Author Topic: Preview: 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia  (Read 8672 times)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Re: Preview: 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 02:56:38 pm »
I really like the styling of this car.  It ticks all the right things for me - Powerful turbo engine, RWD, manual transmission.  It would be awesome if AWD+manual transmission combo is to be had.

Only 3 problems:

1. Closest dealer is 1200kms away.
2. Italian car reliability scares me (looking at Fiat and knowing that Fiat is the parent company).  I mean I'd consider a German car more reliable to a certain extent.
3. Knowing #2, #1 is a huge problem

Same!...I really want an Alfa Romeo again, but damn...I've grown scared of reliability issues since my teens.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 04:30:31 pm »
I really like the styling of this car.  It ticks all the right things for me - Powerful turbo engine, RWD, manual transmission.  It would be awesome if AWD+manual transmission combo is to be had.

Only 3 problems:

2. Italian car reliability scares me (looking at Fiat and knowing that Fiat is the parent company).  I mean I'd consider a German car is substantially more reliable to a certain extent.
3. Knowing #2, #1 is a huge problem.

FTFY

Lol.  Thank you.  But they aren't the epitome of reliability.  It's like saying a Jaguar is more reliable than a Fiat.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 11:40:58 am by mixmanmash »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 05:37:49 pm »

Only 3 problems:

2. Italian car reliability scares me (looking at Fiat and knowing that Fiat is the parent company).  I mean I'd consider a German car more reliable to a certain extent.

Same!...I really want an Alfa Romeo again, but damn...I've grown scared of reliability issues since my teens.

that is what I am saying, it isnt 1980 anymore...I have a 97 Alfa that is on a platform from the early 90s, with an engine that essentially was designed in the early 80s...and it is fine. Take care of your car, it will take care of you.

I guess time will tell if these prove reliable, but Alfa has come leaps and bounds in reliability in Europe since the late 90s. Plus their transmissions and engines have always been reliable, it is the electrics that have always plagued the Italians. The 156 was solid, the 159 good too [even the electrics!] except for some brittle front suspension components on the AWD model. Yes, they are not Toyota, but they are not French either ;)

Plus, reliability is overrated in a modern car world - almost all cars are reliable these days, it isnt 1974 anymore where a car may or may not start on any given day, or blow up on the highway... At worst you will probably get...apart from wear and tear items which do not count...what...a failed sensor? A a loose trim piece? I have faith.

Oh and the snake eating the man thing, it is historical [snake is symbol of Milan and the man is a Saracen from the Crusades]. As a historian, I love that. The entire Alfa brand is steeped in history. Plus, a vegan might see that as poetic justice if it were to be taken literally...  :rofl:
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 05:54:50 pm »

Only 3 problems:

Plus, a vegan might see that as poetic justice if it were to be taken literally...  :rofl:
Yes, yes I know the history (story really) and I posted the comment as poetic justice as you are a vegan.
Carry on. ::)
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 06:39:37 pm »

Only 3 problems:

2. Italian car reliability scares me (looking at Fiat and knowing that Fiat is the parent company).  I mean I'd consider a German car is substantially more reliable to a certain extent.

FTFY

I know a couple Audi owners who would disagree with your edit. 

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2015, 07:48:51 pm »

Only 3 problems:

FTFY

yep - my B7 A4 2.0Ts cooked turbo and fouled PCV system was a nightmare - dumped that car and was upside down for a while because of it

Alfa has never steered me wrong :)

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2015, 11:36:19 am »

Only 3 problems:

FTFY

As would those unfortunate owners of Porsche 911s that had the IMS bearings let go and cause total catastrophic engine failure.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 11:39:13 am by mixmanmash »