Author Topic: How to know when your winter tires are kaput?  (Read 10173 times)

Offline Calbrez

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-10
    • View Profile
How to know when your winter tires are kaput?
« on: November 24, 2015, 08:35:21 am »
Hey folks,

Been driving on my Gislaved tires for 7 straight winters now... this will be my 8th.  They are definitely getting worn but I think I have another winter in them.. been avg about 7000KM for 50KM in total... and I don't drive my car hard. 

I can I know when they are done? What is the measurement scale?

thanks

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Re: How to know when your winter tires are kaput?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 09:44:44 am »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 09:55:15 am »

I don't use tires older than 6 years regardless of tread depth. I doubt I've used winter tires with less than 4mm tread depth.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 11:32:52 am »
^^ Pretty colours, but I wouldn't go by that chart for winter tires.

Most winter tires have a separate wear bar for winter, usually at around 6/32". Have a look on the sidewall for a little arrow or indicator to show you where to look. If that wear bar is even with the rest of the tread, you should probably replace them. But, 7 years is a long time and I'd replace them regardless.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 11:55:05 am »
^^ Pretty colours, but I wouldn't go by that chart for winter tires.

Most winter tires have a separate wear bar for winter, usually at around 6/32". Have a look on the sidewall for a little arrow or indicator to show you where to look. If that wear bar is even with the rest of the tread, you should probably replace them. But, 7 years is a long time and I'd replace them regardless.

6/32" =  4.76mm

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 04:08:20 pm »
The Michelin X-Ice Xi2s on the Corolla are still at 9/32" (or 7.14mm) and this will be their 6th season.  While the tread looks fine, the rubber compound is most certainly not as ideal as it was when the tires were new.  Despite having a ton of tread left (relatively speaking), I will keep them on this season but likely replace them next season.  The OEM tires were down to 4/32" and were cracking between the treads.  Definitely time to replace, and I honestly wish I replaced them sooner.

Don't find yourself in a position where you're wishing you did something sooner.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 04:15:28 pm »
The Michelin X-Ice Xi2s on the Corolla are still at 9/32" (or 7.14mm) and this will be their 6th season.  While the tread looks fine, the rubber compound is most certainly not as ideal as it was when the tires were new.  Despite having a ton of tread left (relatively speaking), I will keep them on this season but likely replace them next season.  The OEM tires were down to 4/32" and were cracking between the treads.  Definitely time to replace, and I honestly wish I replaced them sooner.

Don't find yourself in a position where you're wishing you did something sooner.

Why not run the Xice during a summer season then? That's what we're doing with the Rondo's old winters (Nordics - Thread is fine, but the winter grip is pretty awful albeit still better than AS tires)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 04:23:10 pm »

That is when a big HP RWD car comes into its own. Smokey parking lot burnout time! Or sell those tires to some cheapskate on Kijiji for $150 and buy new. I think that is what I will do with the Rovers Toyo G-02s (5 years old, 9/32 but traction seems greasy). I guess the walnut shells all fell out. ;)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 05:05:48 pm »
Why not run the Xice during a summer season then?
...because winter tires in the summer still result in poorer fuel economy (barely), more noise (barely), and larger stopping distances (much greater, actually).

https://www.kaltire.com/what-happens-when-you-use-your-winter-tires-all-year-round/

http://www.wheels.ca/news/tire-guideis-driving-on-winter-tires-in-summer-all-that-bad/

Offline Calbrez

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 08:12:34 pm »
I'm down to 5MM.  I am checking along the middle treads, and not down the middle. Is this correct?

I guess I should chance it.

CTC has the Hankooks for about $103 per tire -$40 rebate.  Pretty good deal.  Are they decent tires?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 08:53:03 pm »
I would not drive on Winter tires with only 5mm tread left.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Calbrez

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 10:34:22 pm »
I would not drive on Winter tires with only 5mm tread left.

I know, I've decided to change them... It's not my principle car anymore.. only drive it 2000 to 3000 KM per winter.. But I guess a 100 metres of driving is enough to get killed.

I also saw the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 at Costco online for $110 each for my size.  Not bad deal... APA rates them #1.