Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 1068067 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #2920 on: January 23, 2015, 02:44:55 pm »
look at that!  Maybe I can! LOL
the route looks pretty nice.   I'll have to see what's in our schedule and I think this might be something to consider.   My Mrs wants to do this Montreal bike tour which I think is 100k.   She needs to work her way up and events like this (doing the 50k or even 60k) would be what she needs.   Our longest ride together has been about 50k.   I'd love to do the 100k but I also love to ride with my Mrs.   ;)

I do to but not during these events and she is perfectly fine with that. Hope you guys can fit it in your schedule. Would be great to finally meet you.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: January 23, 2015, 02:45:44 pm »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2922 on: January 23, 2015, 04:23:39 pm »

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #2923 on: January 26, 2015, 09:07:58 am »
the route looks pretty nice.   I'll have to see what's in our schedule and I think this might be something to consider.   My Mrs wants to do this Montreal bike tour which I think is 100k.   She needs to work her way up and events like this (doing the 50k or even 60k) would be what she needs.   Our longest ride together has been about 50k.   I'd love to do the 100k but I also love to ride with my Mrs.   ;)

I do to but not during these events and she is perfectly fine with that. Hope you guys can fit it in your schedule. Would be great to finally meet you.

fingers crossed! 
does the even sell out?   This spring we'll start to look at all the events we're planning on this summer.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: January 26, 2015, 10:00:57 am »

fingers crossed! 
does the even sell out?   This spring we'll start to look at all the events we're planning on this summer.

Not yet but I personally think they should be putting a cap on it soon as its getting pretty big. I think part of that is because the cost is crazy cheap at ONLY $25 or $30 same day and that includes a nice small lunch. Normally we wait until the event gets close and watch the forecast. The last 3 (or I have done 4) years have been great though. Cool and sunny start then it warms up quite nice.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2925 on: January 27, 2015, 09:48:06 am »
IMO a little weight gain (~5 pounds) is ok in the off season.  Well I'm up 10 pounds and I can hardly get my legs into my 501 jeans  :P Going to back off the 100 squats and leg presses each day. Typically I spend 50-60 minutes in the gym each morning then do HIT on the bike trainer for 30-50 minutes every second day. I'm eating like a pig ;D

I'm also up 9 pounds but mine is from December where I sit around eating, drinking and watching movies. I won't lie, I really enjoy that break from cycling/training. Its too bad you live in Oakville as I would have the perfect personal trainer for you. One of the things/people I will miss not being in Toronto anymore. He did wonders for me and I rarely picked up any weights. Oh wait, just remembered that you already met KC on that ride we did up in Goodwood.

Mark June 14th on your calendar for Tour de Grand (Cambridge).

http://www.cambridgetourdegrand.com/

Hoping to have our own little group this year as a couple of buddies from London should be coming. If you keep training like you are, we will put you at the front. We will be doing the 100K route.

That looks like fun - though not sure I will be ready for my first 100k by June.  As usual, I am doing fack all squared fitness-wise over the winter.  :-[ Hoping we have a good early spring for riding.

Are we going to get a forum group together for a more leisurely distance ride of some kind this summer?
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: January 27, 2015, 11:45:16 am »
That looks like fun - though not sure I will be ready for my first 100k by June.  As usual, I am doing fack all squared fitness-wise over the winter.  :-[ Hoping we have a good early spring for riding.

Are we going to get a forum group together for a more leisurely distance ride of some kind this summer?

No excuses plus there are plenty of routes for everybody. Decide how long you want to be out riding for and then pick the appropriate distance.

8:00am - 160 km
8:30am - 100 km
9:00am - 60 & 72 km
9:30am - 40 & 50 km
10:00am - 25 km
10:30am - 10 & 15 km

In the mean time, start training today. Not tomorrow, TODAY. Work out at home, go walking, hiking. Buy an indoor bike trainer or join a spin class. All the little things you do now will make cycling season that much better.

