Author Topic: Feature: Why AJAC Awards Matter  (Read 17185 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: Why AJAC Awards Matter
« on: November 13, 2012, 06:04:33 am »

Paul Williams tells us why AJAC's Canadian Car of the Year contest is an important tool for consumers.

Read More...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Feature: Why AJAC Awards Matter
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:40:34 am »
I am sorry ,I must disagree  your awards or worth 0 to me

I thinking of it as marketing tool and nothing more

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 08:52:21 am »
I wasn't going to bother posting, because somebody posts every year (and writes AJAC too) with the same thing. And nothing changes.

Yes there's lots of ammunition to show how AJAC is superior, and I agree, however "the chain is only as strong as its weakest link". Which, to create relevance (for people looking to buy/lease) and some balance, means having at least the previous year's winners (if not 2 years) in each active category back to undergo this: " each vehicle is driven back-to-back on the same day, in the same conditions and on the same roads". Either this is considered a very important part of the AJAC testing, or it isn't. Can't be both ways.

I also think the manufacturers have the "formula" figured out re: how AJAC factors in price. Which is to say, not much. The deal has become piling on as much stuff as possible to use up all the price cap in that category and massage the ratings in their favour, to override a car that is much cheaper and fairly close in the individual categories.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 08:52:47 am »
I agree with you. How can these awards matter when their categories are a huge clusterfuck that nobody understands?

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 10:34:04 am »

+1

They are what they are, paid marketing schlock. Not worth reading.   
"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Northernridge

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 01:56:52 pm »
The old, Let-me-tell-you-why-what-I-do-is-important-to-you approach never works. It just draws fire.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 03:39:23 pm »

+1

Gotta agree...I'm finding the best reviews/model info these days on youtube. Lots of 5-10 minute driving type reviews with a wide variety of viewpoints.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 03:57:49 pm »

+1

Gotta agree...I'm finding the best reviews/model info these days on youtube. Lots of 5-10 minute driving type reviews with a wide variety of viewpoints.

Youtube is great for that or how about getting a small list of cars and going out there and actually driving them. I honestly have never used the AJAC or ACOTY award as a guideline for buying a car.
Lighten up Francis.....

Northernridge

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 04:03:00 pm »
Consuming numerous reviews from various sources is the best bet. Easy to find and consume...heck, in 30 minutes you can learn an awful lot about a given car. Although more time consuming, following threads such as those on this forum are helpful as well – crowd-sourced reviews.

...I suppose it could get confusing for the casual surfer though when they find raging endorsements and scathing criticism for the same car in the same thread.

Scratch croud-sourced reviews.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 04:38:22 pm »
Consuming numerous reviews from various sources is the best bet. Easy to find and consume...heck, in 30 minutes you can learn an awful lot about a given car. Although more time consuming, following threads such as those on this forum are helpful as well – crowd-sourced reviews.

...I suppose it could get confusing for the casual surfer though when they find raging endorsements and scathing criticism for the same car in the same thread.

Scratch croud-sourced reviews.

Youtube reviews aren't a whole lot different. One reviewer will rave about a certain attribute of a car while another condemns it. Although, there are enough of them  to get a certain consensus most times.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 05:19:02 pm »

+1

Agree 100%
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 07:20:45 pm »
oh, i find its worth reading... i would never base a decision on them, but good to read. i'd like to just see the full breakdown that you can get on the ajac site for each car, without any alterations for "importance" or price...

let me decide whats important to me... as mentioned in the article, brakes more important than radio...

for me.. meh.. maybe not. all cars have an acceptable breaking system... not all have acceptable stereos.

i look at it as one more source of info. a flawed one, but what isn't? i'd tend to trust it more than the individual, occasionally extremely biased, individual reviews.

just proves difficult when you only get what the manufacturers gave you to test.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 07:40:37 pm »
I'll read this kinda of stuff when it's published but I would in no way EVER base my buying purchase of stuff like this.  From a buying perspective, I think it's utterly useless. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 09:00:47 pm »
I'll read this kinda of stuff when it's published but I would in no way EVER base my buying purchase of stuff like this.  From a buying perspective, I think it's utterly useless.

Agreed. It's nice to flog someone else's car for an hour, it's another thing to own it for a few years.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 09:41:31 pm »
The old, Let-me-tell-you-why-what-I-do-is-important-to-you approach never works. It just draws fire.

Point proven.  :rofl2:

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 10:04:27 pm »
I wasn't going to bother posting, because somebody posts every year (and writes AJAC too) with the same thing. And nothing changes.

Yes there's lots of ammunition to show how AJAC is superior, and I agree, however "the chain is only as strong as its weakest link". Which, to create relevance (for people looking to buy/lease) and some balance, means having at least the previous year's winners (if not 2 years) in each active category back to undergo this: " each vehicle is driven back-to-back on the same day, in the same conditions and on the same roads". Either this is considered a very important part of the AJAC testing, or it isn't. Can't be both ways.

I also think the manufacturers have the "formula" figured out re: how AJAC factors in price. Which is to say, not much. The deal has become piling on as much stuff as possible to use up all the price cap in that category and massage the ratings in their favour, to override a car that is much cheaper and fairly close in the individual categories.

I agree, manufactures have figured out where to put the car, and which trim to give it a better chance.  It should be up to the all powerful ajac, to select the model and trim, to put the car in the proper category, without duplicates, unless a different engine was being used.  I also like the idea of using the winner from previous years as a benchmark to see how the competition is catching up.  I find the best type of reviews, are the long term test drives, where the car has at least 2500km on it, ideally not the most practical, but I have read many reviews like this.  The day to day ones are quite good too, and the comparision tests!

I also like the used car reviews here on Autos, but find they wait until the next generation of that car is out before they review it.  So for example, there is no review on a 2009-2012 Mazda6, because the 2013 is not here yet.  As an alternative, I have to check Consumer Reports, they can claim similar things to Ajac, not for profit, but its nice that they offer reliability history, and drive the cars for more than a week.

By pooling all the resources available, Ajac test, autos.ca, consumer reports, and test drives, we are fortunate to have the necessary information to make an informed decision.  I don't agree with some of the winners on ajac, but by looking at how they got their scores, I research to see whether it's deserved or not, like the Subaru Crosstek, not deserved IMHO.

Northernridge

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 10:14:33 am »
I would be curious to learn what percentage of car buyers (new and used) even bother to look at any reviews at all before buying. I wouldn't be surprised if it is single digits.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 10:32:35 am »
I would be curious to learn what percentage of car buyers (new and used) even bother to look at any reviews at all before buying. I wouldn't be surprised if it is single digits.

Yeah but even if you don't read reviews per say, they contribute towards building the general opinion about cars. Even if you don't read the reviews yourself, your neighbor, co-worker, father, etc. may have, and when you casually discuss cars with them, they'll tell you "I heard that car A is better than car B for this or that reason"... after you hear this a couple of times, you'll start forming an opinion on these cars, all without driving any of them.

Northernridge

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 10:34:26 am »

Yeah but even if you don't read reviews per say, they contribute towards building the general opinion about cars. Even if you don't read the reviews yourself, your neighbor, co-worker, father, etc. may have, and when you casually discuss cars with them, they'll tell you "I heard that car A is better than car B for this or that reason"... after you hear this a couple of times, you'll start forming an opinion on these cars, all without driving any of them.

That's probably exactly how it goes.