »
 Man..it must be expensive to drive on these roads with all the broken wind-shields..Looking at pictures of various custom iterations of the Sprinter, I wonder why M/B never came up with a pick-up version of this chassis/engine combo..Sounds perfect..What do you think?? Jack

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 01:45:40 pm »
Just wanted to say I really enjoyed all three parts of this story.  And for those interested, there are lots more beautiful photos besides the thumbnails in the the article.  None of the major incident, understandably.

Do they make this van with dual rear wheels?  Were the truckers interested in them?
And some cretins think I hate cars.