I'm always up for a fun group ride. Once cycling season starts we should try and pick some dates.

I also can't wait for spring and have already been planning out new routes. Did this one this morning, can't wait to test ride it.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6879126

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: January 27, 2015, 12:52:06 pm »
hey Quad,

have you heard of this race?
http://www.parisancaster.com/

they used to dub this as a mountain race but the focus has changed to more of a cyclocross race.
you get 20% mountain bikes and 80% cyclocross.   It's in April and is perfect to launch a season.
it's hell if the weather isn't great, which is almost every year.
I've done the 70k (used to be 60K) two or three times.  while it's a great course, it's expensive and you get a crappy Subway sandwich.  We still get plenty of people from our club doing it.   

you get plenty of road, dirt road, dirt rail path, some small single track section and famous mud shoots. (when wet)    If the weather is bad it will destroy your bike and that's one reason I don't really do it anymore.

If I ever get a cyclocross bike and plan a serious racing season again, I'll do it.   :rofl2:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: January 27, 2015, 01:48:55 pm »
hey Quad,

I know that one and I even did it once. Got lucky the year I did it as it was dry and a nice day. I talked one of my women friends into entering also so she did the 1/2 course and came in third for her age group.

Have to love the internet, found my old time. I finished 489/699 and I remember starting too far back and couldn't move up as it was traffic jam after traffic jam. Not that it would make much of a difference. Also remember working my way up through a group to find out that a girl has been doing all the pulling. Love strong women that can drop guys.

http://www.parisancaster.com/Results/P2A2003/pa2003_60km_overall.htm

This has to be one of the oldest races/events that happen every year. Good to see that its still going on. Agree on how bad it could be with mud though. Too bad I don't have any bikes for dirt anymore.

I also use to do one put on by Wizards of Wheels in Mansfield. Think it was 50 or 80km long and I was toast by the end of it. Thought that was a great event.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: January 27, 2015, 02:08:29 pm »
hey Quad,

I know that one and I even did it once. Got lucky the year I did it as it was dry and a nice day. I talked one of my women friends into entering also so she did the 1/2 course and came in third for her age group.

Have to love the internet, found my old time. I finished 489/699 and I remember starting too far back and couldn't move up as it was traffic jam after traffic jam. Not that it would make much of a difference. Also remember working my way up through a group to find out that a girl has been doing all the pulling. Love strong women that can drop guys.

http://www.parisancaster.com/Results/P2A2003/pa2003_60km_overall.htm

This has to be one of the oldest races/events that happen every year. Good to see that its still going on. Agree on how bad it could be with mud though. Too bad I don't have any bikes for dirt anymore.

I also use to do one put on by Wizards of Wheels in Mansfield. Think it was 50 or 80km long and I was toast by the end of it. Thought that was a great event.

COOL!!!

I did a quick search (got me thinking)  and I found 2008 results.
time: 2:46:59 (we almost had the same time - but different year!!!)
they had these results by age... 149/288 in that group
http://www.parisancaster.com/Results/P2A2008/08P2A_age.htm

the start IS brutal.... always a big train if you can't get in the front.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2930 on: January 27, 2015, 04:45:03 pm »
I also can't wait for spring and have already been planning out new routes. Did this one this morning, can't wait to test ride it.

That looks good.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #2931 on: January 27, 2015, 07:24:25 pm »
Just ordered 200 studs for my Fat Bike tires. Took a couple of nasty spills on ice so these should take care of this. They seem fairly easy to install to and you can remove them for the summer season! Will get them tomorrow and istall Thursday night.

http://www.gripstuds.com/1000_Tire_Stud.php

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: January 28, 2015, 04:17:09 pm »
Just ordered 200 studs for my Fat Bike tires. Took a couple of nasty spills on ice so these should take care of this. They seem fairly easy to install to and you can remove them for the summer season! Will get them tomorrow and istall Thursday night.

you'll love the studs.  I've got the same option but haven't done it yet.   We're in a pretty icy periods right now in which I'm being forced to slow down and go easy in some corners.   The folks with spikes have no such issues and to push me to buy studs, a buddy had me try his fatbike on a frozen canal.   Crazy how good the grip and traction is!

