Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Lexus RC F  (Read 25814 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 Lexus RC F
« on: April 21, 2015, 06:32:38 am »

Too much of a good thing is awesome.
Read More...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Lexus RC F
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 07:18:13 am »
I know the author of this article loves this new RC F but the article seems to confirm that it's a disappointment in a lot of area's.  If I was shopping in this price range I wouldn't even swing by Lexus dealer.  The Germans have much better produces in my view and they all look way better than this Lexus.  If I wanted naturally aspirated V8 power with RWD and character out the wahzoo I think I'd save about $40K and get a proper American Muscle car (my fav right now has to be the Dodge Challenger RT Scatpack).

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 07:21:49 am »
I know the author of this article loves this new RC F but the article seems to confirm that it's a disappointment in a lot of area's. 

Duuuuude! Spoilers!!!  :rofl:

Seriously though, exactly right. I love it, but I also think that Lexus might have a hard time convincing anyone but the Lexus faithful to take this over another rig in this class. I'm glad that came through in your read!

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 07:22:54 am »
I'm not 100% sold on the new M3/M4, but there is no planet on which I see many people picking the Lexus instead. Surely the transmission is a total deal breaker, presuming potential buyers can get past the horrible aftermarket looks.

Offline AvgCdnMale

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Cadillac ATS 3.6
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 08:13:15 am »
Impressive performance. Love that paint colour.

A face I don't even know if it's own mother would love.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 08:20:59 am »
This car is well-suited to parking lots, particularly ones on old disused airfields. Or so I'm told.  ;)
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 09:03:53 am »
Reading this prompted me to go back and read my own thoughts on the M4 from last summer.  Geez that was a sensational machine.  The RC is a nice GT car, but even then, I think I'd rather go for an AMG instead. 

As the others have said... I think the Germans still have this category locked down. 

That said, if I'm looking to buy any of them used in 3-4 years, the Lexus rep for quality and longevity would certainly come into play at that point.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 09:40:23 am »
Seems that the author hit it on the head.

"The transmission is the real weak point in the drivetrain. The Torque-Vectoring differential is neat, and makes up for the lack of a proper LSD somewhat, but that gearbox – arg.
When you consider the RC F against the M4, the transmission is going to factor in. Especially given the M4 is available with a manual. This is something I expect Lexus will address in short order.
The speed of the shifts, not offering a manual transmission."

A big factor when considering a sports car.

Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 09:44:02 am »
What's wrong with the speed of the shifts.  Does the RCF not have the torque converter lockout and 0.1ms shift times?

You have to put it in manual and sport mode to engage this.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 09:49:42 am »
Hmm it does.
http://www.torquenews.com/1083/2015-lexus-rc-f-s-most-amazing-feature-transmission

I have never felt a transmission this good in any track-worthy car and that includes the manuals in the CTS-V, Camaro ZL-1, Camaro LT1, and Corvette Stingray I drove this year.

Odd.  Guess I need to drive it myself, I assume it's the same as the ISF and well that transmission is wonderful, the upshifts are instant.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 10:12:29 am »
I was also going to ask about the tranny given rrocket's praise of the 8-er in the ISF.

I love it, but I also think that Lexus might have a hard time convincing anyone but the Lexus faithful to take this over another rig in this class.
I'm not so sure that I agree.  While the M4 is a better performer, this RCF is a much, MUCH nicer machine in so many other ways. 

Sitting beside the RS5, which one garnered more attention?  The RCF.

Which one was painted Obnoxious Orange (the official term for the colour)?  The RCF.

Which one produced a better exhaust note?  The Genesis 3.6 R-Spec...but then the RCF over the RS5.

Which one has the nicer interior?  The RCF.

Which one looked more menacing and with stronger presence?  The RCF.

The M4 is ubiquitous.  If you want outright performance, no question it's the tops.  If you want understated performance, the M4 or the C63.  If you want a cohesive package that'll have women grabbing at your package, it's the RCF.

I walked away from this beast actually wanting it.  It's the first Coupe (other than the Z4) that's ever gotten that attention from me.

