Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST  (Read 21318 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST
« on: July 06, 2012, 04:05:28 am »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: First Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 06:13:30 am »
So far I think I want one.  Just have to see how VW compete with the Mk VII  GTI.   

I really hope the ST will sell so as MKII suggested, we might then get the RS  but I think Ford's engineers would be well advised to get a perfect ( or as good as the DSG/DCT/PDK) Powershift transmission in the ST for the 90% of people who just won't consider a manual.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 07:27:28 am »
So far I think I want one.  Just have to see how VW compete with the Mk VII  GTI.   

I really hope the ST will sell so as MKII suggested, we might then get the RS  but I think Ford's engineers would be well advised to get a perfect ( or as good as the DSG/DCT/PDK) Powershift transmission in the ST for the 90% of people who just won't consider a manual.

Yep, when the vast majority of consumers won't consider a manual tranny,  the AT you offer better not be the weak link in your car!
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 07:40:23 am »
tpl's playing Tangerine Dreams full blast again....................... ::) :stick: :hello: ...take one out fer a spin and drive the PITH out of it.....

we spent years trying to get orange peel paint out of our car finishes now they charge ya $300 Extra for it....................
:'(
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 08:24:27 am »
Ok Saf, I'll do that in the heat of the midday sun as well shall I?    ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 08:48:19 am »
 ::) Today ....35C forecast with Humidity a Tiger would hate.....seems a GOOD TIME will be had by ALL.....except U.............that should restrict the HP to your abilities..... ;) :stick: (saucy!! ;) boy)......remember torque first then STEER..............then we can discuss a GTO i owned by a lil olde man from Passaguelphia..............

Offline Whofan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 08:51:11 am »
Now we are talking.. but  few years too late, had a 2005 ST, didn't like it.  Now... I can't justify it to the wife getting a small car like that :)

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 09:05:42 am »
Great pricing, it comes very close that what the G1 SVT was priced at but offers so much more.

Good point about the faux torque vectoring likely to increase brake fade at the track.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 09:06:46 am »
Great pricing, it comes very close that what the G1 SVT was priced at but offers so much more.

Good point about the faux torque vectoring likely to increase brake fade at the track.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 09:39:18 am »

I actually really appreciate automakers that refuse to put automatics in cars like this, sales figures be damned. The day Honda starts selling the Civic Si with an automatic will be a dark day in my books...

vdk

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 09:59:42 am »

I actually really appreciate automakers that refuse to put automatics in cars like this, sales figures be damned. The day Honda starts selling the Civic Si with an automatic will be a dark day in my books...

What does it matter? You don't want it, don't get it. Nobody's enforcing automatic transmissions on the populous.

I'm curious to know if my chipped GTI would outrun the ST in a race to the mechanic. I think it would.

Oh and 30k for this is pretty good I'd say.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:06:29 am by vdk »

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 10:17:46 am »

Yep. For people who can't shift their own gears and generally want an appliance there's always the base models with less power. If however you want to start enjoying driving, the admission price is learning how to shift!  ;) 

*tongue-in-cheek if that didn't come across already.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 11:08:39 am »

Yup, theres a nice tan Corrola with your name on it. You want the full fat, sport edition, learn how to work a clutch.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 11:10:09 am »
What does it matter? You don't want it, don't get it. Nobody's enforcing automatic transmissions on the populous.

It's about signalling. Eschewing an automatic demonstrates they mean it when they say this car is for enthusiasts.

Offline walk0080

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 MINI factory JCW hatch
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 12:02:54 pm »
Looks good but too bad it took so long for Ford to get this out on the market (same goes for the Fiesta ST). Several years to late as I ended up buying a new MINI John Cooper Works (JCW) instead last year and bypassed all of Ford's products.

I agree - reminds me of the 2000 SVT (I had a 2000 ZX3 for 8 years and could not afford the SVT version at the time).

If the brakes are sized and cooled appropriately, then I doubt the electronic limited slip will cause brake fade. I know of MINI JCW owners who only burn out their brakes if they leave the stability control ON for track use but using the electronic limited slip ("EDLC") seems to be OK. Of course the MINI brakes are huge and not sure how they compare to the new Focus ST on the track.
2012 MINI Factory JCW Eclipse Grey/Chili Red Hardtop, JCW Aero, chrome/black/chili red interior w/ LED lighting, Enkei Imola 17" wheels w/ Hankook Ventus V12, custom reverse camera, various minor mods.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 12:22:44 pm »

Except when an automatic is offered as the only transmission, which is the case for more North American models than not.

Another exception would be a limited run of manuals and your dealer can't find one.

nsmyhte

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 12:23:32 pm »
"This system works wonders on the street, but I did not get a chance to test the system on track where I suspect it may overheat the brakes if it is overused."

Isn't it "used" whenever you take a hard corner and since you have no choice whether to use it or not, I guess its inevitable that the brakes will overheat?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 12:25:50 pm »
Having seen what brake controlled LSD can do to brakes offroad, Id think the same would apply to one used on a track. I think a hard day of lapping or autocrossing would cook the brakes.

vdk

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 01:56:05 pm »

Except when an automatic is offered as the only transmission, which is the case for more North American models than not.

Another exception would be a limited run of manuals and your dealer can't find one.

That's not the case with cars like the GTI, Genesis etc.

vdk

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 01:57:34 pm »

It's about signalling. Eschewing an automatic demonstrates they mean it when they say this car is for enthusiasts.

So cars like the GTI, TT-S, 335i, Ferraris, Lambos etc etc etc are not for enthusiasts?