Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 BMW X3 xDrive35i  (Read 11515 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 BMW X3 xDrive35i
« on: March 08, 2012, 04:02:54 am »

What happens when a luxury crossover thinks it is really a luxury sport-wagon?

Read More...

Offline tinnemeneer

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-13
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2012 BMW X3 xDrive35i
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 04:13:36 am »
- One option missing on the X3 was any sort of blind-spot detection warning system.  Most BMWs do not have this feature, and the argument can be made that if a driver properly sets up his/her mirrors correctly (which BMW will be more than happy to teach you at one of their Advanced Driver Training courses), a blind-spot detection system is not needed.  Still, at 4,648 mm in length, being able to constantly know whether your blind spots are clear wouldn’t hurt. -

I think it is very easy to adjust the mirrors in my BMW and have no blind spot at all. I don't know if that goes for all BMW's or for every one (it might depend on your length (1.98m) and seat adjustment (way back) for all I know) but I can do without a blind-spot detection system.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 06:51:50 am »
Cars in NA are supplied with a flat drivers mirror and a curved passenger side mirror.   Some US regulation I believe.  Certainly for German cars the parts store can special order the curved or double curved drivers side glass which makes the blind spot system unnecessary.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 08:03:30 am »
I got a big kick out of Jeremy Clarkson's review of the X3 on TopGear.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/dirt-war

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 08:35:37 am »
It should be noted that the base X3's inline six is being replaced by the new N20 turbocharged four-cylinder that is in the current 528i, 328i, and base Z4. I believe the 2013 X3 goes into production next month.

Offline hopsoid

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 08:36:40 am »
Base price: $46,900
Options: $14,500 (Executive Package $2,300, M Sport Package $2,900, Technology Package $2,200, Premium Package $4,000, BMW Apps Package $300, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails $150, Storage Compartment Package $350, Metallic Paint $800, Head-Up Display $1,500)
A/C tax: $100
Freight: $1,995
Price as tested: $63,495

Good lord those options are expensive! :-\

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 08:38:59 am »
Base price: $46,900
Options: $14,500 (Executive Package $2,300, M Sport Package $2,900, Technology Package $2,200, Premium Package $4,000, BMW Apps Package $300, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails $150, Storage Compartment Package $350, Metallic Paint $800, Head-Up Display $1,500)
A/C tax: $100
Freight: $1,995
Price as tested: $63,495

Good lord those options are expensive! :-\

The Germans love options!

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 08:55:23 am »
So you liked it then....   ;)
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 09:00:32 am »
I hate it how BMW charges $800 for metallic paint.  ::)

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 09:12:40 am »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 09:40:15 am »
I hate it how BMW charges $800 for metallic paint.  ::)
Would it make you happy if they raised the base price by $800 and give you credit if you want a base paint  ;D

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 09:46:20 am »
4,200 pounds!? 1,800 l of storage space with the rear seats folded? $63k?

Yet again, I have to point out that is the same weight as a V6 Toyota Sienna.

I guess BMW must work some sort of magic if Mike can appreciate the vehicle that much, but I consider myself a driving enthusiast too and don't think I could get around those specs. I'll take my Golf TDI wagon thanks - half the price, more interior storage space, 1,000 pounds less (give or take), and with a center of gravity much lower to enjoy the handling. I hate the tippy feel of sporty SUVs, where they grip hard but you're up in the air feeling vulnerable to rolling over.

Whatever, BMW will sell millions so to those who find this their cup of tea, enjoy...

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 10:00:48 am »

I guess BMW must work some sort of magic if Mike can appreciate the vehicle that much, but I consider myself a driving enthusiast too and don't think I could get around those specs. I'll take my Golf TDI wagon thanks - half the price, more interior storage space, 1,000 pounds less (give or take), and with a center of gravity much lower to enjoy the handling. I hate the tippy feel of sporty SUVs, where they grip hard but you're up in the air feeling vulnerable to rolling over.

Whatever, BMW will sell millions so to those who find this their cup of tea, enjoy...

People who are shopping for a X3 xDrive35i are no where close to shopping for a Sienna or Golf TDI wagon.  ::) Totally different vehicles for different wants and needs.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:03:07 am by 1TSX »

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 10:03:52 am »
My 2011 X3 35i MSport is nearly identical to the one shown in the article. The only difference I see is neither set of wheels that I have are the same as the ones shown, this being a 2012 model and the MSport wheels are differnt. I prefer mine.

I have about 16,500 kms on mine now, having bot it in May '11. I just returned from S.Calif where I put on a total of over 8,500 kms driving down and back and two months of urban driving down there. I averaged 10.6l/100 for the entire trip, including both down/back and urban. The hiway travel was just excellant in the X3, powerful, comfortable and easy to drive as fast as you need. The sport seats do an excellant job of holding you in place, and rival the sport seats in my previous M3.

I do not think adding another nanny system for blind spot is necessary. The X3 is about 183 ins long, and has good rear and side visibility. If you cannot set your mirrors properly, take the bus. Jeez.

As to the extra price for certain paints, this is a common item for most German and other makers, and you will encounter it often. Not a biggie in my opinion.