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #2933 on: January 28, 2015, 04:25:04 pm »

you'll love the studs.  I've got the same option but haven't done it yet.   We're in a pretty icy periods right now in which I'm being forced to slow down and go easy in some corners.   The folks with spikes have no such issues and to push me to buy studs, a buddy had me try his fatbike on a frozen canal.   Crazy how good the grip and traction is!

For me it's not about performance but about staying upright! I really could have hurt myself badly in one of those crashes.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: January 28, 2015, 04:48:33 pm »

For me it's not about performance but about staying upright! I really could have hurt myself badly in one of those crashes.

oh, I understand!   I've been lucky so far, only one bad crash and that was on a hard packed gravel connector  as it had started freezing rain.  I was done without ANY notice, bowling for dollars LOL
I don't care about the performance in the winter, so I haven't blown money on the spikes and so far have managed to mainly be upright!

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #2935 on: January 29, 2015, 07:12:45 am »
Possibly of interest?
Railton
------------------------------------------------------
GREAT EUROPEAN CYCLE TOURS BETWEEN MAJOR CITIES manny agulnik.........(General Comments) SEE

Prague to Berlin

Amsterdam to London

Copenhagen to Oslo

Prague to Vienna

Berlin to Copenhagen

London to Paris

Rome to Florence

Vienna to Budapest

Some of the many self-guided tours available between special cities.We are working to post all of these and more. Email magulnik@gmail.com what may be your interest,

Ottawa to Kennebunkport has space on both four day cycling tours and one day back on the bus.
Spring date May 28th returning June 1st
Summer date July 23rd returning July 27th.
4 nights accommodation with breakfasts, three dinners, daily hospitality suite, luggage moved daily and SAG patrolling the route.
On the okcycletours.com website or just email for the flyer or with questions.

manny agulnik
http://www.trirudy.com/profile.cfm?member=4565
magulnik@gmail.com
manny
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: January 30, 2015, 01:08:23 am »

That looks good.

Tested it out with my car and it needs some work as there are too many gravel sections. Back to the drawing board.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: January 30, 2015, 08:33:03 am »

That looks good.

Tested it out with my car and it needs some work as there are too many gravel sections. Back to the drawing board.

I got caught in a loooong gravel section on my 70k charity ride last summer.  It was not fun.  Except maybe for the one guy on a mountain bike who made us all temporarily jealous.  I wish the organizers had tested out the route in their cars a bit better.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: January 30, 2015, 08:57:05 am »

That looks good.

I got caught in a loooong gravel section on my 70k charity ride last summer.  It was not fun.  Except maybe for the one guy on a mountain bike who made us all temporarily jealous.  I wish the organizers had tested out the route in their cars a bit better.

Sometimes after creating the route the province will come along and change a road on the organizer. Sometimes there isn't any other road to use or they want to use. Either way gravel can really suck big time. I have a friend that ran a great charity ride for many years that has given up fighting with the province/cities as he ends up giving more the to the govt than the charity.

I use to incorporate some gravel section when I rode up in Goodwood last year but they were very good sections where there is a beat down line to ride on. Really hate those 'they just threw down fresh gravel' roads where you feel like you are skating on ice.

All this gravel talk has got me excited about spring classics. Some of those races they don't give the pros any breaks.

Had to pick one with BMC in front.  ;D

And the mud.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: January 30, 2015, 10:14:01 am »
This gravel section I rode was big uneven chunks of gravel with a badly rutted surface underneath - I nearly wiped out twice.

I'm looking forward to having cycling on TV again big time.