Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Land Rover LR4  (Read 7548 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Land Rover LR4
« on: August 08, 2012, 04:10:03 am »

The Land Rover LR4 won over Senior Editor Jonathan Yarkony with its sophisticated looks and practicality despite the big fuel bill.

Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Land Rover LR4
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 08:17:51 am »
Times sure have changed.   Those happy days of 2 litres gas or diesel , 4 on the floor + transfer case and mostly flat aluminium body panels...that is the tan one but even the many years later  version was a simple machine compared to the tested one.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 08:22:16 am by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 08:52:35 am »
So if you are  normal height,  over 185  ;D, it would be a very tight fit in the back

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:15:59 am »
This vehicle and the Jeep Patriot featured here recently look very similar.. Oh…ok luxury trim and V8 and so on…I realize that the content is very different; but if you are into murderous terrain a rubber floor mat would be probably more suitable surely. If most of these will never see anything but asphalt or maybe a graded track to the cottage that any vehicle can negotiate… then maybe on this basis it is just the luxury that is being purchased and the aura and that is ok.
 Still, is there an off-road comparison any where for the Pat and LR. The Patriot is trail rated whatever that means…probably it will do more than I would ever try in my wildest dreams. Make that nightmares. So, as a matter of interest, how much less will the much cheaper ‘trail rated’ vehicle do on the trail on a ‘rare occasion’ basis. Is there an objective study anywhere? The ‘seats folded’ flat floor is very practical.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 10:39:31 am »
I used to love the Discovery, there was a guy down our street that had a yellow Camel Trophy edition and every weekend hed come back from wherever with his LandRover buddies and all their rigs would be covered in mud and have a new dent somewhere. I used to love it, it was my dream rig for years and a yellow Camel Trophy Disco is still on my "must own" list. The newer ones have stopped doing anything for me, they are just another luxury soccer mom assault vehicle, they no longer hold that idea that I could jump in and conquer South America, now, they are just another shiny societal placeholder.......That saddens me. Im sure the leather and sat nav is great, but hows the underbody and rocker protection, sure the third row seats children but are the tow points any good?? Long live the Disco.

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 11:12:57 am »
^^ I agree. Land Rovers and Land Cruisers should be tough..have rubber mats, power take offs, winches on the front, solid steel sump guards and be capable of a good try at the Darien Gap.     Lexus SUVs and Range Rovers are luxury vehicles for use at country clubs and shopping malls.

Northernridge

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 11:46:50 am »
I used to love the Discovery, there was a guy down our street that had a yellow Camel Trophy edition and every weekend hed come back from wherever with his LandRover buddies and all their rigs would be covered in mud and have a new dent somewhere. I used to love it, it was my dream rig for years and a yellow Camel Trophy Disco is still on my "must own" list. The newer ones have stopped doing anything for me, they are just another luxury soccer mom assault vehicle, they no longer hold that idea that I could jump in and conquer South America, now, they are just another shiny societal placeholder.......That saddens me. Im sure the leather and sat nav is great, but hows the underbody and rocker protection, sure the third row seats children but are the tow points any good?? Long live the Disco.

I hear you. I almost bought an LR4 because I have some great off-road trails at the lake (real ones with mud, rocks and stumps) thinking the rig would be a great daily driver plus a comfy weekend toy. But I chickened out and bought the Berlin taxi for commuting and this rig for the bush...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 11:51:37 am »

I hear you. I almost bought an LR4 because I have some great off-road trails at the lake (real ones with mud, rocks and stumps) thinking the rig would be a great daily driver plus a comfy weekend toy. But I chickened out and bought the Berlin taxi for commuting and this rig for the bush...

I like the side x sides, cool rigs. The LR4 is allready way to urbanized to be able to keep up with it. I think the low profile tires and huge rims would be destroyed on the aformentioned mud, rocks and stiumps. My dad really likes these, the only think I warned him about it the reliability.......or lack there of.

Northernridge

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 12:29:49 pm »

I like the side x sides, cool rigs. The LR4 is allready way to urbanized to be able to keep up with it. I think the low profile tires and huge rims would be destroyed on the aformentioned mud, rocks and stiumps. My dad really likes these, the only think I warned him about it the reliability.......or lack there of.

My pickup can't follow it either. I'm a little worried about reliability too...so far so good though. The thing is a monster off road. I am not an expert driver nor terribly brave but I am astonished what it will go through..in the mud it just slides around a bit until the tires find purchase and surges ahead. Also clocked it at 53 mph on a gravel road with the GPS, same reading as the speedo. Got the model with power steering...some semblance of civility. Oh yea, dual gun scabbards too.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 10:18:46 pm »
^^ I agree. Land Rovers and Land Cruisers should be tough..have rubber mats, power take offs, winches on the front, solid steel sump guards and be capable of a good try at the Darien Gap.     Lexus SUVs and Range Rovers are luxury vehicles for use at country clubs and shopping malls.
you can get a nicely equipped Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for $30k that is a pretty decently capable off roader...not saying it's the best thing since sliced bread, but for $30k, it's a solid off roader and FAR less expensive.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 10:41:18 pm »
Jeep Wrangler is a SERIOUS off-roader.  Not a poseur mobile at all.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 12:02:40 am »
you can get a nicely equipped Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for $30k that is a pretty decently capable off roader...not saying it's the best thing since sliced bread, but for $30k, it's a solid off roader and FAR less expensive.

Oh a Wrangler Rubicon is a much better offroad machine than anything out there when it comes to offroading, nothing this side of an ATV will touch it. Just too bad to see the LR4 fall so far from where it used to be.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 08:53:28 am »
I think the point is that these vehicles are not really suposed to go blasting up trails. 70k to drive over stumps...I don't think so; and as someone else said...the std. tires here would not survive probably. Maybe it should be, and I think it is, reviewed as a luxury vehicle for the well off. Take away it's capabilities though and it would not stand out for them.
Personally, I don't think that vehicles with a heavy lean towards off road driving are a comparrison to the subject vehicle here and believe that the Patriot is a contemporary...albeit sans the luxury and no doubt ultimate capability. How much less that is for real purposes...is unknown.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:27:22 am by Rupert »

Northernridge

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 09:36:22 am »
Tires aside the LR4 does have real off road chops, it's not like the Range Rovers at all. People really do take them off road...not many, but some.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 08:40:57 am »
I think the point is that these vehicles are not really suposed to go blasting up trails. 70k to drive over stumps...I don't think so; and as someone else said...the std. tires here would not survive probably. Maybe it should be, and I think it is, reviewed as a luxury vehicle for the well off. Take away it's capabilities though and it would not stand out for them.

In other countries, the Discovery (as it's known elsewhere) can be had with a much more basic interior, small diesel motor, and six-speed manual transmission. Obviously, the North American market cares little for those kind of SUVs.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 12:52:19 pm »
Yeah, NA wants the aura of 'The Snows Of killimanjarro' but not the rough arsed ride.