Author Topic: Monday Rant: Mirror, Mirror on the Door  (Read 14783 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Monday Rant: Mirror, Mirror on the Door
« on: July 15, 2013, 06:26:45 am »

Most drivers think they know how to adjust their mirrors' and most of them get it wrong. Do it right, and make blind spots history.

Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Monday Rant: Mirror, Mirror on the Door
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 06:57:01 am »
IIRC  Jim Kenzie was big on properly adjusted mirrors.    He always suggested that  the sides of your car are unlikely to crash into you so why do you need to see them.

It is not always that easy.  Last 4 cars.
2000 A4   the mirrors would not adjust quite far enough
2003 BMW 3.   Same so I bought the European bi-convex mirror which was perfect.
2008 GTI          Same         ditto
2013 MB-B       Not enough adjustment.  Local dealer could not find the Euro mirror in his online parts list
                       Had a friend in the UK try but I think he is not skilled in dealing with parts guys. That dealer
                       wanted vin and engine number  which of course would have led to a NA style flat mirror. Next
                       time I am in the UK or France I am sure I'll manage.

Ideally TC would insist on proper convex or bi-convex mirrors on the drivers side...but we know they won't.

As my car is not sold in the USA there is no English speaking aftermarket yet...maybe 2014 and the CLA will solve that one.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 07:46:57 am »
Kenzie was a stickler for proper mirror alignment and for good reason. 

But what we need is a campaign for mirrors that have built-in fisheye perspective.   Why can't there be a standard requiring full lateral coverage?

Cars are changing and they are becoming harder to see out of, particularly to the sides and rear.   Side mirrors need to reflect that new reality. (cough, cough)  Cameras don't cut it.  Even distorted, a mirror is far better. 

And as long as we are making new standards for side mirrors, let's make heated capability standard in this frosty country.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 08:05:57 am »
   If the mirrors cover more then the image will be smaller. I find that, for me anyway, the 08/13 Caravan can be adjusted with the above in mind very nicely. Also the side pillar allows for the side glance well, before pulling out. This was an improvement on the previous shape.
   The above can be aleviated by applying a stick-on magnifier to part of the mirror from CT or PA or possibly a dollar store. Hmmm...maybe a buck and a half now. Only cost a couple of dollars and work decently on the drivers side anyway. The image is too small and too far away on the passenger side.

Offline philmcneal

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-12
  • Hypermiler Enthusiast & E-Store Owner
    • View Profile
    • Do you believe that a bidet can increase your quality of life?
  • Cars: 2004 Toyota Prius, Town and Country Minivan, Chrysler 200,
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 09:28:29 am »
ITS ABOUT TIME SOMEONE WROTE AN ARTICLE LIKE THIS! Thank you! This pet peeve pissed me off so many times with my family members and friends!
The best car is one that is cheap to operate. If you are curious about bidets please visit my web site on how they can improve your quality of life!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 09:35:18 am »
I wish mirrors would have a back up mode that would move to a memory setting established by the driver for backing into tight spots...... especially in garages.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 09:46:05 am »
I wish mirrors would have a back up mode that would move to a memory setting established by the driver for backing into tight spots...... especially in garages.

Some cars have this, to a degree. The mirrors in our Genesis and Equus models automatically tilt down to help the driver back into tight spaces.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 10:06:19 am »

My Dad's 06 E-Class has this.  You can set the position you want when reversing and save it to memory.  Every time you put it in reverse, it moves to the position you set.  Brilliant feature.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 10:22:08 am »
These mirrors are awesome, Im looking to get a set for my truck for the best damn rear visibility you can get.