...and the way you, Jacob, introduced me to Orangina, as she shall be now named, was beautiful.  Love at first sight (after you successfully executed the turn without hitting anything or anyone).

As for the article:
I have been known to eat an entire Costco tub of sour key lollies over the course of a single day.
I did that yesterday!!!  SOOO good.

I get the impression that Doriftucus (the God of Drift, obviously)
:rofl:  See, this is why hiring the young'ns is good.  You get funny sh!t instead of "this car has x hp and drives forward if you put it into "D" mode."  The D-mode you refer to here is way better:

Aficionados of all-things gold-chained will be disappointed to learn that the Lexus RC F cannot be parked in douchebag mode.
:rofl: :rofl:

And, of course, the love between you and JY is unquestionable:
“Pfft, that’s lame!” he grunted, throwing his Gryffindor scarf around his neck.
Adorable.

^^ this looks like the RCF did something bad and it doesn't care.  "Psshhhaw, yeah, I know I did it.  Whatever, whatever, I'll do what I want!"

I love it.  This car, in orange (I saw one in white and didn't care for it), gets me going far better than the M4 ever could.

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 10:41:27 am »
I don't get the love for the Lexus's looks. In the picture in your comment, it looks like a Nissan Altima coupe that's been given the fast and furious treatment by a dodgy tuner.

I was also going to ask about the tranny given rrocket's praise of the 8-er in the ISF.

I love it, but I also think that Lexus might have a hard time convincing anyone but the Lexus faithful to take this over another rig in this class.
I'm not so sure that I agree.  While the M4 is a better performer, this RCF is a much, MUCH nicer machine in so many other ways. 

Which one was painted Obnoxious Orange (the official term for the colour)?  The RCF.

Which one produced a better exhaust note?  The Genesis 3.6 R-Spec...but then the RCF over the RS5.

The M4 is ubiquitous.  If you want outright performance, no question it's the tops.  If you want understated performance, the M4 or the C63.  If you want a cohesive package that'll have women grabbing at your package, it's the RCF.

I walked away from this beast actually wanting it.  It's the first Coupe (other than the Z4) that's ever gotten that attention from me.

...and the way you, Jacob, introduced me to Orangina, as she shall be now named, was beautiful.  Love at first sight (after you successfully executed the turn without hitting anything or anyone).

As for the article:
I have been known to eat an entire Costco tub of sour key lollies over the course of a single day.
I did that yesterday!!!  SOOO good.

I get the impression that Doriftucus (the God of Drift, obviously)
:rofl:  See, this is why hiring the young'ns is good.  You get funny sh!t instead of "this car has x hp and drives forward if you put it into "D" mode."  The D-mode you refer to here is way better:

Aficionados of all-things gold-chained will be disappointed to learn that the Lexus RC F cannot be parked in douchebag mode.
:rofl: :rofl:

And, of course, the love between you and JY is unquestionable:
“Pfft, that’s lame!” he grunted, throwing his Gryffindor scarf around his neck.
Adorable.

^^ this looks like the RCF did something bad and it doesn't care.  "Psshhhaw, yeah, I know I did it.  Whatever, whatever, I'll do what I want!"

I love it.  This car, in orange (I saw one in white and didn't care for it), gets me going far better than the M4 ever could.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 11:16:18 am »
What's wrong with the speed of the shifts.  Does the RCF not have the torque converter lockout and 0.1ms shift times?

You have to put it in manual and sport mode to engage this.

Do you really think I never put the thing in the sport mode and manual mode?! Seriously?!  :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2:

Anyway, in manual mode the downshifts are especially slow. Painfully so. Upshifts are a little better, but are much faster in automatic mode. In automatic mode (as I wrote in the article) the kick-down takes forever, even in Sport+ mode (which I spent most of the week in, hence the hilarious fuel economy figure).

Torque News can say what they like, I drove it, and my experience was a woefully slow transmission.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 11:24:04 am »

I would have to disagree, I would take the M4 or (previous gen) C63 over this in a heartbeat.  Yes it certainly has presence, but:

More attention doesn't equal good.