There are those (few in NA but many of them seem to be on forums generally) that prefer wagons, but unless you have actually driven the new X3 extensively, you cannot know how good it feels from reading the spec sheet. Wagons just do not sell well in NA, for whatever reason. I have previously owned a 328xi wagon and can see their appeal, but again, the market does not agree.

Yes, it is expensive, so are a lot of vehicles. For a family of (say) four or five, a van may be a better choice, enjoy it. I find my X3 35i to be a great combo of practicality and fun for year-round use.

2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 10:06:39 am »

People who are shopping for a X3 xDrive35i are no where close to shopping for a Sienna or Golf TDI wagon.  ::) Totally different vehicles for different wants and needs.

Very true - just pointing out that for a sport machine it's fat as a pig. I think most people in the market for a BMW like this want...a BMW, and aren't interested in crazy details like that.

For a more direct comparison then, how about a Mazda CX-5 - 800 pounds less, better mileage, same interior volume, and half the price. Oh wait, same problem, no roundel.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 10:07:58 am »

You left out that the BMW has 160 more horsepower and 64 more pound-feet of torque compared to the Golf TDI.  It also can take tall items. 

I have driven both in the past two months and am getting a week long Golf TDI tester in two weeks time.  It is a terrific car on its own but as a 'drivers' car, the BMW blows it away (As it should for that ridiculous price)

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 10:10:27 am »

Very true - just pointing out that for a sport machine it's fat as a pig. I think most people in the market for a BMW like this want...a BMW, and aren't interested in crazy details like that.

For a more direct comparison then, how about a Mazda CX-5 - 800 pounds less, better mileage, same interior volume, and half the price. Oh wait, same problem, no roundel.

lol, the CX-5 in my garage right now waiting for our comparison test this weekend.  Again, great CUV, might even buy one in the next few years, but with 155 hp and a focus on fuel savings, it is not a sporty vehicle.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 10:16:48 am »

It may be a porky but it HAULS A$$ and will outperform many a "sport" sedans, one particular example stands out is that respect.
And in addition to that, the fuel economy doesn't seem to suffer at all as it returns more than respectable numbers given its mass and power, again unlike some other examples that may even have some sort of electric assist that appears to be more a liability that benefit fuel economy.

So what exactly is your gripe with the weight?

"For a more direct comparison then, how about a Mazda CX-5"? Are you kidding? Direct comparison?

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 10:44:10 am »

It may be a porky but it HAULS A$$ and will outperform many a "sport" sedans, one particular example stands out is that respect.
And in addition to that, the fuel economy doesn't seem to suffer at all as it returns more than respectable numbers given its mass and power, again unlike some other examples that may even have some sort of electric assist that appears to be more a liability that benefit fuel economy.

So what exactly is your gripe with the weight?

"For a more direct comparison then, how about a Mazda CX-5"? Are you kidding? Direct comparison?

My gripe with the weight? I've never admired inefficiency, no matter if it can be compensated for with extra power. Most auto companies, including BMW, are now attempting to reduce weight in their vehicles.

Why is a CX-5 not a competitor? Similar size, same concept, marketed as fun to drive just like a Bimmer, AWD, etc.? Of course the BMW has much more power, so if a sub 6 second 0-60 time is at the top of your priority list, i suppose it's no contest. In the real world though, I'd think if you were looking for a smallish SUV that was designed to be fun to drive (for a CUV), it's similar in concept. I would cross shop the two if I were in the market, realizing of course that an extra 30k gets you a lot more bells and whistles, and power.   

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 11:10:22 am »
My 2011 X3 35i MSport is nearly identical to the one shown in the article. The only difference I see is neither set of wheels that I have are the same as the ones shown, this being a 2012 model and the MSport wheels are differnt. I prefer mine.

I have about 16,500 kms on mine now, having bot it in May '11. I just returned from S.Calif where I put on a total of over 8,500 kms driving down and back and two months of urban driving down there. I averaged 10.6l/100 for the entire trip, including both down/back and urban. The hiway travel was just excellant in the X3, powerful, comfortable and easy to drive as fast as you need. The sport seats do an excellant job of holding you in place, and rival the sport seats in my previous M3.

I do not think adding another nanny system for blind spot is necessary. The X3 is about 183 ins long, and has good rear and side visibility. If you cannot set your mirrors properly, take the bus. Jeez.

As to the extra price for certain paints, this is a common item for most German and other makers, and you will encounter it often. Not a biggie in my opinion.

There are those (few in NA but many of them seem to be on forums generally) that prefer wagons, but unless you have actually driven the new X3 extensively, you cannot know how good it feels from reading the spec sheet. Wagons just do not sell well in NA, for whatever reason. I have previously owned a 328xi wagon and can see their appeal, but again, the market does not agree.

Yes, it is expensive, so are a lot of vehicles. For a family of (say) four or five, a van may be a better choice, enjoy it. I find my X3 35i to be a great combo of practicality and fun for year-round use.

Nice review, if I had the coin, I could see it sitting my drive, well probably not , with alot of coin it would be a X5  ;D