I dont know how many times Ive fought with my mother about her mirror placement, she places them basically hugging the body...... >:(
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline MJMontreal

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-19
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Current: 2013 Elantra GT, 2011 Yaris Previous: 2007 Caliber, 2005 Echo HB, 2003 Kia Rio, 2003 Focus, 2001 Jetta TDI, 1992 Golf Diesel
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 10:29:26 am »
I guess old habits do die hard... I have tried this but I don't like it. I guess you just have to stick with it until you're used to it.  My concern was for city driving -- I didn't feel that I could see a bike sneaking up on my side when I was turning or changing lanes.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 10:56:36 am »
The problem is you can't see when you are backing up. I've tried this and always changed them back.

Stick-on blind spot mirrors end up on every vehicle I drive. Same as Fobroader's idea in minature.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 11:06:46 am »
These mirrors are awesome, Im looking to get a set for my truck for the best damn rear visibility you can get.

I dont know how many times Ive fought with my mother about her mirror placement, she places them basically hugging the body...... >:(

Yea, lots of trucks have great mirrors...had these on the dodge. They were indestructible.

Yeah, but you cant put truck towing mirrors on some weenie little Civic, dont think it would have enough power to haul them around  ;D

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 11:16:31 am »
Yea, lots of trucks have great mirrors...had these on the dodge. They were indestructible.

Driving one of the work Dodges one time, playing with the mirrors and WTH? Didn't realize the transformer-like mechanism they had. Very clever.

Now the small V8 and no tow hitch meant it was just something that got stuck in the parking garage doors, but still, cool idea.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 11:24:27 am »

We special ordered those on the Suburban and they were fantastic. I've thought about putting another set on the Yukon, but they're pricey and the regular mirrors are pretty decent.

As for the SAE mirror adjustment thing, I've also tried it (twice over the years) but always go back to the old-school way. It's no replacement for a proper shoulder check, IMO, so what's the point? I like having my mirrors set so I can just see the side of the car for easy reversing into tight spaces.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 11:37:06 am »
Count me among the people who read Jim Kenzie's article and took it to heart.  It took a little while to get used to but every car I drive now has the mirrors set that way.  The size of the blind spot is significantly reduced meaning a shoulder check is just a quick looks sideways.

Somewhat related, I really like the side mirrors in the 5.  They're quite large for such a short vehicle and since you sit pretty close to them offer a great field of vision.  Not the sort of thing that stands out in a test drive but after you've backed into your 10th parking spot (something I always try to do) you are glad that you have them.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 12:39:30 pm »
the dodge truck ones are great... swear by them. the convex part is now rectangular and takes up the outside(normal position) 20%, or bottom(upright setting) 20%.... so much better.

now in our age of windtunnels, seems like we are getting smaller mirrors... harder to put an added convex on most cars. takes up half of the space!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 12:50:58 pm »
Extending mirrors are a boon for reversing trailers into a spot. Never had them but can see the advantage...hmmm next time maybe.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 01:53:22 pm »
I've been adjusting my mirrors using this method since I first heard about it. Lady Osis changes them back.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 02:57:15 pm »
I use stick-on convex mirrors on the driver's outside mirror.  I also adjust that mirror depending on whether I'm doing city or highway driving.  For highway driving, I set the mirror to see more behind me than beside me.  Maybe partly because highway driving often involves the cargo area piled high with stuff.  If you're going to see very far behind you, you are going to see the rear flank of your vehicle.

My formative driving years were in a truck, so I never became dependent on the inside mirror.

Which raises a point others mentioned.  The article assumes the inside mirror is fully functional.  With cars having 5 headrests, and high back ends, not to mention the proportions and loading of suv's, bicycle racks etc, the inside mirror is often severely compromised, and the positioning described in the article may itself be outdated.

The article also falls short in that it does not address added convex mirrors and the fact the passenger side mirror is universally convex these days.  Is the writer unaware of these things?

Almost regardless of the circumstances, I check the right outside mirror when turning right to make sure there are no cyclists there.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 02:59:14 pm »
^^Im not sure of the law, is a cyclist allowed to go between you and the curb if you are making a right hand turn or do they have to wait beside you. Ive had a few sneak in like that and then proceed to go straight....kinda dangerous.