The colour doesn't make it better.

The exhaust note I expected to be much much better than it was, both the Germans would win over this.

Interiors are subjective, and I don't like the trackpad anyway.

The M4 performs better.

And most women will look at that huge orange appendage and think you're an idiot with a complex.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 11:24:46 am »
Just makes no sense.  It's instantly on the paddles in the ISF.  Guess they foobared that on the RC then.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 11:56:23 am »

I would have to disagree, I would take the M4 or (previous gen) C63 over this in a heartbeat.  Yes it certainly has presence, but:

The exhaust note I expected to be much much better than it was, both the Germans would win over this.

The M4 performs better.

And most women will look at that huge orange appendage and think you're an idiot with a complex.
I maintain my position, but highlight that indeed, things like colour do matter to some buyers.  ...and again, the M4 doesn't 'blow the RCF out of the water'...it just performs slightly better when driven all-out.

So, if you are looking for a sport-coupe that you never plan on taking to a track, how is the M4 better?  I would argue that it's not unless you prefer understated.  I do not.

I love the trackpad, by the way.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 12:21:06 pm »
Motortrend disagrees with you...
While the test numbers give the M4 the edge, the real world proves more of a level playing field. If you forget the numbers, you'll have a great time in either car. How can you not? They are, after all, luxury hot rods with precise steering, sharp handling, and hugely enjoyable, 400-plus-horsepower powertrains.
When pushed, the BMW drives the way the Lexus looks, and vice versa.
We drew quite a few new lines around our local Streets of Willow racetrack where resident hot shoe Randy Pobst set lap times and gave impressions. Those lap times? They fell within 0.3 second of each other with the M4 ahead, no surprise considering the advantage it held during our tests.

...and Jables, the writer there felt the issue with the transmission was how it behaved in the Sport+ mode - perhaps it would be faster in non-crazy mode?

The same goes for the transmission. "I don't like the most aggressive setting because I think it actually unsettles the chassis on upshifts," Pobst said. "It hits with such a bang."

...and finally:
We preferred the Lexus around town, as it's a more interesting car to sit in thanks to its wealth of technical and visual details. The styling may be a large miss, but we admire the effort. And we were genuinely impressed with the ground the RC F made up on the racetrack. It offers performance similar to the M4's, but it feels friendlier.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 12:24:55 pm »
Really love the way this car looks but that slushbox is disappointing to say the least when you are supposed to be making an M3/M4 competitor. Also 4000+ lbs....wow, thats a lot.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 12:46:40 pm »
Really love the way this car looks but that slushbox is disappointing to say the least when you are supposed to be making an M3/M4 competitor. Also 4000+ lbs....wow, thats a lot.
When Lexus explains that budgetary constraints meant that the RC-F gained weight because it uses the front end of the GS, the mid-section of the last-gen IS-C, and the rear of the current-gen IS sedan.

I'd say that's fairly inexcusable given Toyota's wealth.  Make it proper or don't make it at all.

...with that being said, they got to what, 90% of the performance?  It's just a redesign away from shedding 400lbs with the use of different materials.  Perhaps.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 12:55:18 pm »

The M4 performs better.

I maintain my position, but highlight that indeed, things like colour do matter to some buyers.  ...and again, the M4 doesn't 'blow the RCF out of the water'...it just performs slightly better when driven all-out.

So, if you are looking for a sport-coupe that you never plan on taking to a track, how is the M4 better?  I would argue that it's not unless you prefer understated.  I do not.

I love the trackpad, by the way.

If you're going to do orange, at least make it bright.  Personally I think the M4 looks better inside and out, sounds better, performs much better, and has better heritage.  Same for the C63.  That's enough for me, track performance doesn't matter.

In the long run the Lexus might be more reliable, but I buy a car like this because I have a passion for cars, not because it's the longest lasting appliance.

I'm not asking you to agree with me, each to their own, I'm just telling you why I disagree.  IMHO the M4 is a far superior car.