Author Topic: Strange Clutch Problem 2001 Prelude SE  (Read 1878 times)

Offline puffnpluky

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 Honda Prelude SE
Strange Clutch Problem 2001 Prelude SE
« on: September 25, 2016, 09:27:33 pm »
A couple days ago, my clutch started doing this thing where sometimes when I pushed the clutch pedal down, it would get really hard to press and stop before the clutch releases. I'd have to keep my foot on the pedal with a lot of pressure for a while before it would kind of click down the rest of the way and the clutch would disengage. Other times, it will go right to the floor smoothly and feel like a brand new clutch. This seems to just happen randomly while I'm driving about 25% of the time I press in the clutch, which makes me think it's something hydraulic. It seems to happen most after accelerating from a light but sometimes it happens when I downshift before a turn. The pedal stops a little below halfway and I can't push it further, and I can't get the transmission into the next gear cause the clutch is still engaged, but eventually the pedal will go down to the floor and I can shift normally for a few mins after that.

Had a mechanic just look at the engine bay while I pumped the clutch pedal and he said that all the hydraulic components seem to be in place just fine.

And yes my clutch fluid is full. I don't know if there's air in the hydraulic system but I feel like the problem would happen 100% of the time if there was. Clutch is not slipping at all.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Strange Clutch Problem 2001 Prelude SE
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 10:24:47 pm »
Make any noises?? Any vibrations through pedal?? Does it pickup at a normal point or really high or low??

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 04:33:49 pm »
On some vehicles the release bearing slides over a sleeve, if it gets marred or the bearing gets cocked or the bearing fork gets bent it does what you describe.

Unfortunately it means the tranny coming out to fix.

BTW, I have no experience with Honda, I might be off base.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 04:35:38 pm by blur911 »
Mr Pickypants

Offline puffnpluky

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 Honda Prelude SE
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 02:59:46 pm »
Took it to the shop. Clutch springs had popped out of place which may have been causing the low squealing noise I got while releasing the clutch too. New clutch going in.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 04:53:30 pm »
Took it to the shop. Clutch springs had popped out of place which may have been causing the low squealing noise I got while releasing the clutch too. New clutch going in.

Probably not the worst service to perform.  I'm sure some new friction material was greatly appreciated by the car, too.